Usally, when im going to practice guitar, im very motivated, and can sit for hours whitout getting bored. However the last 3 days my motivation has sunk, and i just dont seem to get the urge to play guitar... I really want to get better in shorter time, and thats why i practice alot, and the last few days i want it even more, but i just almost cant play for more than a few minutes. I dont realy have alot of other hobbies besides music/guitar, and there is nothing thats distracting me to not play...
Anyone felt this way before? How did you fix it? I know theres diffrent for every induvidual, but do you got any advices? Sorry for bad grammar.
yeah man i've had these feelings. when i do i take a break and i find after a while i'll want to play again.

i think balancing guitar with every other aspect of your life plays a big part in staying interested
Quote by Freepower

this
i have watch this a few time in the last year or so
because everyone goes through this
Sometimes what helps me is just playing for an hour and putting it down for the rest of the day. soon after a couple days ill be practicing my normal set again

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
You really just have to set aside a few hours a day and practice. Be strict about it and never compromise your practice time by saying stuff like, "Oh I'll just skip it today." NO! Practice hard every day and never skip it, unless there's a funeral or something you absolutely can't miss.
Quote by Usernames sucks
Usally, when im going to practice guitar, im very motivated, and can sit for hours whitout getting bored. However the last 3 days my motivation has sunk, and i just dont seem to get the urge to play guitar... I really want to get better in shorter time, and thats why i practice alot, and the last few days i want it even more, but i just almost cant play for more than a few minutes. I dont realy have alot of other hobbies besides music/guitar, and there is nothing thats distracting me to not play...
Anyone felt this way before? How did you fix it? I know theres diffrent for every induvidual, but do you got any advices? Sorry for bad grammar.

I think you're trying too hard.

Take a day off. Consider what you get out of playing guitar...

come back to it with a fresh attitude & have fun.

& don't practice alot "to get better in a shorter time"...... practice/play alot because it's something you love to do. Allow yourself to get better as a result. It takes time.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 28, 2011,
You said that you want to get better in shorter time, and thats why you practice alot...
I don't think it is the best mentality because their are guitarists playing their whole life and still getting better.
What I do personally is to set a few specific goals that I can achieve in a short period of time.

For example:
I want to improve my improvising skills.
Okay, but that's something that you could train for eternity. I mean you can always improve those improvisning skills.

Now:
I want to improve my improvising skills, starting to learn the Major Scale.
That's a lot better now because it's a goal that you can achieve in a relatively short period of time.
You can learn every week a different Major Scale. You will see and hear the improvements after 2-3days so it will motivate you to continue your quest to Major Scale knowledge.
Once you mastered the entire Major Scale, you can start with the Minor Scales and once that mastered you can start wth Modes and so on...

What I'm trying to say is: Set yourself "Mini"goals that will lead you to the "Medium" stuff and finally to the "Supreme" shizzle instead of having one big goal were you will be very quick demotivated.

I hope you understand what I mean otherwise just pm me
And sry for bad language :/ English is my fourth language ^^
In place of practising try composing something. Get your create juices flowing. Guitarists shouldn't be robots. Practising is worthless unless you're giving it 100% attention.
Nihao!
Those people have give you great advices! If I can just give you one more, it's this one. Learn pentatonic scales, major and minor. You will see, once you have them, that their REALLY usefull. You will find that, by adding some notes to, say, pentatonic major, you will get the major scale! Same thing for minor. Moreover, go to web site such as http://www.freejamtracks.com. That what I do when motivation isn't there (when I don't know what to play). You just jam! If you're alone, have a beer (!) and mess with scales (they give you the tone) and try understanding these songs, the way they're built, when the chords change, etc. You can do great stuff that you will be proud of you, and there is the motivation that comes back! You don't have to sit and play scales or chords or anything for hours each days! Play your scales on jam tracks, they sound like music!
It happened a couple of times to me.

Not to long ago, I began practicing very slowly, and then I discovered that in time, I got to improve. So I basically have a set of excercises, and do them at least once per day. This way I practice a little at least every day. I also learnt the Major Scale and now that I got some effects I play for a while just improvising. Learning songs can take some time but it's also nice, then if you feel like playing and not practicing, you can play.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Jackson Kelly KE3

Strymon El Capistan
RMC4 Picture Wah
Sunface BC-108
Fulltone OCD
MXR M-108
ISP Decimator
Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish & Chips

Peavey ValveKing 112:
-Celestion Vintage 30
First off, your first mistake is trying to "get really good really fast". You really can't rush something like this. It takes time and dedication to become good at guitar.

However, I have had lots of times when I've felt similar, sitting in my room by myself with my guitar, not motivated at all. What really helped me be more motivated was going somewhere else with my guitar. It sounds kind of stupid but if I went upstairs and sat in the living room and practiced while watching TV or talking to my family it seemed like I could play for a lot longer. I guess just a simple change of settings can motivate you. Or if you know anyone who plays guitar or bass or drums ask them to jam sometime. That will really help motivate you - especially if they're better than you
I hate my sig