Hey. I'm looking for a new amp. I've been playing for about a year now and i've grown tired of my amp, it started to sound like crap to me a long time ago but i was't sure if i was going to stick with playing guitar, 'cause i started learning by myself and was progressing really slow. Not that i'm a great player now but i can see myself playing for the rest of my life. I've been looking at some amps but i can't make up my mind, i really like the vox ac tone but i'm not sure if it's the right amp for what i want to play. I'll stop boring you and cut to the chase:

Budget - around 600/700€ (845/985$).

Genres - i'm mostly into classic/hard rock (Hendrix,Thin Lizzy, Led Zep, GnR, AC/DC...), heavy metal/NWoBHM(Priest, Maiden,VH, Scorps...) and blues(Gary Moore, SRV,Clapton,). occasionally something more alternative or a little heavier (STP,RHCP,Alter Bridge,A7X,Pantera) but that's not a big thing for me as i know i'm not going to find anything in my budget that can do all of those really well.

New or Used - I'm not picky, i don't mind if it's used.

Home or Gig - Mainly for bedroom practice and jamming with some friends, as i don't see myself gigging anytime soon.

Closest City - I'm from Lisbon (Portugal). We have some good stores around here but you can't get much other then Marshalls and Fenders so i might end up ordering online.

Current Gear - Epi Les Paul Standard (maybe changing the pu's after i get the amp) and a Line 6 Spider IV (i hate the damn thing).

So what do you guys think i should look at? and no solid state amps please
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/blackstar/ht_club-40/index.html
Going to be hard to beat this one. Great for using at home and then if you decide to start gigging it is still more than enough. One of the best selling amps the past year. There is also a 60 watt for another $100 but the 40 is more than enough

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Sounds like you want a 50W JMP, but that's neither in your budget, nor a bedroom amp.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Sounds like you want a 50W JMP, but that's neither in your budget, nor a bedroom amp.

yeah, i know marshalls aren't an option 'cause from what i've heard the ones in my price range either suck or aren't bedroom amps at all the blackstar ht's sound good i'll try to find a store that has one so i can try it. any other suggestions?
If you can find one a Carvin XV112 would be perfect. They usually go for like $350 or less on Ebay and sound very good. Very marshally overdrive and cleans that will give any amp a run for its money.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
  • Blackstar HT-20
  • Mesa Transatlantic TA-15 (3 different wattage options)
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
the mesa rocks but it's out of my price range. what do you guys think about a vox night train? would it be too loud?
Peavey Valveking. i play most of the same stuff you do and the VK does fine. can be played at low volumes and sound good and of course at 50 watts is gig worthy. knob on the back that removes one of the power tubes and takes it down to about 20 watts.
I thought my VK100 was pretty worthless other than the clean channel.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Never thought of a peavey. i'll see if i can try one, but from what i've heard they aren't that good, at least in this price range.