So I just bought an ESP LTD M-1000, and it comes with EMG 81's in the neck and the bridge. I find that to be a little one dimentional, so I think that I want to switch out the 81 in the neck, and replace it with an EMG 85. I've never done any kind of pickup change before, so should I let a professional, or should I be able to figure out how to do it on my own with videos on YouTube. I do t want to mess up my guitar, so what should I do?
EMGs are easy as hell to switch out for other EMGs, you don't need to do any soldering or anything like it; they have a proprietary plug that means you can just swap them out.

Last time I checked anyway, I doubt they'd have changed it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Modern EMGs have quick change connectors. You don't have to do jack, just unplug them and replug them. I have tried a few different configurations and my favourite is 81 bridge 85 neck.
Quote by stoltobot
Modern EMGs have quick change connectors. You don't have to do jack, just unplug them and replug them. I have tried a few different configurations and my favourite is 81 bridge 85 neck.

Probably 85% of people's favorite config. of EMG's
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
As said, you literally do not have to do anything. Unscrew the neck pickup ring, unplug the pickup, put the new one in the ring, plug it it, screw the ring back in, and play. Don't even have to open up the back.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X