Okay, so I'm looking for a tube amp thats under $1000 and is between 30-50watts, preferably closer to 30. I've checked out quite a few and I'll put them in a list. The real problem is deciding which one is going to get me the tone I'm looking for. I would most likely be playing blues, punk rock, and indie rock with my amp. My favorite tone is East Bay Ray's guitar from the Dead Kennedys, but I don't think I'm looking for a JCM 800. I will most likely play more dirty sounds than anything else. I'm playing a Jazzmaster if it makes a difference.

So here is a list of tube amps. Please rate them and let me know from experience how they are. Where I live there is an extremely limited variety of amps that I can get my hands on to try.

Orange Dual Terror
Egnater Rebel 30
Vox Night Train
Vox AC30
Orange Rocker
Mesa Boogie Lone Star
JCM 800? Maybe?
Bogner Alchemist

Any more suggestions? Feel free.

Honestly, I really like the British sound of the dual terror, but the lack of eq controls worries me. Let me know what you think.
Last edited by beezus at Mar 27, 2011,
Orange Rocker
Dual Terror
Mesa Boogie Lonestar

I would try to decide between these one. Personally I would go for Rocker It is such a badass amp. It will cover everything.
Which Jazzmaster? All the gear makes difference with this one especially which cab you're going to get.
The thing you didn't mention or I've missed is are you getting a combo or head?
"Rise and rise again until lambs become lions!"
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
No, you shouldn't pour beer on your guitar.
Go and try amps out in your price range. Only you will be able to know when you find one that gives you the tone you're looking for.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
AC30. And if you're outside the UK the DT is way overpriced.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by exos308
Peavey 6505+ 112

That's more hardrock, metal zone I don't think he needs that.
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
I am using the J Mascis artist model Jazzmaster. I could go for a combo or a head. What do you think?
Ive heard people recommending 6505's for blues... (although one of TS's genres was blues)

If I was in your situation Id probably go try a Marshall JCM 2000 or perhaps the JCM 800. (if I could find an original 80s 800.)

EDIT: just wondering about peoples recommendations, got second thoughts. Get a Diezel or a SLO...
Quote by ethan_hanus
Jet City JCA50h, perfect amp for your price range.

I'll check it out, thanks.
I know you've said twice you're not sure about JCM 800, but...

JCM 800.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by msoban
That's more hardrock, metal zone I don't think he needs that.

Hmm thanks. I'll check out the jcm 800 everybody is telling me to get.
have you thought about trying to find a vintage ampeg reverberocket? I see them pop up on my craigslist all the time for under a thousand dollars and they are the most underrated amp ever. It sounds like an american voiced vox.
Quote by fc89konkari
Ive heard people recommending 6505's for blues... (although one of TS's genres was blues)

If I was in your situation Id probably go try a Marshall JCM 2000 or perhaps the JCM 800. (if I could find an original 80s 800.)

EDIT: just wondering about peoples recommendations, got second thoughts. Get a Diezel or a SLO...

meaby because clean gets slightly crunchy- sorta don't know how to really describe but I seriously doubt that this AMP is really metal-blast machine
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
Quote by exos308
Peavey 6505+ 112

I prefer to use the 6505+ for Progressive Gospel/Bluesgrass Thrash Core, but thats just me.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Personally I'd take the Lonestar. In fact, I did.

Still, while I would recommend one over anything else on your list, I'm not entirely sure you'll get a very good punk sound out of one.

For you the JCM800 might be the most appropriate, followed by the Orange amps.
What about a Laney GH50l or a VC30/LC30?

The Gh50l is known for being a JCM on steroids, but if you throw a A12T7 into V1 and turn up the master, "dirty" is exactly what your getting. A nice breaking up british clean sound, turn up the gain, you're getting a nice thick crunch sound.

The VC30/LC30 could be worth a look, too.
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Carvin V3 (can be switched between 100w and 50w)
Genz Benz El Diablo 60 (can be switched from 60w to 30w)

The Carvin is more versatile, but the Genz Benz is STILL a very versatile amp, LOTS of tone shaping options on both.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Egnater Renegade. it should do it all. may need a boost for some things, but it is a killer amp. i owned one before i got got my splawns and bassman.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Wait a minute, where can you get an Orange Rocker for under $1000?
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
wouldnt the dual terror + an eq pedal work?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Well, I'll throw in my 2 cents... I have a Traynor YCV80, and I think it definitely is worth a look. Since you want under 50 watts, the YCV40 (40 watts) is basically a YCV80 with half the power amp section, and definitely fits your price range. For that matter, even the YCV80 does.

The only caveat is that I would definitely recommend replacing the speaker. It ships stock with a Celestion Seventy80, which in my personal opinion is a terrible speaker for an open back cab. Or, really for use ever. Way too harsh. You can buy virtually and speaker in existence (the YCV40 is a 112) and still keep under your $1,000 ceiling.

I've got mine running some Jensen P12Ns, and it made a world of difference. I've played a lot of amps, and I don't think anything gives the sound quality per dollar of a respeakered Traynor.

For the record, I play a lot of the same stuff. It is a good warm hard overdrive sound on the gain channel with the boost off, and with the volume at 10 on the clean channel (cut with the master volume) it can pretty closely nail stuff like Minor Threat.

They aren't always easy to find to try out in the US, but if you know where to find one, I think you should at least give it a shot keeping in mind that it is much better with a new speaker.
Quote by randomletters
*Traynor rant*

yea, i have a YCV40 and it kick major ass. i highly recommend it. i still need to change the speaker though.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by jimihendrix6699
yea, i have a YCV40 and it kick major ass. i highly recommend it. i still need to change the speaker though.

I definitely recommend it. It made a huge difference for me. My amp couldn't get nearly enough lower midrange with the stock speaker.

I watched this video and decided that the Seventy80 was probably my least favorite speaker out of all of them. A lot of amps use them. I can't fathom why. Yeah, they are cheap, but for the same money, Eminence and Jensen make at least passable speakers.