Well at the moment im begining to start saving for a new amp since i currently own a Ibanez TB15R 15W practice amp i got maybe.. 3 years ago and since then my playing has gotten much better and i need to look at a serious upgrade lol.

For the record i dont actually know too much about amps and i am trying to learn more and more.

My mate just got a B-52 100W Valve and comparing between size... yeah i dont stand a chance. He owns a 75W Line 6 Spider 4 Solid State amp as well and i love the damn thing to bits, its incredible as to how much you can customize the sound on it.

My main Artist influences are:

Blindspott
Breaking Benjamin
Bullet for my Valentine
August Burns Red
As I lay Dying
Alter Bridge (Mainly Myles Kennedy)
Crossfade
Seether

The list could go on but yeah...

I mainly play rhythm guitar and i love distortion and overdrive as much as the next guy, but i love clean as well. I know my guitar pickups have an effect on the sound as well which are kinda crappy due to buying a cheap guitar but having an amp with a wicked clean channel would get insane. I love a grunge rhythm and a bullet lead with some delay, a bluesy clean or a delayed clean with chorus which sounds half blues half grunge lol.

I can play almost any Breaking Benjamin song, lead / rhythm, a few of Bullets but im lacking a bit on speed and accuracy but im doing exercises daily to improve that. Parallels by As I lay dying except for the solo. I can do alternative picking pretty much without stuffing up, pinch harmonics, hammer on / offs but i do need to clean those up a little bit.

I enjoy playing on my mates Line 6 Spider 4, but being a Solid State it tends to breakup when it gets louder so he said, if i really want a Line 6, go for a Valve.

Since im in a small town i rarely get to a music store to try out equipment so i was wondering what you guys could recommend on so i have a bit of an idea in future. But yeah i love the Line 6 amps and the customization ability which is friggin great if you dont have the spare moo-la for effect pedals.

Sure you can do alot more but it still means if i want to have some chorus with delay for my clean channel thats 2 pedals already, and then its a matter of either tap dancing about with the pedals or buying a pedal that runs them all together for 1 - 2 channels (Really cant remember the name of it).

Budget will probably go up to about $1500 - 2000 NZD since i am going to have to buy a new guitar sometime soon after the amp.

Any help / advice you guys can toss out would be much apreciated
Last edited by Reevo at Mar 27, 2011,
no idea how what NZD is compared to american dollars but i'd say your best bet is a rectifier, whether it be single/dual or triple, it will get a great tone for all those bands, i know as i lay dying uses them, BFMV does, probably august burns red etc. just check one out i'm sure you'll like it, they have good cleans too, too warm for my liking but i didn't have alot of time to eq it when i had one, and i had terrible pick ups
not to sure on suggesting anything for your requirements, but you'll be lucky to get a rec for 1500 bucks. it cost me 2.2k for my dc-10 combo and its pretty damn old
6505+
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
$2000 won't even get you close to any of those suggestions. As far as I know gear prices in nz are even worse than ours here in australia. A new dual recto head alone will set you back over $4000. I'd look at bugera, they offer a decent approximation of the peavey tone for a reasonable price. You might get a used mesa or peavey rig for $2000 but you'd have to be very lucky.
Truthfully im not looking at a brand spankin new Mesa because i know their extremely expensive.

Marcus Powell from Blindspott use's Ibanez and i love the sound they have going for End the Silence, its got a wicked kick to it and i do admire some Ibanez amps, even mine for being a 15W practice has a pretty nice distortion to it, just needs more gain and about 75W more power lol
Quote by deepsal
wut.....you love the spider to bits????
are you on drugs????
*facepalm*

No trollin my post, i enjoy the sound of the Line 6 spider and that aint gonna change anytime soon
$1500 would get you a single rec if you look hard enough. The 6505+ 112 would be in your price range as would the 6505 212 if you added a bit to your budget or looked used.
The Jet City 212 would be in your range too and boosting it would probably get you to where you want to go.
You could see if you could get something shipped over from Aus, it's a buyer's market over here at the moment with our dollar being so strong. There's also the option of shipping a head over from the States which would save you more money but you'd have to make sure you bought an amp with a voltage selector or buy a step-down transformer.

EDIT: Spend some time with the spider and compare it to some higher end amps like the ones just mentioned and you'll be eating your words I promise you. All the bells and whistles really aren't worth it when it comes down to the sound quality.
You should be able to afford the vavle combo in your price range or the old Flextones are great sounding amps and you just may be able to snag a Vetta which is even better again.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Mar 27, 2011,
Get the Spider then ..........
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Little bit of advice though, not trying to join the hatehatebandwagon here, but I've been playing a spider 3 for the past 5 years. When I first got mine, I was ecstatic about the customizability of the sound. After a year or so, if that, you may get tired of the customizing. How's that you ask? The spider has a billion different sounds, but out of all those, maybe 3 actually stand out. And even those can be outdone by a tube. The spider valve, it's got tubes in it, but I didn't notice that much of a difference in tone. Now I don't know squat about how the spider 4 compares to the 3, but having the 75w model spider 3 for as long as I have, I'd much rather have an all-tube amp that does a clean sound, a crunchy sound, and a hi-gain sound well and nothing else over an amp that can do any sound under the rainbow but still falls short in terms of dynamics. The spider is an incredibly digital amp and as your playing progresses you'll probably come to understand just what that ensues.

For your playing style, I'd say go with the classic Valveking + OD pedal. Let the tubes do the work, lay off the gain a little bit, put a little pressure on that od pedal, and you'll be set for everything you mentioned. I just find tube amps to have a lot more punch than digital amps, it's all in the way they clip.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
I just read a review on the 6505+ and from all the 10's it got i might really have a look at it aye.

Thats pretty much what my mate said and i actually do think i agree with him and some of you guys about Valve > Spider.
The main issue is money, if i spend a heap on a wicked amp and then a guitar after, ill still have to fork out even more for good effects thats why i was liking the Spider, plus since ive learnt on a Ibanez 15W then going to a Line 6 75W its a different experience because of the effects and the 4 channels with footswitch.

If i can get at some of these amps you guys talked about ill most likely notice a massive difference and aim for one of them instead.
A lower quality guitar through a higher quality amp is going to sound better than a higher quality guitar through a lower quality amp.
Make of that what you will.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by Reevo
I just read a review on the 6505+ and from all the 10's it got i might really have a look at it aye.

Thats pretty much what my mate said and i actually do think i agree with him and some of you guys about Valve > Spider.
The main issue is money, if i spend a heap on a wicked amp and then a guitar after, ill still have to fork out even more for good effects thats why i was liking the Spider, plus since ive learnt on a Ibanez 15W then going to a Line 6 75W its a different experience because of the effects and the 4 channels with footswitch.

If i can get at some of these amps you guys talked about ill most likely notice a massive difference and aim for one of them instead.

Word, someone who listens to reason. The effects on the spider aren't anything special either. I second what dudeman said about a shitty guitar through a great amp sounding better than a great guitar through a shitty amp. Not saying the spider's shit, just saying it leaves a lot to be desired once the initial excitement about upgrading dies off. You're stuck with an amp that tries to mimic other amps instead of excelling at its' own sound. With high-end amps, yes, money is a huge issue, hence why I'm still playing my spider, but you get what you pay for. If they're available in your area, you might also want to check out the Bugera 333XL / 6262, depending on if you want high gain or high-er gain.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Ok ive arrived at a issue.

Seems Peavy amps are very rare in NZ so i may have to look at ordering one from overseas which will cost a friggin fortune lol. But none the less i have contacted my nearest music store and asked if it is possible to get peavy amps seeing as they have 1 in stock, a little 15W though lol. Not what im looking for.

From Rockshop.co.nz the main brands of amp i can get are:
- Blackstar
- Crate
- Dime
- Epiphone
- EVH
- Fender
- Jet City
- Line 6
- Marshall
- Mesa
- Orange
- Soldano

and from Musicworks.co.nz
- Ashton
- Engl
- Hiwatt
- Hughes and Kettner
- Ibanez
- Peavy

I didnt fully check if these were Valves, SolidStates or whatever but as you see brand choice here is very limited which sucks.
Blackstar do some excellent gear for the price, their Venue Series HT100 should do the sounds you want. Jet city also offer a lot of bang for your buck, Personally I didn't think the one I tried was all that great for a modern metal tone but they seem to work fine for a lot of other people so definately worth checking out. It's a little out of left field but Ashton's valve amps really aren't too bad either, they sound *much* more convincing than you'd expect.
That's kind of it for affordable valve amps in that list. If you don't mind going solid state, HiWatt, Crate, Hughes and Kettner all do some pretty cool stuff. And there's always the bigger Ibanez TBX series, I can attest to the fact that they are much, *much* better than most people give them credit for and they're very affordable. If you get one you'll have to be prepared to be on UG's shit list though
Last edited by Waylanderau at Mar 27, 2011,
I shipped a 5150h to france over a year ago usps for under $150 insured idk where ud be buying it from but id look into it at least.
I just seen you can get evh amps id look into the 5150III.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Mar 27, 2011,
Going used is your best option if you don't want to get raped as much price-wise
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Genz benz el-diablo combo is right in your range on that nz site you posted.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Quote by consecutive e
Going used is your best option if you don't want to get raped as much price-wise

Yeah i thought that today while at work lol. Thats how my mate got his B-52, used off trademe for a heckload cheaper than it would cost retail for another or a Mesa.

I might look at putting the price range up to $2500 - 3K if needed but that will mean not buying a new guitar i think.

Anyways cheers for the help guys, any more that can be chucked at me would be much appreciated, never knew forums could ACTUALLY be helpful lol.