so after a good half a year of not playing im getting back into playing guitar seriously.

the reason i stopped was depression and also feeling like i wasnt getting anywhere (basically as an example my friends who play could learn something in a day that would take me a week to learn, etc) and i never seemed to get better.

im self taught with a few "lessons" here and there (by lessons i mean not sitting and learning from a teacher but talking to other guitarists and getting tips, stuff like that)

so to get back into it im planning to take lessons at a local music store, where im friends with most of the people working there.

any tips on learning more techniques faster? im only good with chords, reading tab/notes, and simple stuff. i dont know much else besides how to play some simple songs (swing life away, some old country songs, maggie may, stuff like that. and simple riffs) to be honest the most advanced thing i know on guitar is pinch harmonics.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Not only do you have good taste in music, but you have good taste in politics
Last edited by k-train at Mar 26, 2011,
Get a good teacher. It's easier when someone who knows tells you what you are doing wrong.
Quote by Braiton
Get a good teacher. It's easier when someone who knows tells you what you are doing wrong.

well i know all the people at the local music store personally, and the ones that teach guitar, so im sure ill have a good teacher. specially since the ones that give instruction all have background in music, both learning how to play and teaching it to others.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
I had lessons for a while years ago and seem to be able to play alot better than anyone else I know that hasn't had lessons.That's metal anyway which you don't seem to be into.Go for it anyway I say.
Quote by MightyAri
I had lessons for a while years ago and seem to be able to play alot better than anyone else I know that hasn't had lessons.That's metal anyway which you don't seem to be into.Go for it anyway I say.

alright. i am into metal (i play any kind of music really. i like everything but pop country) i just dont play it because i cant shred or do anything that sounds metal yet.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Tips on learning techniques faster? Practice every day. I find that I do the best when I don't practice a ton every day as it wears me out (and puts me off playing).

Also ALWAYS use a metronome ( www.metronomeonline.com ). It will help you play clean. And for techniques that you have trouble with, always start slow, make sure you can play it a couple times cleanly, then speed up just a little bit.