Hi, I'm currently a junior and next year I'm thinking of taking AP Music Theory. This is the only theory class at our school so there's no non-ap version. I played trombone for about 5 years then quit and took up guitar and have been playing for about 4 years.

I only know how to read bass clef and the scales I learned on trombone I have already forgotten. I think the class could be really interesting but I don't know if I am prepared for it or not due to my barely knowing basic theory. So people that have taken the class, am I prepared or not?

Thanks.
Last edited by avafreak252 at Mar 27, 2011,
Well, if you are going to school and are very interested in learning some music theory; then why would you not want to take it? May just want to try learning some theory, check out some columns like "the crusade" it covers some wide aspects of theory. But what ever you choose good luck man!
"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
review everything here
http://www.musictheory.net/
there are basic lessons that covered pretty much what I covered in music theory this year
there are exercises that you could do to memorize the staff and scales
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Those classes assume you don't have any knowledge of theory. Don't worry about the basics - they're taken care of. The test is the hardest AP, though I haven't taken it yet myself, but don't expect to come out with any college credit - there's an organization that pays people $100 to pass it around here, and they don't pay very often.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
the class isn't that difficult---the exam is somewhat difficult, though not that hard if you are competently taught and practice and study. don't expect college credit though (except maybe an elective credit, which is unfortunate because electives are awesome)---especially if your majoring in music.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Thanks for all the responses guys! I'm definitely signing up for the class then, I'm excited because I have wanted to learn theory for quite some while now. I'll probably review and get ahead during the summer with that site metallicuh posted, I've looked around and it's really helpful. Anyways thanks again.
Quote by tehREALcaptain
the class isn't that difficult---the exam is somewhat difficult, though not that hard if you are competently taught and practice and study. don't expect college credit though (except maybe an elective credit, which is unfortunate because electives are awesome)---especially if your majoring in music.

This.

I took it and got a 5 on the test. I kept hearing about how the test was extremely hard, but it really wasn't all THAT bad. You only need to get about 60% correct to get a 5. Obviously, the hardest part would be the aural part.

As stated above, just take it if you have the drive to learn. They'll cover everything from intervals to secondary dominants to more complex counterpoint writing if you have a competent teacher.

My class was actually taught from musictheory.net more than anything else, so definitely go there.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Mar 27, 2011,