i just finished this https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425663 Marshall 1974X. it went really good and i had a great time doing it.

so what would be something that i could build (ideally a tone i can't replicate with current amps) that would be either of similar difficulty or a few steps up from the kit i built.

i really want a really good sounding high volume high headroom amp, but dont know what would be a good way to go with that, i suppose i could build a twin, but i don't know if i want/have the need for trem and reverb, and i prefer darker cleans.

the same place i got my kit from has a supro, and a tweed, so maybe one of those?

absolutely no EL84 though, i have plenty of amps with those.

or i was thinking maybe opposite and build a jtm45?

thanks everyone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you built the 3rd channel of a mesa boogie Mark 4, i would buy it from you, just sayin
Quote by trashedlostfdup

i really want a really good sounding high volume high headroom amp, but dont know what would be a good way to go with that, i suppose i could build a twin, but i don't know if i want/have the need for trem and reverb, and i prefer darker cleans.

A Sunn Model T clone perhaps? Not sure how easy they are to replicate but they have insane headroom and no El84s.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by robertito696
A Sunn Model T clone perhaps? Not sure how easy they are to replicate but they have insane headroom and no El84s.

i will have to look it up. thanks.

keep the ideas coming.

i would really like to do a fuchs clean machine... lol, but doubt i could handle that/find schematics.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
+1 on the JTM45. I built one for my first amp build with KT66 tubes and it sounds great. Go to weber or metroamp for kits and schematics.
Quote by matt154
+1 on the JTM45. I built one for my first amp build with KT66 tubes and it sounds great. Go to weber or metroamp for kits and schematics.

what is the general opinion of weber kits? they seem pretty cheap as far as out the door price goes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by CodeMonk
Do an AC30 clone

I was thinking about that,but i only found a couple of places that had the chassis,, and iirc i wouldn't have been able to make it into a head.

i do have the schematics downloaded though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what is the general opinion of weber kits? they seem pretty cheap as far as out the door price goes.

They're good quality as far as pots, resistors, caps etc go. Some parts like the LED and the switches aren't as good but are cheap to replace. The rest is pretty good. The cabinet for it was well made too.
Quote by matt154
They're good quality as far as pots, resistors, caps etc go. Some parts like the LED and the switches aren't as good but are cheap to replace. The rest is pretty good. The cabinet for it was well made too.

do you have any idea what they use for caps/resistors/stuff like that?

also what tubes it comes with, because that could be scary... lol.

how are the transformers?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The tubes are either KT66 and EL34. Can't remember the brand but the ones i got are still going fine after about 2 years.

Caps are polypropylene, not sure what the resistors are.

The transformers i have are made by hammond and are good too.
High Volume High Headroom you say? Hiwatt?

Also if your looking at the fuchs you should check out dumble schematics... The Amp Garage is your place for that. You'll have to register and beside Ceriatone the only way to get the parts is to source them yourself.

For an AC30 you could always look at just doing one channel of it, such as the Top Boost channel. Most people that own an AC30 never even use the normal channel. There is a schematic out there that has the AC15 EF86 channel and AC30 Top Boost Channel going into a 30W power amp. It does have EL84 tubes though...

EDIT: Just took a look at your build, for anything that is much higher gain your going to have to work on your Lead Dress and wire routing otherwise its going to be noisy. A Dumble is supposed to be very sensitive to all of that.
Last edited by XgamerGt04 at Mar 27, 2011,
Quote by XgamerGt04
High Volume High Headroom you say? Hiwatt?

Also if your looking at the fuchs you should check out dumble schematics... The Amp Garage is your place for that. You'll have to register and beside Ceriatone the only way to get the parts is to source them yourself.

For an AC30 you could always look at just doing one channel of it, such as the Top Boost channel. Most people that own an AC30 never even use the normal channel. There is a schematic out there that has the AC15 EF86 channel and AC30 Top Boost Channel going into a 30W power amp. It does have EL84 tubes though...

EDIT: Just took a look at your build, for anything that is much higher gain your going to have to work on your Lead Dress and wire routing otherwise its going to be noisy. A Dumble is supposed to be very sensitive to all of that.

could you give me a little info on that? i don't exactly know what you mean. i am still in the learning process.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Lead dress is how you route the wires and their placement in the circuit compared to other wires.

The first thing that you would want to do in any new amp is twist the heater wires tight and either run them along the back of the chassis and in a straight line down to their tube sockets and back, or like fender and above the tube sockets. This reduces the amount of hum that can be coupled to other signal wires since you keep the heaters as far away from the other signals as possible.

If you do the heater wiring along the chassis and not up above the tube socket then if you have to cross the heater wires you should do it at a 90 degree angle. This can help reduce the coupling even more since the signals are orthogonal and their magnetic fields can not couple as well.

There are also certain wires that you want to keep the shortest or possibly shield. Any wire to a tube grid should be as short as possible, and if you can not do that then it needs to be shielded. They are the most prone to picking up noise.

Compare your wiring to this: http://www.fatsoundguitars.com/store/amps/xits-amplifiers/xitsamplifiers20100416175157/x10-special-guts-7.jpg

Obviously for a first build your amp looks good, and if it works that is a success in itself, but there is always room for improvement and to make things better. Notice how neat and organized that looks, not only is it good for the amp, it also will make troubleshooting much easier since you can quickly tell where everything goes.

Hope that helps, and if you have any more questions just ask.
Quote by XgamerGt04
Lead dress is how you route the wires and their placement in the circuit compared to other wires.

The first thing that you would want to do in any new amp is twist the heater wires tight and either run them along the back of the chassis and in a straight line down to their tube sockets and back, or like fender and above the tube sockets. This reduces the amount of hum that can be coupled to other signal wires since you keep the heaters as far away from the other signals as possible.

If you do the heater wiring along the chassis and not up above the tube socket then if you have to cross the heater wires you should do it at a 90 degree angle. This can help reduce the coupling even more since the signals are orthogonal and their magnetic fields can not couple as well.

There are also certain wires that you want to keep the shortest or possibly shield. Any wire to a tube grid should be as short as possible, and if you can not do that then it needs to be shielded. They are the most prone to picking up noise.

Compare your wiring to this: http://www.fatsoundguitars.com/store/amps/xits-amplifiers/xitsamplifiers20100416175157/x10-special-guts-7.jpg

Obviously for a first build your amp looks good, and if it works that is a success in itself, but there is always room for improvement and to make things better. Notice how neat and organized that looks, not only is it good for the amp, it also will make troubleshooting much easier since you can quickly tell where everything goes.

Hope that helps, and if you have any more questions just ask.

thank you for the information. i didn't realize that heater wires were twisted that tight, definitely something i will do in the future.

one thing i did have a question about was buss grounding. i read a little about it and it seemed some people use it and some don't. i opted not to, just to observe what it would do, and then bus it if it was excessively noisy.

and as far as comparing my wiring to his

i will get there with practice and time.

definitionally what is a "tube grid"? i think i know but am not positive.

thanks for your help gamer.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The Weber kits are very decent. Alpha pots, Carling switches, good components all around. The transformers have a good reputation among people who have actually used them. The Orange clone kit they sell looks interesting. It looks like a big step up in difficulty from what you've built though.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
thank you for the information. i didn't realize that heater wires were twisted that tight, definitely something i will do in the future.

one thing i did have a question about was buss grounding. i read a little about it and it seemed some people use it and some don't. i opted not to, just to observe what it would do, and then bus it if it was excessively noisy.

and as far as comparing my wiring to his

i will get there with practice and time.

definitionally what is a "tube grid"? i think i know but am not positive.

thanks for your help gamer.

the grid is where the signal enters, and is most prone to picking up noise. which is why you want the grid resistor right on the pin, with shielded wire going into that resistor.

on a 12AX7 and other similar dual triode tubes, pin 2 and pin 7 are the "grids" or "control grids" and for your information, pin 1 and 6 are the "anodes" or the "plates", pin 3 and pin 8 are the "cathodes". 4/5 and 9 are usually designated as "filaments" or "heaters".
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
as of right now, i am thinking JTM45 as a kit from Weber, any thoughts?

my grandpa has been back up north for a week or so now, so this one has to be on my own (which i am not really worried about). it seems that the jtm is a fairly simple larger amp to work on.

also, does anybody know what tubes weber ships with his kit. i figure $40 for like 6-7 tubes, they can't be that terrible. lol. worst case senario i buy a new set of tubes for it and have more extras sitting around.

should i go KT66 or EL34?

_______

i was reading Aiken's list of good tube amp books (which is among his tech articals) and was wondering if any of you could recommend one book above another.

_______
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The 6M45/JTM45 is a little more complicated than what you've built but not too bad. I just finished the 6M45P and it's a damn good kit. Weber ships no name Chinese tubes. They're nothing great, but serve the purpose for startup/troubleshooting.
Yep. It came out nicely. Pretty much sounds like what I expected a JMP to sound like. If I had it to do over again, I would probably replace the supplied filtering caps with cap cans. The cap board was a bit of a headache.
Quote by Jason43
The 6M45/JTM45 is a little more complicated than what you've built but not too bad. I just finished the 6M45P and it's a damn good kit. Weber ships no name Chinese tubes. They're nothing great, but serve the purpose for startup/troubleshooting.

what is the difference between the 6M45 and the 6M45p?

i realize that it will be a little bit more difficult to build, but as long as it isn't insanely hard, i should be fine.

regarding your comment on the cap cans, how would that be done? you would have to punch additional holes in the chassis wouldn't you? how would that change with the supplied turret board?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Could always meet yourself halfway and build a sweet Bassman. Or maybe build a Bassman with that mod that basically switches it to a JTM45 on demand.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what is the difference between the 6M45 and the 6M45p?

i realize that it will be a little bit more difficult to build, but as long as it isn't insanely hard, i should be fine.

regarding your comment on the cap cans, how would that be done? you would have to punch additional holes in the chassis wouldn't you? how would that change with the supplied turret board?

It's my understanding that they're similar amps. I think the main difference is the rectifier.

For the cap cans, there's room to mount them in the chassis, right above the PT. The main board wouldn't be changed. The 2 extra 50uf/50uf cans would replace the filter cap board that mounts to the PT lugs.
Quote by Seref
Could always meet yourself halfway and build a sweet Bassman. Or maybe build a Bassman with that mod that basically switches it to a JTM45 on demand.

i have a bassman a 1968 AB165 to be exact.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Probably too complicated and hard to find a kit/instructions for, but if you want something off the beaten path with a looooot of headroom, you could do one of the various old 25-50w ampeg models (the ones for both bass and guitar sound awesome on either instrument--cranked to power section break up for bass, and giving insane cleans for guitar respectively.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Probably too complicated and hard to find a kit/instructions for, but if you want something off the beaten path with a looooot of headroom, you could do one of the various old 25-50w ampeg models (the ones for both bass and guitar sound awesome on either instrument--cranked to power section break up for bass, and giving insane cleans for guitar respectively.

i am sure i wouldn't be able to find a kit, but after a few more builds i will probably be confident enough to source the parts myself.

i have an older ('80's maybe) Ampeg hybrid that is like 70 watts or something that came as a combo i picked up for $50, it is absolutely amazing. think roland JC120 meets fender twin. like literally. its even got an acutronics tank and came with an english celestion... talk about a steal.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Jason43
It's my understanding that they're similar amps. I think the main difference is the rectifier.

For the cap cans, there's room to mount them in the chassis, right above the PT. The main board wouldn't be changed. The 2 extra 50uf/50uf cans would replace the filter cap board that mounts to the PT lugs.

i am going to go with the tube rectified one. so i would need to cut holes in the chassis for the cans? i know i could do it if necessary, but it might not be the prettiest.

just the two 50uf/50uf would replace what exactly?

there are 4 big 40uf's and 1 small 40uf and 2 16uf as far as i can tell. so what would that eliminate?

thank you all very much for your patience.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
you can get 47uf caps in 500 vdc now. no reason to use multi sections.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
I might be making an amp based on the Vox Super Beatle. It's solid state, but they're cool. Mine will have just the Normal channel, tremolo, and spring reverb. The only problem is that when I finish it, I'll want a Rickenbacker! Maybe that will be a future guitar build, along with a Gibson EDS-1275 double neck (not sure when I'd use the 12 string side, but they look awesome).

BTW, the 6M45 is a JTM45 and the 6M45P is a 1987 Lead (50 watt Plexi).