I normally play GHS Boomers. Now I'm looking for strings that have a similar tone, but ones that last longer. I've considered the coated boomers, or Elixrs. I want a string with a really bright tone, and one that will hold that tone for a while.

Any advice on what strings to get would be great.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Elixers hold tone 3-5 times longer, and they don't get dirty. I have had Elixers on one of my guitars for over a year, and the strings are not 1 bit dirty.
Elixers feel quite slippery, so if that's your thing...
I'd personally use D'Addario EXLs instead, but you'd have to be lucky and find someplace that sells them.
No experience with coated boomers, but the regular boomers aren't that great in my opinion.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Nickel memphis rockers are on my les paul....I also use ernie ball slinkys....but the elixers do last forever.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings for me. I play in standard and in drop D and they are great. Right tension bends are easy. They last around 2 months if you keep your hands clean and wipe down the strings when you are done playing.
Ernie Ball Regular Slinky is my vote: 10,13,17,26,36,46
Nice heavy sound, but you can still bend the high notes 1 or 1 1/2 steps no problem.
I like Elixers, they're ok. My favorites are Blue Steel. I don't care for Ernie Ball because they sound a bit muddy to me on my guitars. I've used just about every string there is. I just put some Dunlops on an Agile over the weekend. They sound pretty nice. I don't like new strings so I really don't give them a listen for a couple weeks at least to let the schmootz dig in and wear the strings out a little. There are only a few manufacturers of strings though no matter whos label is on the package.
The longest-lasting strings I ever used were elixers and they sounded nice as well. Right now I'm using DR color coated strings, which I bought two packs of, red and black, and alternated the colors, which looks pretty sweet on my red and black Jay Turser electric if I may say so myself. The sound is fine also.

Downside: The coat starts coming off pretty quickly and the e string broke just more than a month later so I'm on my second set. I'll probably go back to elixers or sample a different brand after this set is done.
Elixers are overpriced crap. If you like sustain and harmonics...don't buy them.

Edit..that goes for any coated electric string.
Last edited by Tempoe at Mar 28, 2011,
Ernie Ball has my vote. I currently use 9's on my Tele but switching to 10's next time I change strings and I use 11's on my LP. They last longer for me than any other string I have tried and I love the way they sound.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
You can make any string last longer if you take the time to wipe it down and clean it afterwards. A good way to do that is to get one of those plastic steel wool type things, where it has the really loose threads, and cut it into strips. You can then wrap a strip around a string and slide it up and down after playing, and it cleans it pretty well.

Also the Dean Markley Helix strings are supposed to last pretty long. They're not coated, but they're supposed to be wound extra tight, so dirt and grime can't get into them very well.

http://www.deanmarkley.com/Strings/Electric/HelixHDNPSEl.shtml
Last edited by verbalrelease at Mar 28, 2011,
Quote by samhell
I like Elixers, they're ok. My favorites are Blue Steel. I don't care for Ernie Ball because they sound a bit muddy to me on my guitars. I've used just about every string there is. I just put some Dunlops on an Agile over the weekend. They sound pretty nice. I don't like new strings so I really don't give them a listen for a couple weeks at least to let the schmootz dig in and wear the strings out a little. There are only a few manufacturers of strings though no matter whos label is on the package.

Seconded.
Hmm I think I'll try some of them cryogenic blue steel strings y'all be talkin bout.
IMO

Daddario strings are top dog, i use the 11-49 set and they break balls in D standard and drop c.
they are fairly bright sounding and great for resitance to corrosion.
Erny ball seem to snap to easily on me and rotosound corrode quickly.

Note; im playing on an ibanez with locking trem and abuse the strings hard which may explain why i cant get on with erny balls, if you have a fixed bridge you might like em.