Page 1 of 3
Apologies if there is already a thread about this; I searched but didn't find anything and will delete when pointed in the right direction.

250,000 people are protesting in London today against cuts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12864353

Just wondering if anyone went (although you're probably still there), and just generally people's views on it.

I just get confused with the current plans, whereby we are trying to cut a deficit but cutting jobs at the same time. Tories keep banging on about how they are going to cut benefits / welfare, but surely, with more people becoming unemployed, there's just going to be more people having to claim? I.e. not earning anything, relying on the state because there's a lack of jobs, and thereby creating more of a problem. Seems to me like it's creating a vicious cycle.

Do we not have to create jobs, rather than cut them, to generate a better economy, or am I just speaking nonsense? In some ways, though I wasn't there, it seems like we are living through the 80s again; Tories, war, unemployment, strikes, protests

That's just my two cents anyway. I do support the protest, but couldn't get down there today sadly.

EDIT: Apparently it was more like 500,000 people. Bloody hell
Last edited by fender_696 at Mar 26, 2011,
I live three minutes away from Hyde Park, and this is the first I've heard about this.
Shows how much I care.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I support them, hopefully it stays peaceful.

They pay taxes so even if it gets violent the police won't do anything.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
And the tories still won't change their mind.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
It's funny how the jobs that are cut are always the ones where people actually do work, yet you have bureaucrats and useless managers making 10x as much who still retain their jobs.
I clicked the link and my eyes immidietly followed to the "Defecating dog sparks US shootout" story.
The Americans got it right. Peacful protests never sort anything out.

People in parliment should be being payed pitance so that they can understand what it's like. THEN we'd have people who actually love the job they are working at and not live in a comfy bubble.
Quote by fender_696

250,000 people are protesting in London today against cuts.

Just wondering if anyone went...

You er, you answered your own question
hello
My girlfriend went to see Les Miserables in London today, she said it was pretty scary seeing the banks all messed up.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Oh God I lol'ed

Quote by Ēzio

Would you like to see my Soundcloud?
I love Padgea7x
Quote by opc100
You er, you answered your own question
Touche

I think you knew what I was getting at though
Protests wont do anything to change their minds, violent or not.

It might be worth having a violent protest just to give some people jobs to clean up the place after wards.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
I think it's a testament to how effective peaceful protest is when 250,000 people are overshadowed by the few groups (maybe adding up to around a thousand or so people) who actually do something, whether that be occupation or just smashing shit up.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Kensai
They pay taxes so even if it gets violent the police won't do anything.

This makes no sense ...? The police here are ****ing brutal.
Quote by Lolly101

Yeah, one of them told me to stop cycling on the pavement once and put my name down in a book.

Bastard.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by Lolly101

It means if you're a student or otherwise worthless to the goverment the police use pretty brutal methods, these people are regular tax-paying guys so they won't get the same brutal treatment. Just ignored.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
The protests are awesome. You may say that peaceful protests do nothing, but the occupations and sit-ins UKuncut stages were very effective at calling into question the issue of tax avoidance, and they definitely rally the troops and keep everyone motivated. I'd like to think that that's where change can begin.
I think the 250,000 that marched peacefully were fine, but the other groups of UK Uncut and the Anarchists etc were just using today as an excuse to cause as much damage as possible, yet again. It's stupid and embarrassing.
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Yeah, I use a Squier Strat.
Quote by psyks
The protests are awesome. You may say that peaceful protests do nothing, but the occupations and sit-ins UKuncut stages were very effective at calling into question the issue of tax avoidance, and they definitely rally the troops and keep everyone motivated. I'd like to think that that's where change can begin.

have a look at a news channel.

they've been classed as violent protests. The department store they occupied is a 'crime scene' and 'those not believed to have been involved in the violence have been released from police custody' according to the met (and that's who the media are quoting).

Quote by DecaPodge
I think the 250,000 that marched peacefully were fine, but the other groups of UK Uncut and the Anarchists etc were just using today as an excuse to cause as much damage as possible, yet again. It's stupid and embarrassing.

how is it stupid?

which section got more attention?

the 250,000 peaceful people or the 1000 or so 'violent' protesters?

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Mar 26, 2011,
Quote by Lemoninfluence

they've been classed as violent protests. The department store they occupied is a 'crime scene' and 'those not believed to have been involved in the violence have been released from police custody' according to the met (and that's who the media are quoting).

how is it stupid?

Criminals are people who go against the law, the goverment sets the law and pays those that enforce it..

One sided a bit?

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Quote by Lemoninfluence
Meh, the media will take that stance, which is a shame. I haven't found much coverage of this apart from the bbc and twitter
Here's the UK uncut press release about the occupation. Have you seen it cited anywhere? Was it this occupation that was broken up by police?
http://www.ukuncut.org.uk/blog/press-release-uk-uncut-occupy-tax-dodgers-fortnum-and-mason
Quote by Lemoninfluence
how is it stupid?

So that makes it okay?
Oh yeah of course, destroy most of Piccadilly, but it's okay because they got the most coverage and attention!
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Quote by DecaPodge
So that makes it okay?
Oh yeah of course, destroy most of Piccadilly, but it's okay because they got the most coverage and attention!

well if your aim is to get the point across that you're pissed off with what the government is doing, getting coverage is a pretty key task.

It's not really stupid, it's just disagreeable. It achieves certain people's aims but you may not like those aims.

Quote by element4433
Quote by DecaPodge
So that makes it okay?

So what makes it wrong? What makes the peaceful people right?
The tories are shifting further and further right, with the private sectors escaping the cuts and losses, with thousands and thousands of jobs being axed in the public sector. With people depending so much on money, with the economy as it is, prices rising/wages falling etc, the balance had to be tipped somewhere and when you get your paycheck cut, and can no longer support yourself of your family, you don't just stand there and hold a sign, complaining.
If you're a student, I can understand why you don't get it so much, but out in the independant scheme of things, shit really is falling apart.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
So what makes it wrong? What makes the peaceful people right?
The tories are shifting further and further right, with the private sectors escaping the cuts and losses, with thousands and thousands of jobs being axed in the public sector. With people depending so much on money, with the economy as it is, prices rising/wages falling etc, the balance had to be tipped somewhere and when you get your paycheck cut, and can no longer support yourself of your family, you don't just stand there and hold a sign, complaining.
If you're a student, I can understand why you don't get it so much, but out in the independant scheme of things, shit really is falling apart.
I wouldn't say that the violent people are necessarily wrong but it's more a question of effectiveness. If the goal is to incite anger at banks and tax dodgers, you have to ask whether vandalism will work.
You have to remember that a lot of people are still undecided as to whether to blame the banks what with the bullshit the tories bring up all the time. Violence on the other side is fuck easy to twist round to your defence. What's more, remaining peaceful faced with, say, an aggressive police presence, is badass as hell. It's just a shame it doesn't get covered or talked about enough.

Then again, David Cameron doesn't seem like a man who gives a **** what poor people are telling him so maybe fucking shit up is the only way to get a message across...
Yet again stupid dicks making me support the government more.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
had a great day, pretty much closed oxford street. good music and dancing.
hopefully made lots of people aware of tax dodgers, like topshop, f&ms, bhs ...etc
was very creative, i saw some great dancers dressed up as money.

shame about the people kettled on piccadilly, i decided just to keep moving today. apparently the press have been told to leave piccadilly and they've even started arresting legal observers.
now extra flamey
there was a good banner "one bankers bonus will fund a teachers job for 200 years"
now extra flamey
So any real estimates of "500,000" people being there? or just usual trade union crowd estimation technique of making shit up?
Sergio 'Checo' Perez 2013 Formula One World Drivers Champion
The peaceful march was perfectly fine, because there was no harm done and they got a point across.

The anarchists destroying everything was wrong because people got hurt, police officers got hurt, and they were throwing fireworks, missiles and other objects when there were young children around.

Fair enough they were angry, but flipping out in number like that isn't a good thing to do.
You cannot disagree that such violence is wrong in this case, especially when people got put in hospital (and it could have been worse).
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Quote by DecaPodge
The peaceful march was perfectly fine, because there was no harm done and they got a point across.

The anarchists destroying everything was wrong because people got hurt, police officers got hurt, and they were throwing fireworks, missiles and other objects when there were young children around.

Fair enough they were angry, but flipping out in number like that isn't a good thing to do.
You cannot disagree that such violence is wrong in this case, especially when people got put in hospital (and it could have been worse).

To be honest I think this is wrong in itself.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
oh shit, just been called by my mate saying the people who were having a party and camping in trafalgar sq are getting seriously beaten. sounds insane, no press allowed in

the MET twitter: A containment is now in place in Trafalgar Square. The Met Police ask that you remain calm

beat up loads of angry people then kettle them, then tell them to calm down
now extra flamey
Last edited by Ikey at Mar 26, 2011,
From what I saw, it was a peaceful protest but I did see someone hang the UK uncut flag out the window in Fortnum and Mason.

It was a pretty good day out. It was lovely to see people rom so many different groups united.
haha, the bbc a reporting Anarchist protesters baffle police by not being organised.
now extra flamey
No idea what tories are, but reading through that BBC thing and this thread, I have to say I'm fairly opposed to them. Killing jobs to boost the economy makes less sense than the 'Trickle Down' theory. Good luck to the protesters.
I was in central today to meet a friend - protests everywhere and I found myself getting really irritated about how slow the people were walking. There were police everywhere and there was guy who laid unconcious (in front of the Imax Cinema in Waterloo) - not sure if that had something to do with the protests but still...

I walked from Holborn to Waterloo.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by cornmancer
No idea what tories are, but reading through that BBC thing and this thread, I have to say I'm fairly opposed to them. Killing jobs to boost the economy makes less sense than the 'Trickle Down' theory. Good luck to the protesters.

that's basically the other part of their plan.

they cut public spending to cut the deficit

and reduce taxes to boost businesses and this success will trickle down.

so they're spending less to reduce a deficit but cutting tax (which nullifies some of the spending cuts) and hoping that private enterprise (and volunteers, lol) will fill the service gap and create jobs (but more efficiently i.e. less) to reduce the unemployment the government contributed to significantly.

all while allowing a **** ton of tax loophole to continue to exist so the rich can avoid paying around £100+bn in tax which would go quite a way to reducing the deficit.

Quote by element4433
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Mar 26, 2011,
Page 1 of 3