Hi all,

This will probably be my second post in GB&C, after being a truent of the forum I decided this would be the right place to ask advice.

As of today I realised that after 2 years or so of playing my MIM strat, the neck is just not for me. It's a stock standard MIM strat neck, from my 2006/07 standard MIM strat:

- thin C shape
- Rosewood board on Maple
- 21 Vintage (small) frets
- measuring 430mm at the nut and 530mm at the 12th
- Finished in some sort of Urethane coat

Most of which annoy me in some way or other. So GB&C, my questions are:

1. Do I make do with what I have and sand the finish off the neck? I do prefer playing on unfinished/oiled necks
OR 2. Replace the neck altogether and find something more suited for me; easier as I have a few offers lined up.
3. If I replace the neck, would a standard MIA strat neck with 22 frets suffice?

Things I'm looking for:
- Bigger frets (medium-jumbo/jumbo?)
- Chunkier neck; D shaped? (something suited to rhythm guitar)
- Unfinished/ oil finished neck/ satin feel

Thanks in advance for your help!
- bui
Last edited by buid at Mar 27, 2011,
You have a wide choice. If you want a new neck you could go with an aftermarket neck like Warmoth (Let them know the nut width cause MIM and MIA are different widths. The nut width lines up with the width of your bridge) or buy a Fender neck (Tons of them on Ebay) I have done both. Reliablefender on EBay sells used and new necks, all original Fender parts. (Typical price on Ebay has been around $180-240. I have yet to have a problem with any of them. He gives full descriptions of the neck with condition. I also have purchsed Warmoth necks. I feel these are possibly the best necks available. You can order one that is already built with many specs you are wanting and get a great price or order one to specifically to your specs and pay a little more. Warmoth prices have been around $180-$375. Depends on your specs. Finishes will add around $90 thats why the big price difference.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
You can change the neck if you want to, you'll just need to make sure the scale is the same (25,5"). If you replace it with any neck made for a strat, it should be fine, but do make sure it fits the neck pocket before you buy anything.

You could always have Warmoth build you a new neck if you can afford it. I just calculated how much a neck you want would cost and the total was $257. It's not all that much, as necks are pretty expensive.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
get some 0000 steel wool and knock the finish on the back of the neck down to a satin. this takes about 30 seconds and is the cheapest way i can think of. if you decide you need to sell the neck or want to undo it, a little bit of buffing should fix it.
Thanks for all your input guys, I've taken everything into special consideration and will look into each option in detail.

I've searched up Reliablefender's ebay store and it looks like a pretty viable option at the moment. I'm particularly partial to the big 70's CBS style headstock - don't flame me if i'm another naive soul!!

I will definitely look into "satin"izing my neck!

As for Warmoth necks: I've looked into these as a very strong option and came |---| this close to purchasing one used, but decided not to as they are out of my budget!

Thanks for the replies again!
The neck has to have the same number of frets, unless the replacement neck has an overhang.

You can't replace your 21 fret neck with a 22 fret neck for example, unless you change the neck pocket or the bridge position.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I have the big 70's neck on my Blue Strat (In my pics) It has a great feel to it. Comes with the jumbo frets which are nice.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats

Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
VERY INTERESTED IN THESE:

1.) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2011-American-Fender-Stratocaster-Strat-NECK-Guitar-USA-/200590655080?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2eb4227e68

2.) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fender-Birdseye-Stratocaster-Strat-NECK-TUNERS-Guitar-/200584810024?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2eb3c94e28

3.) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fender-Stratocaster-Tom-Delonge-Strat-NECK-TUNERS-/190504439459?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c5af30ea3

Some questions and reservations I'm having:

Option 1 has a different tuning peg arrangement than my MIM neck as it is MIA, I'm wondering if I ought to buy an american neck with tuners instead.

Option 2 is beautiful.

Option 3 looks awesome: has a 70's CBS headstock; is unfinished; condition is questionable, medium jumbo frets; as for price? I'll let you knowledgeable folk determine that...

OH! another thing, what exactly are the differences in neck shape, I've seen countless diagrams and whatnot but still cannot make any distinctions between the lot, eg. Difference between "C shape" and "modern C shape"??

As always, thanks a bunch!
Quote by Nutter_101
The neck has to have the same number of frets, unless the replacement neck has an overhang.

You can't replace your 21 fret neck with a 22 fret neck for example, unless you change the neck pocket or the bridge position.

Great to know! I would have made an idiot of myself, and a panicky thread about it all! Thanks!

EDIT! what exactly is overhang? does that refer to the extra bit of fretboard that extends out and onto the body? How does that affect everything? How would I have to change my neck pocket?

sorry for bombarding you with questions!

Quote by JohnnyNash
I have the big 70's neck on my Blue Strat (In my pics) It has a great feel to it. Comes with the jumbo frets which are nice.

I actually just developed a fondness for them searching for new necks, I like the look of the CBS strat neck + headstock on the '72 Tele Deluxes, they look great
Last edited by buid at Mar 27, 2011,
Quote by buid
Great to know! I would have made an idiot of myself, and a panicky thread about it all! Thanks!

EDIT! what exactly is overhang? does that refer to the extra bit of fretboard that extends out and onto the body? How does that affect everything? How would I have to change my neck pocket?

sorry for bombarding you with questions!

Not a problem man, I'm having a boring day waiting to rehearse.

Basically, the scale lengths of your two necks have to be the same, say, 25.5 inches for a strat. Now, on your neck, the 12 fret is at 12.75 inches, and the neck pocket is designed so that with the 21st fret against the bottom of the pocket, the 12 fret is in the right place.

Now, if there 22 fret is at the end, the 12 fret has been pushed away from the bridge by the width of the 21st-22nd fret.

So, you have several options.

1) Move the bridge so that with the 22 fret neck in the the 12th fret is the right distance from it.

2) Reroute the neck pocket so the 12th and 21st fret are in the same place as they were before. It would need to be longer. (This may be a problem with your neck pickup).

3) A neck with an overhang is where the fretboard hangs over the end of the neck by 1 fret. Might be a problem with your neck pickup again, not sure. I've never used an overhang .

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

As far as Reliablefender I would bid on a neck and not pay a buy it now price. I usually save $60-100 bidding. Yes sometimes I lose the one I want but I get some great deals also. The one on my Blue Strat cost me around $187 and it was new. Look through all of his items and it will say MIM or MIA or even MIJ. (I have a MIJ which I would not trade for the world. Great neck)

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats

Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Thanks Nutter_101! Definitely sticking to an ordinary 21 fretter neck. Also nice to know your getting a kick out of your helpfulness, have fun at rehearsal!

JohnnyNash, taking your advice head on since I figure I'll try and save a buck or two while i'm at it. Have just put down a successful bid for this sucker right here:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200590275600

Hope all goes well! If so, it'll be shipped to Aus into my loving arms in no time!
The Jimmie Vaughan Strat is one of if not the best MIM strat there is. I own one myself, red with a maple neck. Smooth finish and a nice feel. Alot of session players here in Nashville own one and use them in the studio

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats

Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
JohnnyNash; right on man! I figured it would be more worthwhile investing in the signature neck than anything else, where I guess more attention to detail is paid. All in all, it fits the docket well!

Oh BTW, how substantial will the tone change be switching from a rosewoob fretboard to an all maple neck?
It will brighten it up some but not drastically. I like both, rosewood and maple.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats

Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Sorry to hijack the thread but i'm in the process of buying a new guitar neck for my frankie project. It originally had 21 frets, but i want 22.What would happen if i replaced it with a 22 fret neck?
Quote by RockGuitarist09
Sorry to hijack the thread but i'm in the process of buying a new guitar neck for my frankie project. It originally had 21 frets, but i want 22.What would happen if i replaced it with a 22 fret neck?

If you just stick the new neck in there, as you go up the neck it'll become more and more out of tune with what the note should actually be.

You'll have to either move the bridge or lengthen the neck pocket to accommodate the extra fret!
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

if its a strat style guitar, and if the 22 fretter has an overhang, ur fine...is a 22 fret strat style bolt on neck without an overhang that common?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
if its a strat style guitar, and if the 22 fretter has an overhang, ur fine...is a 22 fret strat style bolt on neck without an overhang that common?

not sure, thought it would be better to ask, than to screw it up.
Thanks for the info.
Quote by Nutter_101
Quote by RockGuitarist09

If you just stick the new neck in there, as you go up the neck it'll become more and more out of tune with what the note should actually be.

You'll have to either move the bridge or lengthen the neck pocket to accommodate the extra fret!

No problem man, just read the previous posts as i had a similar question, which was answered well! Hope all goes well with your project.

My JV strat neck is doing well, no one's tried to outbid me (however it went up a few dollars overnight). I'm thoroughly excited for this!