Hello, UG.

After scouring a lengthy search bar use, I come to you with a question. I recently got back from my excursion with the military to find that my amp had been lost in an accident. A few very generous friends donated a 150 watt solid state head, and a 120 watt cabinet.

My question is this: Will this combination work without incident? Or am I going to cause damage using this setup?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize if I have broken any forum rules or overstepped any boundaries.
Unless the amp head is switchable to a lower wattage, then no. You're more than likely gonna blow the cab, I wouldn't even try it. But you could get yourself some new speakers for said cab, so long as each speaker can take at least 40W you'll be okay.

Just a friendly reminder, also make sure the impedance on the amp head and cab match up. If you're not sure what that means, google it and learn. When messing with heads and cabs, impedance is a must-know.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Thank you very much for the information. I'm going to have to start looking into other options it appears.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
So long as you dont crank the amp, it will be ok.
a 150W amp does not put out 150W at all times. Only with every knob at 10.

This, amps rarely crank out the full wattage they are rated for. Keep your knobs reasonable and you shouldn't have a problem.
WTLTL 2011
As it stands now, I just need this to amp to play for my own amusement in an apartment. I don't plan on performing for a while.

And again, I thank you all. It's been a while since I've had the chance to get back into playing, so I appreciate your knowledge where mine has diminished.
yeah agree that you should be fine. most likely you won't be cranking out the full 150 watts (esp if it's solid state, cuz it'll sound pretty undefined at that level. beyond that, guitar speakers are actually rated fairly conservatively for power handling.

consider a cranked tube amp rated at 50 watts, it's rating is for clean headroom so the tube amp while most likely be creating more than 50 watts while cranked. guitar speakers account for that, plus more generally. they rate them this way cuz we treat our speakers so bad, and it is not uncommon for guitar players to push beyond rated tolerances.

you should be fine.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
This gives me some confidence then that I can at least use it for practice. It's something for nothing, and I am grateful. I'll probably look into buying a new cab in the near future. Are there any recommendations as to which would be sufficient?
anything at or above 8 ohms, with a power handling of 150 or better should be technically sufficient. avatar makes some very affordable, very competitive quality cabs with a bunch of speaker choices.

this is roughly the time we ask the usual questions like these:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

but since i am guessing you play some rock, i would recommend a cab similar to mine: the avatar contemporary 2x12. i'd get it loaded with classic 80's, V30's, or G12K-100's (all those will be adequate, if not ideal, for your power handling needs).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae