Hey, I was wondering if you guys know how much a guitar teacher makes a year/monthly, because my friend wants to become one but he wants to know before he actually applies, could you help him out? Thanks in advance.

Btw I wasn't sure to whether put this in musician talk or the pit, because people viewing forums in the pit usual give irrelevant and strange answers, sorry if I put this topic in the wrong category.
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
why doesn't he just ask the people he's applying to?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
why doesn't he just ask the people he's applying to?

I already told him that but he just wants to know from an actual guitar community. :\
Your user name is pretty funny because my dad named me after him LOL.
Quote by Insomnia69
I already told him that but he just wants to know from an actual guitar community. :\

I mean I guess you could look on the bright side and say you were named after a guitarist.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
I've never met a teacher who didn't teach at a proper music school who didn't have a proper day job.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
I've never met a teacher who didn't teach at a proper music school who didn't have a proper day job.

Interesting, I'll keep that in mind!
Quote by Insomnia69

If it's an advertised job then they'll be paying whatever they're paying, no point asking us as we won't know!

Unless one of us placed the advert.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I can give you a few "usually" answers, but they're sweeping generalizations, and with that in mind, kinda need to be taken with a grain of salt.

If you are self-employed, you will make however much you hustle to make. The more "qualified" you are, or the bigger name you have, or the more experienced you are, the more you will probably charge. Multiply that out by the total number of students you hustle to get and stay on top of (minus your expenses) is your monthly/annual income.

If you are employed by a legitimate school system, that varies hugely from district to district. I've seen teacher salaries in the US as low as the low $30K's for experienced teachers. In other districts, it goes up to the low $90K's (that would be for a masters' degree or similar + over ten years' experience). That comes down to how much that district values their teachers and education system as a whole.

If you are employed by a music store or a music school, you generally get half of what they take in. How much is that? Well... it comes down to how much THEY hustle to get students and how much THEY charge per lesson based on their name recognition, experience, etc. It's a trade-off. You don't need to hustle - just teach. They do the hustling and provide a name, and you share the money with them.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I'm not sure how well it translates to where you live, but in the UK £20 an hour seems to be the 'average' for a private music teacher. And of course it varies. I wouldn't feel comfortable charging that much if I was just starting out.
the band director at my highschool made 33 USD an hour. It turned out to be more or less than 55k a year. If you're a professor at a decent college you can make more and if you become a chair or head of a department you can get up to 6 figures. Just depends on where you live and what school you teach for and how good you are. Also if you teach lessons on the side and do side gigs or projects you can add lots of money to your salary too.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
how much students does the average guitar teacher get also?
Since this thread is here i thought i would ask instead of starting a new one
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
really depends. some have 10, a full time teacher may have 30 or 40.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
The going rate in my area is about $20 for a half hour lesson, about $30 for a full hour.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
As axemanchris said, it depends on lots of things.

I know teachers earning anywhere between approx $12k and $60k, depending on experience, qualifications, whether they teach for themselves or a school...

Not to mention your friend needs to ask his prospective employers. If you ask an international forum the going rate then it may not reflect your local economic situation or cost of living.

Wait... what?

Double negatives = headaches.

I've seen plenty of teachers who don't teach at music schools who haven't got real jobs.
Quote by Freepower

Not to mention your friend needs to ask his prospective employers. If you ask an international forum the going rate then it may not reflect your local economic situation or cost of living.

That's actually a very good point. In Australia, the standard rate is AUS$50 an hour.

That's US$51.19/hour, or UK$32.99.

But on the other hand, both the US and UK are going through harder economic times than us. So just ask the employer.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Sean0913
If I accounted for all the people I currently teach, online as well as in-person school enrollments, it would skew the averages a bit, I imagine I'm not sure how that would help your friend any.

Best,

Sean

I wonder what would happen if we compared the average guitar teacher's income to the average income of their students (or whoever is supplying the money for the students).
Soundcloud
Hahaha well put AlanHB,

I think in my case, I'd be the one scraping the breadcrumbs compared to others wealth. I make a living, that's it, and I enjoy what I'm doing. But don't look to get rich, because I'm sure not. I just do it because its my passion to help others

If I were in it for money, I'm in the wrong business.

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
Hahaha well put AlanHB,

I think in my case, I'd be the one scraping the breadcrumbs compared to others wealth. I make a living, that's it, and I enjoy what I'm doing. But don't look to get rich, because I'm sure not. I just do it because its my passion to help others

If I were in it for money, I'm in the wrong business.

Sean

Well at least you can make a living purely out of what you love doing, which is more than most people can claim to do.
Soundcloud
I'd say tutors at a college or institution would get around £30k - £50k (heads of dept etc)

If you teach privately it totally depends on you, but the average seems to be (in the UK anyway; £20 - £30 per hour) I know of tutors charging more because they are well known or have played with some very famous people but aren't famous themselves etc.

If you can retain a steady amount of students per week you can make a decent living but you have to manage your money well as it's not a steady paycheck every month, although being self employed has tax benefits. Living in a major city will help and just get all your friends to get out there and let people know you teach, it's about networking in the end.