Ever since I got my new GK amp/cabinet, whenever I play my MIM jazz through it I get quite the buzz. I am not too sure why this is happening because when I had my old combo amp this never happened. Now, when I use my Precision, no buzz at all. I know that this is most likely due to the nature of the single coil pickups on the jazz bass, but is there any kind of quick fix to take care of this? Or am I looking at buying a new set of higher quality pickups? Thanks guys.
Ted Nugent 2012

My Gear:

Fender American Standard Precision
Fender MIM Jazz
Gallien-Krueger 1001rb-ii/ 4x10 MBX cab
Ibanez AS-73
LTD EC-100
Peavey Rage 158
playing with a lot of gain? might just be a unresolved grounding issue, if you have a return policy, I'd try sending it in as a last resort.
It sounds like you've got a higher quality amplifier, so it might be picking up something the old combo missed. What kind of buzz is it? An electrical buzz/hum? It could be a ground issue. If the ground wire on a Fender doesn't make good contact with the steel plate on the bridge, you'll get a hum.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I would like to say that it is more of a hum, but I am not too sure exactly what a bad grounding might sound like. How can I check that? I thought that it might just be the single coils picking up my laptop screen or something of the sort, but taking the computer away only alleviates the problem slightly. I will try turning the gain down as well.

Edit:
@askrere- are you talking about the amp or the bass? The bass I bought used and never had any trouble with buzz until now, and I dont think its a problem with the amp due to my P-bass working just fine with it.
Ted Nugent 2012

My Gear:

Fender MIM Jazz
Ibanez AS-73
LTD EC-100
Peavey Rage 158
Last edited by free4all913 at Mar 27, 2011,
Sometimes the MiM's have spots in the cavity where the shielding paint has missed or didnt set correctly.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
How would I go about checking the shielding and the ground wire? Just pull off the pickguard I am assuming, but what exactly am I looking for?
Ted Nugent 2012

My Gear:

Fender MIM Jazz
Ibanez AS-73
LTD EC-100
Peavey Rage 158
well, without hearing the noise, I was just guessing. As for the ground wire, it is just a wire lying against the bridge, perhaps soldering it would fix the issue, as for the shielded paint, if that were the case, might as well buy a roll of copper tape and do it all yourself. Also what kind of lights are in the room?
Just a normal light bulb from my ceiling fan, and then the screen from my laptop. Other than that, I dont have anything else electronic on in my room.
Ted Nugent 2012

My Gear:

Fender MIM Jazz
Ibanez AS-73
LTD EC-100
Peavey Rage 158
Thanks everyone for the input, but I also wanted to ask something else. I want to know how a compressor would effect my sound. I was talking to one of the Guitar Center employees behind the counter where they sell effects, and he told me that it is almost like a distortion...and my gut is telling me that he isnt entirely right. Can someone provide me with a little bit of insight on how a compressor would shape my sound? Thanks.
Ted Nugent 2012

My Gear:

Fender MIM Jazz
Ibanez AS-73
LTD EC-100
Peavey Rage 158
I'm lazy so I won’t type out an explanation... but here are a few links that will tell you all you need to know.

For the record, its best to take everything you hear from a guitar center employee with a grain of salt. Some are great and know a lot… but most are full of crap and have no clue what they are talking about.

http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_effects_guide/bass_compressors.html

http://www.azwebpages.com/bass/basscompression.htm
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
yea GC guys get made fun of on here all the time, it's often used in conjunction with distortion, but it's not distortion itself. Compression is primarily used to keep things even, adjusted correctly, every note played no matter how soft or hard, is kept a consistent volume. It's good on bass, because it also keeps you from overdriving the signal when playing to hard, or keeps you in the mix when you play to quietly. In metal typically a distortion pedal, compression pedal, and noise gate are played together to keep that consistent even (somewhat bland) Chugging for riffs.
Right on guys, thanks a lot. The site that had the clips was really helpful so I could hear what was going on. Im gonna head down and see what they have in stock. Do you guys have any recommendations as far as which ones are better than others? The one that I know for sure that they have there is a Markbass Compresore (not sure if I spelled that right), but it is around $200.
Ted Nugent 2012

My Gear:

Fender MIM Jazz
Ibanez AS-73
LTD EC-100
Peavey Rage 158
compressor, search musicians friend for "bass compressor", read the review, youtube reviews, google reviews, then craigslist and ebay search. then and only then consider buying it new
Just as an update, I picked up the Markbass Compressore compressor pedal today, took it straight to band practice, and all I can say is wow. Makes everything sound nice and even, and thats without me even taking it home and tweaking it exactly how I want it. Thanks for all the help guys.
Ted Nugent 2012

My Gear:

Fender MIM Jazz
Ibanez AS-73
LTD EC-100
Peavey Rage 158