Page 1 of 2
Hello,
Now, I am going to share with you one of my biggest secrets - I am afraid of tuning my guitar. You wouldn't understand at your first go so bear with me on this one. I am afraid of tuning my guitar because I am afraid of breaking a string. I have been playing for 2 years now but still I am afraid of tuning my guitar so much I avoid it as far as possible. I mean I keep my guitar tuned at 1 step down so i can avoid tightening the strings so much. I can't overcome this stupid fear. I always think I'm gonna hurt myself or my things. I need some advice or a free service-guy who can replace and tune my strings.

I'd be really grateful if you spare some advice.

PS: I want to know if any one else has this fear too, or is it just me?

Thanks.
How many times have you tuned your guitar in those two years...? No idea why you'd be worried. If you break a string, get a new one.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Man the **** up fool.

But yeah, sometimes i get a little nervous tuning my high E in case it snaps and takes me eye with it, but it can take it. It's what it was born to do...
Quote by Rocker007
Blackrat has won this thread. That is an awsome post.

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."
Yeah, I keep my guitar at drop C and only tune my lower string up (and sometimes down) a step, and just use the pitch-shift effect on my amp to change the tunings.

I'm fine with making small changes so my guitar isn't out of tune, but I generally never make changes within a tone up.
Ergh... I hate tuning my high e string right after changing strings... But they don't just break man.

Also I've never been hurt or broken anything else with a broken string... it's not like they have heaps of energy stored in them. They just break and suddenly you've got a piece of wire hanging off your guitar. Unless you play bass, in that case I'd be a little scared.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
You need to grow a pair, fool. Also, that shit won't break unless you're tightening up really quickly. Go slowly, they won't snap, even if you over tighten a little.
You need to change your strings and get over your fear. Not only is a badly-tuned guitar just a silly thing anyway, old strings really don't sound as good as new, clean ones.

Just go buy a new pack, it's easy.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
You need to change your strings and get over your fear. Not only is a badly-tuned guitar just a silly thing anyway, old strings really don't sound as good as new, clean ones.

Just go buy a new pack, it's easy.

That depends what kind of sound you'd want.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I know that feeling, but strings DONT break towards your face EVER. If you are tuning your guitar in normal playing position they will at the most break "out" away from you. When you are changing your strings it might be a little nervous to do it, but just keep your face away. And hell, if they break they are BAD strings (at tuning) so it is better to get them away. Good strings wont break that easy.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
For one thing, strings are supposed to be tough so they dont break easily. Thats why they're usually made of steel. Thats a metal.
Of course, you do also get nylon string guitars, but nylon's tough as well.

If your afraid of turning the wrong way and therefore ending up turning it too much trying to get the right note, remember that clockwise is down, anti-clockwise is up. (I hope thats right.)
Musical Theatre! *jazz hands*

...what am I doing on this site...
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
That depends what kind of sound you'd want.

Yeah, i mean you could want to sound like slash...

[/controversial!]
Quote by Rocker007
Blackrat has won this thread. That is an awsome post.

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."
I have not once snapped a string when tuning normally.
I did, however, break one that was tuned like an octave too high.
And I broke a string once that was like 2 years old (on a guitar I never played)
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
if it snaps it wont hurt you unless you're holding your guitar up to your face.the high E is most likely to snap out of all of them and that doesnt whip much when it breaks so there's no worries
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
and to be honest, its actually quite the opposite for me. I once spent ages trying to tune this youth group's cheap old acoustic guitar and I must have turned the keys almost 45 degrees. None of the strings broke.

Are you even using the correct string gauge?
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
even when they do break, they dont hurt you or anything... it just breaks... maybe try to overcome your fear by breaking a string on purpose...
---
Some of you were helpful while some you of you were complete ***holes....I finally tuned to Half Step Down...So thanks a lot guys, maybe i will get to standard one day..
PS: I have a Floating bridge. No fun.
Its not like youre going to snap a string and have it lodged in your eye and have to have it removed by a doctor and have only partial sight in one eye.

If you cant tune a guitar i think you should put guitar down and pick up somthing else. Maybe crafts or knitting...
I get a little edgy tuning high e, but I get over it. It just involves me squinting and flinching more.
Have a Christmas
Quote by FlameGame
**** YEAH! i just tuned my guitar! **** you

I've never broken a string while tuning. I've broken many strings actually playing

Are you scared of playing your guitar as well?
MANCHESTER UNITED
I should be scared of tuning my guitar because EVERY SINGLE TIME a string flies out and hits me in the face. But I'm not
cat
One of the first times I was restringing my guitar I did it with it facing up on my lap, and I over tightened the high e string by way too much because I wasn't paying attention (.009) and it snapped and hit my eyelid and just underneath my eyebrow. It made my eye water because of the shock but it didn't even bleed or anything, so yeah I wouldn't worry about it.

Also if it were that dangerous, they would put warnings to wear goggles on the string packets to prevent injury.
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Yeah, I use a Squier Strat.
Last edited by DecaPodge at Mar 27, 2011,
I snapped a string in my face once, since then I have developed a mild fear. Not really while tuning though, only when changing strings.
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Quote by CreepingDeath13
Its not like youre going to snap a string and have it lodged in your eye and have to have it removed by a doctor and have only partial sight in one eye.

If you cant tune a guitar i think you should put guitar down and pick up somthing else. Maybe crafts or knitting...

Knitting?! Are you mad?! Those needles could take an eye out
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
I've had a string snap and hit me in the face before while tuning it. Now whenever I change a string and tune it I always hold my guitar away from me.

I know I'm a pussy.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
I have been playing for 4 year and a half and I have never, ever, broke a string. You shouldn't really be worried.
TS, I'm right there with you...I hate tuning my guitar as well mostly because I've bled many times from the string hitting me when it breaks. I also will NOT tune a guitar that is not my own. I have no idea why I'm so afraid of this, but I am a nervous person in general so I'm used to being afraid of dumb stuff. That's why i tune to Drop B
CoB>FoB
"I am just a man, with a heart and sinful hands"

Gear:
Washburn Idol WI68
Washburn x-series floyd rose
Full stack Laney
other shitty amps/pedals/guitars
M-audio Interface
I've just now pulled a Floyd up a whole tone. Nada happened.
Seriously, unless you're an idiot nothing will happen when tuning to standard.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
hold the neck of your guitar (over the strings) while you're tuning up so if it breaks it wont go anywhere
Page 1 of 2