Poll: Which multi effects would you prefer?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which multi effects would you prefer?
DigiTech RP355
5 23%
Line 6 Floor POD Plus
4 18%
Vox ToneLab ST
8 36%
Boss ME-25
5 23%
Zoom G2.1Nu
0 0%
Voters: 22.
which one will u choose?.......................tell us why?....................the price are all the same.....................
Last edited by blunter at Mar 27, 2011,
I probably wouldn't get a multi effects pedal unless I was running it through a mixer
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
None of those, there are much better out there, by each of those brands, and some still suck.
my budget..... not more than 200 bucks....................and this is only the options...................or maybe u can recommend other effects
Well, I have an RP355 and I think it's the most versatile of the choices. But none, including the RP355 are ideal. IMHO, Digitech's only good MFX is the GNX4 (got one of those too), and even it has a lot of shortcomings.

Crohno makes a good point, but not everyone can spend $850 on this.

If I had to get an MFX on the market now, it'd be a Line 6 HD400 or 500 even if I had to save up for a year to do it. They really have reached the next level with their modeling and it's like having an M-9 and an M-13 stomp box modeler combined on top of that. Sure--you don't get all the control you'd get with the real M-9 & M-13, but you get all the effects.

The problem with MFX in the $200 range is they don't have a lot of controls on them and they can't store a lot of patches. Also, each patch is limited in how many different aspects you can control. For example, you can't selectively use both a phaser and a whammy effect in the same patch.

In general, they're really clunky to control and it takes forever to get it to change what they're doing. Really limits what you can get out of them on stage.

My RP355 is OK for basic practice plugged into my VOX DA5. It can dial up a basic tone to match the genre I'm playing (e.g., surf, garage rock, thrash/metal, punk). It has a great spring reverb model. But effects are pretty useless since you have to put it in "STOMP Mode" to be able to independently control distortion, chorus/FX, and delay. And you can't change patches or switch between Amp A-B in that mode. Totally useless live unless you got a great amp with a footswitch and you don't use the MFX for modeling at all. Even then, unless you only use the same distortion, chorus, and delay for every song, it's still useless because it's such a pain to change patches. And if you did, then why not just use regular pedals?

The ease and speed of use you get from a bunch more controls is worth the $200 - $300 more for a full-size MFX like a GNX4 or an HD400.

The other thing the RP355 is good for is travel. You can plug headphones directly into it and leave the amp at home. Sure, you could also do that with a Marshall MS-2 or a VOX AmPlug, but this gives you a lot more tonal choices, some basic effects, and you can even plug it into your laptop for some basic recording--OK for capturing your ideas--not a substitute for a decent audio interface.

Anyway, ideally, you get something in this range after you already have a full-featured MFX, and then only use these for situations where you really need the compromise. If I went out and got a Line 6 HD500 for the stage, then my GNX4 would replace the RP355 in the computer room, and the RP355 would only see travel duty.

It's worth saving up for the full size units.
i spent 250 bucks on a mfx pedal only to realize the sound i really wanted came from my amp..
Out of those I voted for the RP355. I have an ME-25 and it would be my second pick. The reason why I picked the RP355 over the ME is because it has a built in drum machine and the concensus that I'm seeing by users and sample clips is that the RP355 is capable of producing some very good tones.

I've compared the ST and ME-25 head to head and prefer the ME-25. The ST has no looper, which is a big deal for me. The ME looper I believe is the longest at 38 sec. Not sure about the RP355 but I'm guessing 24 sec. The drum machine and the looper do not work together on the RP355. That's a shame but no other multifx will sync the looper with the drum machine except the GNX4 (and GNX3).

The ME-25 can run off batteries, which could be an important feature. And the ME-25 has a cool Freeze effect.

I have no opinion on the Zoom and no experience with the Floor Pod except I don't think the Floor Pod brings anything to the table . All of the multifx listed lack enough foot switches to work well (or at all) in stomp box mode. So no real preferences there.

And in reference to jetwash's claim that you can get a GNX4 for a couple hundred more. I think you can get GNX4's all day long on eBay for under $250.

Here's a BIN on GNX4 for $200...

http://cgi.ebay.com/DigiTech-GNX4-Guitar-Workstation-Multi-Effects-Guita-/200590570633?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2eb4213489
Last edited by fly135 at Mar 27, 2011,
Quote by fly135
And in reference to jetwash's claim that you can get a GNX4 for a couple hundred more. I think you can get GNX4's all day long on eBay for under $250.

Here's a BIN on GNX4 for $200...

http://cgi.ebay.com/DigiTech-GNX4-Guitar-Workstation-Multi-Effects-Guita-/200590570633?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2eb4213489

That's true, if you don't mind used (might not come with the software or cables). I haven't seen a new on on Ebay since I bought mine about 4 years ago for $400; they were still making them and street price was about $500. I wouldn't buy a used one sight unseen--the controls are kind of fragile.

I was talking about new ones. Too bad the RP500s and RP1000s don't have all the features or the interface like the GNX4. Their true stomp switches, slightly improved models, and effects loop would be killer comined with stuff like flash card storage, onboard 8-track recording/looping, mp3-player, and midi. But they could make those better, too.

The GNX4's on-board recorder/looper is a pain because the volume plays back too loud -- you have to reduce playback volume manually and it seems inconsistent and unpredictable. Also it could realy use full transport controls (can't rewind or skip, have to start at begining of mp3s or midi drum sequences. Also have to set midi drum sequence tempo manually every time and can't automatically change tempo mid-song from the midi file.

So while it had the most comprehensive set of features of the MFXs of the day, they weren't implemented all that well. It seems like they were planning on building a GNX4000 to refine all the GNX4's features like they did the GNX300 to build on the GNX3. But they came out with the RP1000 instead and backed away from the full featured approach.

Maybe it's all too ambitious for a pedal anyway. Some of the controls work well in a pedal, but other things you could really use at chest-level unless you want to squat between songs all the time. For home studio use, so many of the features were only marginally useful and you'll find yourself getting a mixing board, a computer, and audio interfaces to do right, anyway.

It would be cool if someone came up with a system with a pedal and a microphone boom-mountable touch screen (bluetooth, perhaps?) to more effectively do what the GNX4 strives to do. But it'll be a long time before somebody could build it cheaply enough to sell it for under $500.
You might find somewhere to buy a GNX4 new but by and large they are discontinued. I have two that I bought used and they have no problems at all.
Quote by voleurz
i spent 250 bucks on a mfx pedal only to realize the sound i really wanted came from my amp..

this is why i like the rp series, its very easy to switch between amp sound and pedal sounds. that what i do with my rig, but I have the 1000
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right
none of those. boss gt-10. it has everything on it and can do whatever u want. plus it has trs and midi amp channel switching capabilities. all for 500 bucks.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by iheartgun
none of those. boss gt-10. it has everything on it and can do whatever u want. plus it has trs and midi amp channel switching capabilities. all for 500 bucks.

seems like a decent effects.............but it cost 500 bucks..........................i rather buy a new guitar if i got 500 bucks man.........
I would say no multi-effects, analog sounds much better. If you only want a few effects, pedals would be much better. guitarfetish.com has some cheap analog stuff, I've heard good stuff about the pedals. I've ordered stuff from there and plan on buying more in the future. I'd say $50 for a true bypass analog pedal is a great deal if it sounds good. Also, Ibanez has some cheap pedals, including a Tubescreamer (TS-7) for $40 that is basically a TS-9 in an uglier box.
Why don't you hit enter instead of combining about 50 ellipses?

Either way the RP is probably the best out of those choices. Honestly though I wouldn't waste my money. Ironically enough, though, I'm looking into an older rackmount POD.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Boss.
Because of their repuatation.
I don't have their multiFX, but their regular stopboxes are awesome.
2011 PRS CU24 (Black/Gold), Carvin Legacy 3
Quote by TornUp
Boss.

Their regular stompboxes are BUILT awesome. However, most of them do not SOUND awesome.

That being said, Boss multieffects are horrible in my experience. The only thing they do good is reverb, delay, and chorus.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
If i was going to buy one it would be the Tonelab. Best MFX i've ever heard.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by TornUp
Boss.

I wouldn't go by reputation. Look at Marshall's huge reputation and all the crappy amps they make now. They had a lot of amazing amps from the 60s to the 80s (early JCMs), but after that it's been overpriced junk, IMHO. The only Boss pedals I like are the CE-1, CE-2, OD-1, and OD-2.
Last edited by plexi123 at Apr 5, 2011,