Hello UG.

I'm currently living a dilema. I've found my 2 dream guitars, but I don't know which one I should REALLY pick. Could you give me your opinions?

I usually play things from bands like GUNS N' ROSES, ACDC, METALLICA, DREAM THEATER, PINK FLOYD, LED ZEPPELIN, IRON MAIDEN.. also guitarrists like JOE SATRIANI and GARY MOORE... things like those.

Well, the two guitars in question are:

Sterling JP50 by Musicman

PICTURE: http://i56.tinypic.com/24ya44i.jpg

Features:

* Basswood Body with Custom Forearm Contour
* Maple Neck
* Rosewood Fingerboard
* Custom Sterling Petrucci Neck Carve
* 24 Frets
* Scale: 25,5"
* Nut width: 1,65"
* Locking Tuners
* 2x Sterling Modern Humbucker
* 3 Way Toggle Switch
* Sterling Modern Tremelo
* Finish: Pearl Red Burst
* Incl. Bag

A video just to have an idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkrkvOySakc

SCHECTER HELLRAISER C-1 FR

PICTURE: http://i56.tinypic.com/dbpgur.jpg

Features:

* Mahogany Body
* Quilted Maple Top
* Set Mahogany Neck
* Rosewood Fingerboard
* 24 Frets
* "Gothic Cross" Inlays
* Scale: 25,5" / 648 mm
* Grover Tuners
* Abalone Binding
* EMG Active 81-TW/89 Pickups
* 2x Volume (tap) and Tone control
* 3 way switch
* Original Floyd Rose Tremolo
* Black Chrome Hardware
* Finish: Black Cherry

A video just to have an idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awhgmH_va3k

I've already played both of them, and I've loved them equally

Which one should I buy? Which one would you buy?

Thanks for the attention,

Sparkz
Last edited by SparkzPT at Mar 27, 2011,
I've found the MusicMan guitars tend to be overpriced for what they are, until you get to the really expensive ones. I know a few people with the Ernie Ball MusicMan BFR guitars and they say they're worth every cent, but until around that point, they're just not worth it.

So out of those two, the Schecter.
schecter
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Have you played either one? It's really a question of feel. The Music Man and Schecter feel very different (I have a friend who owns both). I would take the Schecter myself, but if you like the Music Man neck go for that.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Strange. I was hoping for more jp50 choices. And why would you take the schecter over the jp50, may I know?
I would consider other guitars than the 2 you listed too.

For the stuff you play you should look for two passive humbuckers, possibly with coil taps.
EMGs aren't bad pickups, they aren't everyone's thing though and IMO not really something versatile.

Something Les Paul-ish should work for your playing style: mahagony guitar with maple cap, 2 passive humbuckers, maybe a Floyd, but I don't know how much you would need it, you might need it for Satriani and some Metallica solos, maybe Dream Theater (not sure on that one).
Just try any guitar with that specs in your price range.

If you need a good Floyd guitar "on the cheap" I would suggest a Charvel Pro Mod.

EDIT: Most UG users are Schecter-fanboys.
Quote by JesusCrisp

If you need a good Floyd guitar "on the cheap" I would suggest a Charvel Pro Mod.

+1 on both points
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JesusCrisp
I would consider other guitars than the 2 you listed too.

For the stuff you play you should look for two passive humbuckers, possibly with coil taps.
EMGs aren't bad pickups, they aren't everyone's thing though and IMO not really something versatile.

Something Les Paul-ish should work for your playing style: mahagony guitar with maple cap, 2 passive humbuckers, maybe a Floyd, but I don't know how much you would need it, you might need it for Satriani and some Metallica solos, maybe Dream Theater (not sure on that one).
Just try any guitar with that specs in your price range.

Thanks for the answers. I think that I don't really need the floyd rose, but yeah, at the same time, I do need it due to the things I play :/ A les paul-ish thing wouldn't do it because of my price range (from 850€ to 1000&euro.

But yeah, If I had the money, I would take a really good gibson les paul (1000€ gibson les paul studio isn't a really good thing as the real ones for the money).

And don't worry, I think that the schecter hellraiser is a really versatile guitar, even though it is build for more attack and heavy tones, it can achieve pretty beautiful clean tones.

That guitar isn't out of question, but well, if you guys think there are better guitars in that price range, I am openly happy to accept the suggestions!

Any more opinions, please?
Last edited by SparkzPT at Mar 27, 2011,
Who ever said it had to be an overpriced Gibson? Find a nice Epiphone, LTD EC, or PRS SE Singlecut. The Schecter is a solid choice, and the EMGs are fine - but you might want to see if they offer a model with passive pickups. Otherwise, just grab the Schecter - its a solid guitar.
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1 on both points

Please. Dave, you know I hate Schecters, but the Schecter is a better guitar for the money than the MusicMan.

The Charvel would be a good idea as well, but so would an ESP M-II. EMGs are exactly as versatile as you can EQ, so if you know your shit, there are no pickups as versatile.
I say go for a Gibson. If a Les Paul is our of your price range, try an SG. They get tones that are fairly similar to a Les Paul.
i want to say musicman because of their reputation, but i mean the specs on the the schecter is really nice, and the finish too.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by trueamerican
(a) Please. Dave, you know I hate Schecters, but the Schecter is a better guitar for the money than the MusicMan.

(b) The Charvel would be a good idea as well, but so would an ESP M-II. EMGs are exactly as versatile as you can EQ, so if you know your shit, there are no pickups as versatile.

(a) ah yeah, good point. I was just agreeing with the general sentiment.

(b) Oh yeah, the mii is a nice guitar. Just here (not sure where the TS is, I don't think he said) it's about twice the cost of the charvel.

Quote by EspTro
i want to say musicman because of their reputation,

lolwut? i'm pretty sure musicman's reputation relates to their US models...

EDIT: just as an aside, to everyone saying the schecter because of the specs, the floyd is probably an frt-x000, not a schaller OFR. And I'd be very surprised if the mahogany is genuine mahogany. I mean, sure, it's probably a bit nicer than cheap basswood (i assume the basswood on the sterling is of the cheaper variety), but I mean it's not like you're comparing honduran mahogany to cheap-ass basswood, lol. EDIT #2: and the maple top is probably a veneer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 28, 2011,