So I've been playing guitar for just over two years now and I'm comfortable with what I know so far (i.e. scales, songs). But I've realised that I need to learn theory to actually go anywhere musically.

Is the best way to learn theory to get a teacher or to do it by myself? And if it is to do it by myself could somebody recommend some good theory sites?

Thanks
I'd start with intervals and learning how chords are built, the major/minor scales.
I had a guitar teacher for my first year and a half, then I took music theory and history classes last year in high school. If they offer them, take them. Don't even think twice about it. They helped me so much, and I'm ahead of a lot of my theory-less peers.

Now though, I teach myself new stuff. If you want to teach yourself, I suggest you get some Guitar Grimoire books. I have one for Scales and Modes, it's very helpful.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
A teacher is of course going to help you learn things much faster and will help you find ways to apply theory to guitar, but that costs a lot of money and learning things by yourself helps develop a unique creative style. I'm struggling with grasping all of the concepts and remembering everything from week to week, but the important thing is to just keep at it. I have a problem with taking a day to read about theory and then not touching it again for a couple weeks.
Here's the site I use: http://www.musictheory.net/
Quote by mnf50
So I've been playing guitar for just over two years now and I'm comfortable with what I know so far (i.e. scales, songs). But I've realised that I need to learn theory to actually go anywhere musically.

Well, that isn't true. You can definitely go somewhere musically without understanding theory.

If you're genuinely interested in it though, you should study it.

Quote by mnf50

Is the best way to learn theory to get a teacher or to do it by myself? And if it is to do it by myself could somebody recommend some good theory sites?

Thanks

I would recommend that you take a class, study with a teacher, and/or get a book.

You can get some good info at sites like this.....

http://www.musictheory.net/
shred is gaudy music
All of these advice's given are good ones for self study. I'll let you know of another one, my Online Guitar School, where we specialize in this, and how to apply it to the guitar. The link is in my sig below.

Is it right for you? I don't know, but I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have about it to determine if its a good fit for you. There are many options that may work, I just wanted you to be aware of this one as well.

PM me if we can help.

Best,

Sean
The guitar grimoire books are useless for actually learning theory as they use their own unique symbols for chords and such.
Quote by MatthewLeisher
The guitar grimoire books are useless for actually learning theory as they use their own unique symbols for chords and such.

+1 and I'd say they're not all that great for learning scales either.

A book like this can be a good way to get started with theory..

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Theory-Dummies-Audio-CD-ROM/dp/0764578383
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 28, 2011,