So the A, D and G strings all make a buzzing noise when played open. If I play on any of the frets its fine, and the other strigns are normal as well. Is this a problem with the guitar itself, or might I just need a change of strings?
Well Ive had this guitar for about a year and a half now and its never been a problem until this morning (I havent used this one for a couple weeks while I was on break though).
Why would the action haev just changed like that?
If the guitar has dried out too much, the entire bridge area can "sink" slightly, effectively lowering the action.
However... since you say the strings only buzz when played open, but not while fretted....

If overall lowering of the action was the culprit, you'd expect string buzz to continue when the strings were fretted.
Have you changed string gauges recently... To a smaller gauge, perhaps? (the strings could be rattling a bit in the too-wide nut slots, for instance....)
I'd say go to the Frets.com site and check the measurements of your action against the standard... That might give you a clue.
What does the action actually do? What are the pros/cons of high/low action. Is it ok if I try to change it myself?
Quote by ThisIsBS
What does the action actually do? What are the pros/cons of high/low action. Is it ok if I try to change it myself?

action simply refers to the height of the strings from the fretboard. Ideally you want it super low so a guitar is easier to play. But the lower you get the more chance of the strings buzzing up against the frets when you don't want them to. Of course the higher you go then less likely to be buzzing (and arguably the guitar sounds better) but more likely to be a PITA to play and of course more chances that you will be muting strings by accident.

As far as changing it yourself, sure it's Ok to try but to be honest if you have no idea what you are doing you could do all sorts of damage. If the guitar played fine before and suddenly it's buzzing while open I'd say the neck dried a bit and has moved back a bit. But it could be all sorts of other things, like maybe a loose couple of frets or maybe your board is coming loose, maybe your saddle is screwy etc. it's hard to say without looking at it.

You could what I did, read up on frets.com about action and changing it etc. and if your guitar is an el cheapo that won't be a big deal if you ruin it then go for it! If your guitar is more valuable or you simply can't afford to buy another then I'd say spend $30 or so and get a pro setup at a shop.
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
Quote by ThisIsBS

It's all personal opinion on how to set up an action. Neither high or low is right or wrong, both have pro's and con's. Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks

"Hard or high action: What this means is that the strings are higher than normal off the face of the fretboard and it required quite forceful action to press the string down to the fret."

"Soft, Fast or Low guitar action: This means the strings are low to the fretboard and little force is required to press the string to the fret. This is also know as fast action because it usually means the guitar player can play much quicker without the mechanics of pressing down aggressively on the strings."
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Thanks for all the information guys <3

Would it be ok to have high action (on the higher strings) and low action (on the lower strings)?
Quote by ThisIsBS
Thanks for all the information guys <3

Would it be ok to have high action (on the higher strings) and low action (on the lower strings)?

that'd be a bit different! I suppose a good luthier could file the nut and adjust the saddle accordingly, but could I ask why you would want that? What style do you play? Have you ever had a proper setup on your guitar before?
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
In a normal set-up there is a difference in string height between the bass and treble strings. The bass strings have a higher amplitude of vibration...They move more.
That's why we see "radiused" fretboards on better guitars, so the strings feel level to your hand but the actual distance to the fretboard is different.
As meanstreak says.... either take it to a technician and have him look at it or go to the link I posted and measure the action as shown.
Oh, nothing is wrong with my guitar on anything. I've only played guitar for a month, so I don't know what setup to get for my guitar.

I have a Silvertone Acoustic guitar with (i think) brass and/or copper strings. Only one my dad would let me buy...

What kind of set up should I do if I play mostly acoustic chord songs:

Stories by Trapt
Simple Man by Shinedown
6 Months by Hey Monday
Hero of War by Rise Against
Another Song About the Weekends - A Day to Remember

I'm kind of limited to non electric songs, gonna get an electric soon.

What type of songs should I play within my music group? I can expand to a genre if I need to, I'd love experimenting

Edit: I can't play all the songs listed, just parts of them I practice about 5 hours a day <333 guitar!