Hey GB&C

The screws on my american strat have become rusted especially the ones around the scratchplate(I think it must be slightly damp in my bedroom although I've not had a prob with my other guitars). Does anyone have any tips on how to clean/shine them up again?

Cheers
Vinegar or Cola will also clean the oxidation off usually. I don't remember how well it leaves a shine on them, I think vinegar will do that will. You could throw them in a pot and heat the vinegar up a little bit too for faster reactions. Keep a vent on, it burns to breath it otherwise. If you use a bit of steel wool to scratch the surface up first it will also remove it faster.

Do you sweat a lot when you play, and if so do you wipe the guitar off before you put it away? That could be the cause of your problem.
Last edited by XgamerGt04 at Mar 27, 2011,
Cheers gonna give the vinegar idea a go and then a rub with wire wool if they still need it. I generally wipe my guitar down after playing, no idea why this has happened on my start n none of my other guitars. Thanks for the advice!
Quote by kav101
Cheers gonna give the vinegar idea a go and then a rub with wire wool if they still need it. I generally wipe my guitar down after playing, no idea why this has happened on my start n none of my other guitars. Thanks for the advice!

Forgot to mention that you can add a few teaspoons of table salt to it. Put enough vinegar in to cover the screws, use a tablespoon measure so you know how much you put in... and put the same number of teaspoons of table salt in it.

You can do all sorts of cleaning with vinegar though, its laughable how many cleaning products people buy when it is essentially vinegar or baking soda.
EvapoRust! Get it at Harbor Freight or an auto parts shop. Just pour some into a bowl, throw the screws in there for a few hours and you are done without scratching anything. I use this stuff all the time. You can pour the stuff back into the container so it lasts a long time. I've removed the crud and rust from many hand tools and other crap with this stuff. Put some carnuba wax on the parts afterwards to help fight the rust from coming back.
Last edited by samhell at Mar 28, 2011,