This didn't really fit anywhere else, so here it goes.

I've realized music is all I love in this life. Nothing else interest me. At all. I hate every aspect of school, apart from seeing my girlfriend and friends. I despise every other subject that I take. I haven't taken music, because I couldn't.

I've been playing guitar for almost a year. I'm okay, I can play metal and rock and blues. I'm starting to get into jazz and classical, but I fail hopelessly at it. I'm learning theory, too, but basics. I'm pretty good at what I play, I have perfect rhythm and am improving at a good pace I think.

I'm a junior in high school. I want to do music in college.

Could I major in music anything for college? Probably not theory, because I suck at theory now, but maybe performance or music in general? I just want to do music. It's all I have.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
If you really want to follow music you have put the work in NOW. You still have the time. Find a teacher who can teach you theory and who can get your skills to where they need to be for entrance into music school. Above all, practice, practice and practice. Theory is practically essential for music college, depending on where you want to go and what type of music course you want to apply to.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
You can major in music performance but I doubt you can just ignore theory all together. Really though, you've been playing guitar for a year and you want to devote your life to it?
Just start learning theory now. If you have problems reading sheet music with the guitar, take up playing the piano. If you study music in college you will be surrounded by people who know theory, there's no point in risking being left behind
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
I guess you're in a similar position to where I was 2 years ago. I'd never taken music or anything at school for some strange reason, but now I'm at university studying music technology.
I got in on my enthusiasm on my personal statement and my maths skillz.
I don't know whether they exist where you are but we have instrument and theory grades here. I was considering doing them but uni told me I was in anyway so I never bothered. However, you might want to get yourself some of them if they exist. Just put the work in! Good luck to you, I hope you make it (:
Last edited by captainsnazz at Mar 27, 2011,
Keep at the theory, I say. Of course you're going to suck at it now, since you barely started learning it. I thought I was the crappiest programmer when I started learning how to program, but EVENTUALLY it just made sense (all of the sudden I might add). Point is, keep prodding at the subject and learn it because it's probably crucial you learn it if you want to do music in college.
Look into other areas of music as well. Like music technology, music journalism, music marketing ect.

Don't just limit yourself to just performing and recoding.
Thank you for all the replies. I'm not limiting myself to anything, I'm open to all ideas. I just have very limited knowledge.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
I'm studying composition/film scoring/conducting, but the most important thing that I've learned is that if you want to make a career out of music, not only do you have to be a professional musician, but you also have to be a professional businessman. When you become a musician, you also become a business entity as an independent contractor (rarely will you be an employee other than teaching). So aside from your music skills, you gotta take of business logistics such as financing/taxation, network/relationship building, and "company" operations. So that's something to consider.

Also keep in mind that your music degree itself isn't going to do anything for employment. Anyone who just bums along college expecting things are just going to "happen" after getting a degree in music is delusional. What you should ultimately get out of it is the skills necessary to get in the game and know how to play it.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 27, 2011,