So are there any people who develop sites on here?

Ive asked about this in the computer thread but it gets washed away in hardware and standard computer language posts.

I have developed 3 sites, and currently working on one (y)

how many have you worked on?

this would be a great thread to start discussion when people need help with syntax and coding i was thinking as well!
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
I had a less than part time job doing web design a while back. It was alright. It seems like something I could do comfortably if I couldn't do anything else, but with the economy, eh.
Quote by :Vicious--
how did u guys get from pit flags to mace windu raping kids using an ice cream truck

Quote by -Vogel-
"Don't touch my buttsecks"
I'm not very good at it but I have to do it as part of a college course, I'm determined to get better though. In the next 2 months I have to design a site for a music shop.l
I've been studying it as a hobby since 8th grade (now a senior in HS), but so far I'm only into HTML/CSS and learning Javascript. I might like to do it eventually as a career though.
Could be a good thread, but alas I don't think enough people in the pit do website stuff.
Could I get anyone to help me out with general cleanup of this for free?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Could I get anyone to help me out with general cleanup of this for free?

Well what exactly are you looking for?

Since you are using Wordpress as your engine, there are thousands of layouts out there as well

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
Well what exactly are you looking for?

Since you are using Wordpress as your engine, there are thousands of layouts out there as well

At the moment, I'm trying to make the sidebar on the right below the comic disappear and have an orange RSS button show up instead of just the text "rss".
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
At the moment, I'm trying to make the sidebar on the right below the comic disappear and have an orange RSS button show up instead of just the text "rss".

in the css file, for the rss link, add this background line:

.'cssname'{
background-color:#f97b1e;
}

that should add a background colour of orange, you already have it set for on hover to change to orange so you may want to switch that to a red so you can visibly see when you hover on it.

also not quite sure what you mean with the sidebar

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Considering taking it up freelance for a bit of money on the side to get me through university. Just finished a one year course on web design, not 100% satisfied though as we were mostly just taught to use Dreamweaver, I find it more comfortable to edit everything manually rather than use autogenerated crap.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
Considering taking it up freelance for a bit of money on the side to get me through university. Just finished a one year course on web design, not 100% satisfied though as we were mostly just taught to use Dreamweaver, I find it more comfortable to edit everything manually rather than use autogenerated crap.

ive never used dreamweaver but ive heard quite a bit about it, adobe software, is it only about the visual design, how does it incorporate table values and sql?

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
ive never used dreamweaver but ive heard quite a bit about it, adobe software, is it only about the visual design, how does it incorporate table values and sql?

It's actually pretty elegant with SQL, and pretty functional all round, you can connect to a database with a couple of clicks if you know what you are doing, and it will generate the appropriate code automatically, etc. I don't have much experience with that side of it though.
🙈 🙉 🙊
I'm working on one, got two on the waiting list after that one's finished, and also a mobile version of the first one.

Suck at it though, so thank god the websites are really simple.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by entity0009
It's actually pretty elegant with SQL, and pretty functional all round, you can connect to a database with a couple of clicks if you know what you are doing, and it will generate the appropriate code automatically, etc. I don't have much experience with that side of it though.

so if you have a preexisting site, can you connect them together and it takes the preexisting code and allows you to use its tools to alter it?

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
here's my website:

http://lateral-art.com/

it's nothing more than HTML, because I'm more into the whole visual design thing (inb4 'your website looks like ass'), but I will definately be following this thread to learn more about stuff.
My site link is at the bottom. I had the overall concept and design, but my friend developed it. I'm pretty happy with it for the most part, except 2 things in the media page:

1. The custom SoundCloud javascript modules need to have dynamic sizing, and my friend hasn't looked into that yet

2. Instead of video embeds on the video page, I'd rather have thumbnails with a dim-the-lights pop up in the center when watching. We used to have it but Facebook screwed it up.

if anyone has any tips to fix these 2 problems, I'd like to hear it!

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 27, 2011,
Quote by JimmyBanks6
so if you have a preexisting site, can you connect them together and it takes the preexisting code and allows you to use its tools to alter it?

Indeed.
🙈 🙉 🙊
I'm taking Intro to Web Design right now.

Maybe I'll be able to contribute in a few weeks.
Every poster on here is a 6-foot Catholic schoolgirl with an 8-inch penis and riches beyond my wildest dreams.
Last edited by Wuai Bel Ree at Mar 27, 2011,
Quote by Wuai Bel Ree
I'm taking Intro to Web Design right now.

Maybe I'll be able to contribute in a few weeks.

Web Design isn't that hard really.
Quote by creelers
Web Design isn't that hard really.

It depends. Making a website to get across basic information isn't hard, but making a website can go sooooo much beyond that, both from an aesthetic and coding aspect.
Quote by CoreysMonster
here's my website:

http://lateral-art.com/

it's nothing more than HTML, because I'm more into the whole visual design thing (inb4 'your website looks like ass'), but I will definately be following this thread to learn more about stuff.

I'm lovin that background.

Anyone have any starter tips for meh? I've been really bored lately and need something to occupy my time. Website development seems like a handy tool to have in today's age so I'm interested in picking it up
Quote by Sammythedruggie
I'm lovin that background.

Anyone have any starter tips for meh? I've been really bored lately and need something to occupy my time. Website development seems like a handy tool to have in today's age so I'm interested in picking it up

tbh the way i started learning was i had some programming (C standard) background so my brother wanted me to set him up a forum site,

so i learnt that way, and altered code and did what i needed to get it how we wanted.
take a look at the site if you want.

www.blizzboards.com, its a blizzard entertainment discussion forum

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Mar 27, 2011,
Quote by entity0009
Indeed.

so i have the dreamweaver trail to give er a shot,

i have figured out how to link the site and i have managed to download it, but whenever i go to try it using my computer as the trail host, it gives me errors from the links in the config file that link the {baseurl} and {basedir}

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/home/blizzbo1/public_html/over-heard/temporary/sessions\sess_69i6ftpugovfvam2urvmf0ndu1, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in C:\xampp\htdocs\php_test\include\config.php on line 16

Notice: Use of undefined constant baseurl - assumed 'baseurl' in C:\xampp\htdocs\php_test\include\config.php on line 18

now i would understand this error 100% if it was actually online, but since its located on my computer now i dont know how to fix the directory and url

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Mar 28, 2011,
Quote by CoreysMonster
It depends. Making a website to get across basic information isn't hard, but making a website can go sooooo much beyond that, both from an aesthetic and coding aspect.

Me gusta your color scheme, as well as the simplicity.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by JimmyBanks6
so i have the dreamweaver trail to give er a shot,

i have figured out how to link the site and i have managed to download it, but whenever i go to try it using my computer as the trail host, it gives me errors from the links in the config file that link the {baseurl} and {basedir}

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/home/blizzbo1/public_html/over-heard/temporary/sessions\sess_69i6ftpugovfvam2urvmf0ndu1, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in C:\xampp\htdocs\php_test\include\config.php on line 16

Notice: Use of undefined constant baseurl - assumed 'baseurl' in C:\xampp\htdocs\php_test\include\config.php on line 18

now i would understand this error 100% if it was actually online, but since its located on my computer now i dont know how to fix the directory and url

Have you defined the site? You go to site > Manage sites (I think? Something similar. As I said, I don't work much with DW), then create a new site profile, go to edit and choose the root directory. That might be the problem. If you've done that it might be an issue with relative filepaths, it's a bit funny about how it handles them.
🙈 🙉 🙊
I'm currently in the process of designing a site for new music similar to Digg. Basically, users submit a song, cool stuff gets voted to the top and the home page, lame stuff dies off.

The main part I gotta get working is how to integrate the MP3 hosting in and trigger it so users have to listen to about 30 seconds of a song before voting. Then, promotion :p
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by entity0009
Have you defined the site? You go to site > Manage sites (I think? Something similar. As I said, I don't work much with DW), then create a new site profile, go to edit and choose the root directory. That might be the problem. If you've done that it might be an issue with relative filepaths, it's a bit funny about how it handles them.

Yeah i defined it,

the error seems to be coming from the root directory and file locations because when its uploaded online it uses the mysql and cpanel file locations, (/public_html/)

however on windows its located in a C:\ location, and i feel as though its confused at the differences.

if you understand what i mean

Also, i have smarty syntax installed, would that cause a problem on DW?

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Mar 29, 2011,
Quote by CoreysMonster

You following the course online? If so, please share where, if it's any good ;D
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
So my sites really coming together, i have automatic twitter and facebook page/app posts happening from the RSS as well.

still looking for help with writing a mobile site though if anybody has any information

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Bumping this because I need help. I'm writing a webcomic, and I'd like to clean up the site before it launches. If you click around enough, you should notice that a few things seem a bit out of place - superfluous buttons, etc. Anyway, if someone wants to take a crack at cleaning it up, let me know and I'll get you access to the CSS... after taking a backup of the site and everything on it.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

Quote by FrustratedRocka
Bumping this because I need help. I'm writing a webcomic, and I'd like to clean up the site before it launches. If you click around enough, you should notice that a few things seem a bit out of place - superfluous buttons, etc. Anyway, if someone wants to take a crack at cleaning it up, let me know and I'll get you access to the CSS... after taking a backup of the site and everything on it.

necrobump, but if your still here,

be more specific of the stuff you need a hand with cuz i can help.

/edit/

i decided to give up on dreamweaver, i test my site online with a seperate test URL, allows me to use all the main browsers and test them accurately.

the site i have been developing since the initial post, is now in beta! the link is in my sig, pm me if youd like to be a beta tester, im in need of em (Y)

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Dec 29, 2011,
Quote by creelers
What does your website do?

well its a website to promote music and your artist, find music, follow artists etc. links in my sig

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
It's kinda my job but I'm unemployed right now.

Been tinkering with JSP for the past few years of my employment.

I think my knowledge is still ok because I keep updated.

Currently working on wordpress sites and anything involving CMS while improving my skills in PHP, java and Javascript/Jquery.

Just a piece of advice when you have access to an important database using SQL/Oracle because this is what cost me my job :P

Don't ever drop a table. Be sure to back it up first and if you absolutely have to just rename the table instead of outright dropping it.

Anyway just my 2 cents :P
Probably not. Although, I do want to setup my own website for displaying projects and shit I do, but I'm not sure how you register a domain or setup a server or anything and dont really have time atm to look into it.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.