The twist being I know what sound I'm actually looking for! How freaking awesome is that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rgMiZu-9Es

THIS. Hughes And Kettner Switchblade. I could seriously pop wood over this if it wasn't 4:30 in the morning and I wasn't half asleep already. Problem. I don't exactly have a thousand bucks to shell out. My girlfriend wants to help me upgrade from the spider 3 I've been playing constantly for the past 5 years or so. I understand for boutique tube amp quality I'm gonna be paying tube amp price, but I don't think I can push past 600. Even that's going to take me a good minute. The local GC here only really stocks up on marshalls, fenders, peaveys, vox's, and line 6's. Y'know, the ever so popular Marshall line plus every lousy modeller under the sun. No disrespect, but I've had it with modelling amps. I want an amp that has its' own unique sound. The kind of amp that $300-450 solid state modellers WISH they could be.

Looking for a modern high-gain tube amplifier, at least 20W, preferably combo but if the head AND cab check out for under $600 I can live with that. Will be throwing a TS9 or equivalent in front of it. Looking for a smooth, warm gain. Not distortion, gain. No fuzz, good hefty amount of low-end punch without being overly dark, bright clean treble, and a mellow warm mid-range behind it all that I don't have to scoop (before you jump down my throat claiming you never have to scoop, play a spider 3 for 5 years on high gain and tell me that amps' mids sound anything better than fork in a garbage disposal. Then I'll admit I'm wrong.)

Bottom Line: Looking for a solid, well rounded, smooth, completely tube-driven (NOHYBRID.) gain that can easily suffice as a standalone rhythm. I'm a solo guitarist, I need a sound that can fill the room without sounding thin, overly harsh, and I want to be able to hear those tubes really open up and scream. Budget being around $600 US roughly, that rules out most of the amps I've been drooling over for the past two hours.

P.S. Anyone have a chance to try out the JCA20H Comet mod? really liked the 20H I played but felt it did fall short in the gain department for what I was looking for.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
If you're looking for a Switchblade sound, looking at the specs it only has 2 12AX7's in the preamp and digital FX onboard. I hate to break it to ya but it looks like a hybrid modeller, the 2 things you don't want. All the gain has to be coming from somewhere.

What kind of genres you playing?
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Mar 27, 2011,
Did you try the JCA20H with an overdrive in front? That should've solved any gain issues.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
If you're looking for a Switchblade sound, looking at the specs it only has 2 12AX7's in the preamp and digital FX onboard. I hate to break it to ya but it looks like a hybrid modeller, the 2 things you don't want. All the gain has to be coming from somewhere.

Looks like one, yes, but not quite. It's got digital fx (which I never bother using anyway), and a digital memory bank to store in EQ settings similar to how a modeler does. Difference is the switchblade has 4 separate channels that range from clean to ultra gain, most modelers have similar amp models but are based off of previous amps that went on to sell a crapton of amps, instead of trying to create its' own unique original sound. Edit:: Quite frankly, whether it's digital or not, I personally love the sound the switchblade brings out. It's a very smooth hi-gain amp and doesn't sound whatsoever sterile or digital. Don't really care what's in it so long as the end result is worth the money. imo, the switchblade is worth the money.

Genres, shit. I must be tired if I forgot to list that. I play whatever I'm in the mood for for the day, but 9/10 times that involves either some form of hardcore / deathcore (think parkway drive for hardcore, Emmure's latest album for the dc), some kind of euro-thrash metal (OLD soilwork), or some kind of progressive instrumental riffage (The Human Abstract - Polaris; I play this song almost every damn day.)

And to the other guy about the JCA20H + drive pedal, negative. I would've but I was short on time the one chance I got to play it, and nowadays GC never hooks up anything worth a shit in my opinion unless you've got the cash to pay for the amp up front in hand. Our GC is only out to make its' money, not like they used to be, so that's kinda outta the question. They just make excuses as to why they can't hook up the friggin' amps they've got on display but keep the marshalls up constantly despite nobody ever coming in and playing em.

Edit:: God damn I edit my posts alot. I guess it's better than double/triple/quadruple/gtfo posting. Premium Guitar's youtube channel has a series going, Monsters of Hi Gain, one of their videos also features the Blackstar Series One 200. Wonderful sounding amp, if I could afford it I'd probably go for the series one over the switchblade. Looked at the HT-40, could probably run one of those with a tubescreamer, but that's definitely going to take some time to fund. Just to give you a little bit more of an idea of what kind of sound I'm going for here.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Last edited by Ishiga at Mar 27, 2011,
Quote by AxSilentxLine

Blackstar style SS Shenanigans anyone?
If you're on a tight budget you should definitely go look on the used market. It can be hard to find a budget tube amp with nice distortion AND good cleans at the same time, but if you're willing to used you should definitely look for a 5150/6505 - those are pretty cheap in the US compared to the prices here in Europe (we've got ENGL though!). Otherwise, I cannot recommend Bugera enough.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Looked at the Bugeras, unless I could find a cheap 6262, I'd have to play one in person to consider it. The demos I've found online, not particularly impressive. As far as the 5150/6505, definitely would go for a 5150, the 6505 is a little overboard for me though. Yeah it's got an asston of gain, but imo breaks up kind of ugly. I really don't mind if the cleans are nothing special so long as they're not total garbage, I'm a die-hard gainiac. &I hate you >_< Engl Savage 120 = <3. That's one hell of a beefy amp.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Just buy a Switchblade combo then, they sell for dirt cheap on the used market cause no one likes them
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com