i have always been wanting to build an amp and have always been into electronics somewhat, but it wasn't until my grandpa walked into my studio a while back and was shocked that tubes were still in use.

he worked on flight sims in the navy in the early 60's and worked for what was at one point the company that made the most powerful supercomputer in the world (even over IBM). the last few months i have really been digging 1974x's and learned that they were easily cloned.

so my grandpa flew down a few days ago, to do the normal florida vacation thing, but this time with a little bit of time inhaling lead fumes with me soldering together an 18w.

i bought the kit from watts tube audio for ~$500, heybouer trans, jj tubes, sprague atom and orange drop caps, alpha pots, realy nice stuff.

three days later and each about four thours, we get her up and going.
filp the power switch, light shines glorius light, let it sit for a few mins, plug in the Gibby, flip it to play and it was like a chours of angels.

it turned out really well. i was not impressed with wattstubeaudio though for a few reasons. i found a flaw on a copywrited schematic that would have caused some frusteration if not caught. his build sheet was short one cap that his drawings, so i had to pick up an additional cap. the knobs don't fit the pots, just shit like that. so that is my review there.

however, the sole reason i did use them is that they seemed to be the only people to get the kit out fast. i had it in three days with standard shipping (and being within 50 miles of his location). some places who sold kits said one to two weeks and some had complaints of customers waiting six plus weeks, and i didn't have a whole lot of time to get this in my studio, so i went with watts tube audio.

well here ya go guys, soldering may not be the prettiest, but she sounds pretty dang good.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
dude put a shirt on and at least try to be presentable when you post a quite high-res pic of yourelf :/

smile much?
Nice amp.
But please, put a god dam shirt on...you look like a hairless chewbacca.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
The soldering is fine, it's the lead dress that scares me.

HNAD! How's she sound?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
HNBAD! How's she sound?

This!
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
noice.

i've ordered from watts before. they are alright.

triode electronics is good and so is hoffman.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
HNBD!

Next time put a shirt on, and smile for cryin out loud! No reason to look grumpy
WTLTL 2011
Quote by AcousticMirror
noice.

i've ordered from watts before. they are alright.

triode electronics is good and so is hoffman.

i will have to check into triode.

any ideas on what to build next?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
dude put a shirt on and at least try to be presentable when you post a quite high-res pic of yourelf :/ smile much?

i didn't know you had to look like a male model to post a gut shot of am amp you built.

as regarding the smile, i do plenty, i guess it didn't make it in this one, i have a nice smile on one of my profile pics if you into that...

Quote by voleurz
nice amp..
I think weve all be officially out sexied.

thats what i think everybody else's got a problem with... lol. thanks for manning up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Lmao. Nice pic man, hottie.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Never in all my time in UG have I seen a more awkward photo.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Is Nick Nolte your dad?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
What is the third toggle for? Ground lift?

Hnad
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Well done, mang. I wish I had a grandad who was interested in what I was interested in. He's interested in classical music and wallpaper.
No, seriously, he really likes wallpaper. I love my grandad, obviously, but the last time I visited him in the UK, he spent 30 or so minutes talking about how his wallpaper matched all along his kitchen wall, how he had managed, by fluke, to set up all in such unison. It's unbearably cute.
Looks awesome man! I'll come check it out as soon as this college thing decides to give me an afternoon's break. Friggin' papers & tests and such.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
HN (Clone) Day

You built your own amp so that is pretty satisfying I'm sure. I bet you didn't realize it was going to be a fashion contest too

clips?

thanks 311, i will get some clips eventually.

it is pretty satisfying for sure and i recommend that everybody do it once in their life.

+1 on the fashion contest thing, i am a scraggley son of a gun, most of the time. but what you see in that pic is what you get. thats how i jam, gig, whatever. i am already engaged to a very beauitiful girl, so its not like i am out to impress anyone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Is Nick Nolte your dad?

uncle.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by gregs1020
What is the third toggle for? Ground lift?

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.