Heya fellas!

I've been using ultimate-guitar for several years now, but I never got around registering on the forum... so here I am

Anyway, um, I've been playing guitar for about 5 years now, and I'm looking into purchasing a new (electric) guitar. I've been using the same one since I started out (a Epiphone standard beginner's kind-of-deal thing, ah, Special II) five years ago!

I know there's a heated debate about what does what to the sound - whether it be the amp or the guitar (or both). I have a pretty solid Line 6 amp, so I'm not looking into getting an amp, but a guitar as said. I don't listen very much to modern rock and metal, so I'm not after a guitar that for that type of music.

Basically, what I listen to, is 60s and 70s rock. Mostly Psychadelic and Acid Rock like Jefferson Airplane, Jimi Hendrix, Quicksilver Messenger Service and so forth!!!

What kind of guitar would you guys recommend to be most suitable for Jefferson Airplane/the psychadelic sound of the 60s? Do note: I want a guitar that is/was used for the psychadelic sound, but I also don't want it to be restricted. I want to be able to play a lot of different stuff, but the main priority is of course the 60s psychadelic sound.

P.S I apologize for any grammatical errors and weird sentence structures, but I've had a few this fine evening hehe ;-)

All the best fellas!
How much do you want to spend? Which Line 6 do you have?
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
get a strat or an sg and paint it all psychadelic colours
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
A GOOD Strat with a set of Fender Custom Shop 69"s pickups. Or if money is no object grab a good Strat and put the EMG DG-20 Active pickup set in. But even with the guitar and the amp you will need a good Fuzz Pedal and possibly a Screamer. This should get you close.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Not entirely sure how much I want to spend, but around 1000-2000$? Are there even strat's at that price range?. I tried the SG once, but it was something about it that I really didn't like (I think it was the "thinness" of it). Though I really like Gibson guitars in general

@ Strat007 - I have a Line 6 Spider III 75 watts (I also have a VOX AC30VR, but I haven't got around using much due to lack of time; studies and so on).

@JohnnyNash - what kind of fuzz pedal and screamer are we talking about here? Anything specific in mind?
Last edited by icep at Mar 26, 2011,
You can get a GOOD MIM Strat for around $700. The Custom Shop Pickups can be around $125 on Ebay NEW. The Pedals differ but you want a good one and not one of the $49 pedals. I actually have 3 Fuzz Pedals now having just bought a Way Huge "Swollen Pickle". It is awesome. (Got it off Ebay on a buy it now price of $94. $35 below cost. The other two are clones of the Triangle Muff and the Ram Muff. The Ram is so so but I love the Triangle. I do use a Tube Screamer with them and sometimes a Echo Pedal. All of this gives me my Pink Floyd tones and I get some great BTO tones.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
^What he said. Some other pedals to consider are the Dunlop Fuzz Face, MXR Carbon Copy, and Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress. If you're going to spend over $1000, the American Standard Strat is ~$1000, and the American Deluxe is around $1500.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Alrighty then! I'll look into those.

Thanks for the tip, guys