Hey I'm looking to buy both a compressor and a new mic and I need a little help.

From my understanding a compressor squashes your tone. So it makes things sound more processed? Less raw sounding? If this is the case than I could definitely make use of one, however I'd like to spend as little as possible. Is the MXR Dyna Comp good for the money? I've read that you can mod it to be better, and since I've gotten pretty handy with a soldering iron I'd definitely be able to do it, as long as there's a guide of some sort.

For a mic I'm looking to spend no more than $100. I want to be able to mic my amp, record my acoustic, and vocals with this. I know that's asking a lot out of one mic, especially for that budget.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
That's a very rough description, a compressor basically sets a threshold on freqencies and squeezes any frequencies outside of it into that same threshold which makes it tighter and snappier.
I hoenstly think the Dyna Comp is a bit too subtle, the Boss CS3 is fairly good for quality. If you really had your heart set on the Dyna Comp the custom shop one would be reccomended, however it is more expensive.
For your mic, maybe up the budget and look into something like an AKG around your price point. Generally condesors are better for recording especially at home, but really a standard dynamic will do the job for what you're after.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
shure sm58 is always a safe bet
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Major Sparky
Hey I'm looking to buy both a compressor and a new mic and I need a little help.

From my understanding a compressor squashes your tone. So it makes things sound more processed? Less raw sounding? If this is the case than I could definitely make use of one, however I'd like to spend as little as possible. Is the MXR Dyna Comp good for the money? I've read that you can mod it to be better, and since I've gotten pretty handy with a soldering iron I'd definitely be able to do it, as long as there's a guide of some sort.

For a mic I'm looking to spend no more than $100. I want to be able to mic my amp, record my acoustic, and vocals with this. I know that's asking a lot out of one mic, especially for that budget.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

an SM57 is pretty much the standard for Mic'ing guitar cabs, it's not so great for vocals and acoustic tho.... it's about $100, so you'll need another mic for vocals/acoustic

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-990-Condenser-Microphone-with-Shock-Mount?sku=273156

that's not a great mic, but pretty cheap, so $160 should do it on the mic front.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
^Not sure if in the price range though...then again they're about $250 in Australia here so not sure how much they are overseas
EDIT: Nevermind, they're much cheaper than they are over here...
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Gundamnitpete
an SM57 is pretty much the standard for Mic'ing guitar cabs, it's not so great for vocals and acoustic tho.... it's about $100, so you'll need another mic for vocals/acoustic

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-990-Condenser-Microphone-with-Shock-Mount?sku=273156

that's not a great mic, but pretty cheap, so $160 should do it on the mic front.

The SM57 is always safe but the Audix i5 can also record vocals and acoustics. I haven't really spent time recording vocals with them, but they sound AMAZING with guitar. I feel like the build quality is a little better than SM57.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Quote by kracdown
The SM57 is always safe but the Audix i5 can also record vocals and acoustics. I haven't really spent time recording vocals with them, but they sound AMAZING with guitar. I feel like the build quality is a little better than SM57.

I've heard lots of good things about the i5.

although i wouldn't exactly call the sm57 brittle
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
My budget for the comp is probably no more than $80. I'm not even sure if it's something I'll want to keep so I was thinking I'd go used and if I don't like it, sell it with out taking a loss.

As for the Mic I'm not going any higher than $100. Because I can't. So I can't get a good mic for micing guitar cabs, and then another mic for acoustic and vocals. I've also heard a lot about fake Shure SM 57's, so trying to buy one used would be a stupid idea?
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by Eppicurt
That's a very rough description, a compressor basically sets a threshold on freqencies and squeezes any frequencies outside of it into that same threshold which makes it tighter and snappier.
I hoenstly think the Dyna Comp is a bit too subtle, the Boss CS3 is fairly good for quality. If you really had your heart set on the Dyna Comp the custom shop one would be reccomended, however it is more expensive.
For your mic, maybe up the budget and look into something like an AKG around your price point. Generally condesors are better for recording especially at home, but really a standard dynamic will do the job for what you're after.

I'm fairly sure a compressor doesn't process frequency. Its all about your dynamics. above a certain volume level (threshold), the compressor will attenuate the noise to a set ratio (for example, a 2:1 ratio means that above the threshold the output signal will increase by half as much as the input signal increases)

I agree with an AKG, maybe a perception. Certainly you can do a lot better than an SM57/8 for vocals and acoustic, and a condenser will sound much better on those and on guitar amps.

TM