So I wrote a chord progression that goes:
Bm, G, D, A.
I like the sound of the progression, but I can't find other chords to make a different progression off of it. Anybody have any ideas?
It's in the key of D so any of D, Em, F#m, G, A, Bm, C#m7b5 will do fine to work with but ofcourse you can always experiment
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Some common ones would be D, A, Bm, G; G, A, Bm, Bm; or G, A, F#m, D and C#m7b5 (in the same measure)
Em,D,A ?
you could also add sus chords in to spice things up
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Look at the structure of the chords:

Bm: BDF#
Gmaj: GBD
DmajF#A
Amaj:AC#E

Those notes correspond to the B minor scale. Make the triads up for the full Bm scale and make chords.

Raise the 6th and 7th of the scale to make even more chords (melodic minor) or keep the b6 and raise the 7th to make chords (harmonic minor)

The possibilites are endless.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by SinisterShadows
So I wrote a chord progression that goes:
Bm, G, D, A.
I like the sound of the progression, but I can't find other chords to make a different progression off of it. Anybody have any ideas?

I'd be happy to give you a boost...but please allow me to share the following.

I would strongly recommend that you try and lean music theory and diatonic harmony, then you could use any number of chords and know what you are doing when you are using them. Its much better than having to come in and ask something, because you're lost and don't understand music or what youre doing or how it works.

Let's say that you did learn and understand music theory and thus have the ability to open and understand more options. Here are a few doors that we can now open. I'll walk you through them for now, but imagine if you were able to do this, what might you be able to do musically that you cannot do right now?

(Ok step inside with me to see what it's like to understand music theory)

I see the Bm, G, D and A...I see this as a 2 possibilities key wise. It could be either Bm or D, it depends upon where the progression resolves. I'm going to say it resolves on D because I know the A functions as the V chord, and resolves back to I

So, I also know now what's going on in this song... harmonically. I have a vi IV I V in the key of D, most likely.

If not then it's in Bm, and as such the same chords of D Major apply and work within Bm. Resolution is the key here.

Because of this, I can start plugging in and trying out other chords in the key of D, from a diatonic sense...

This gives me a couple of chord ideas. I can do Em7 F#mi7 just for starters.

That's well and good, but I also know parallel minor keys, so I can play even more with this, using modal interchange ideas.

Using this idea I decide to make Bm G D A and back to G - a Deceptive cadence. Then from the IV, I use Modal interchange, and make Gm, now back to the A, but instead of just A I'm going to try that Em7 I discovered earlier...and from there go to A, but instead of A I decide to use a suspended Dominant to voice lead to the A for a little color.

This is just a start of what I might want to try....It may or may not sound like what I'm looking but at least I know that I can try it, and if they do work, I still know where I am at all times, in the big picture.

Let's say I wrote a melody from that using everything from D Major, but as soon as I hit that G minor I sustained a nice "outside" note, the Bb...I know it will work perfectly and bring out the color of that outside chord. Why? Because I know theory, and how it all works int he big picture. Not only that but IM the one creating my big picture, not the other way around. I

Theory doesn't tell me I HAVE to, it just tells me I COULD and if I make a certain musical choice, why it works.

It makes sense doesn't it, that you'd want to know and understand and have that kind of control over what you have to say musically?

Take a look at DiminishedFifth's profile if you get the chance, and listen to his music, and as you do, realize that his understanding of the big picture of music (theory) is what allowed him to be able to do that. He in turn, was able to create the musical world that said what it was that he wanted to say.

I hope a glimpse into these possibilities, inspires you to think about the big picture of what you want to do musically. In the meantime try these ideas and see what they bring.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Mar 27, 2011,
^ idd music theory renegade :P
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
+1 to everything sean said, except i would call it a i VI III VII which is pretty common in rock music.