I got my Dual Rec about a month ago and I can't for the life of me get a tone that sounds good. I'm looking for a good alternative/heavier tone that will be able to deliver on breakdowns and riffs. My guitar is an Ibanez RG 770 prestige reissue and I'm running the head through a Marshall 1960 cabinet.

Any tips or tricks are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Rectifier EQ's work differently than most amps. Most Recto guys use the third channel on the modern setting for rhythm stuff. Start with your bass, mid, treble knobs at 12:00 and your presence at 9:00 and just kinda tweak it slightly from there and see what you can get. Right now on my triple recto I have my presence at 11:00 my bass is at 10:30, mid is at 11:30, treble is at 1:30 and I'm always changing the gain setting.
http://www.myspace.com/takethekey

PRS Singlecut w/ Tremonti Treble/Bass
Taylor 614ce

Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Mills Acoustics Afterburner 412B

"Mark Tremonti is what Willis was talking about..."
If it's a 3 channel, you pretty much have to use a boost, otherwise the tone is meh.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
check out my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSborNTfjDM

this was done after having the amp for about 6 months, it will take a while for you to get used to the way that the Mesa has to be EQ'd. try these settings and see how they work, the key point is using the Vintage Mode not the Modern i find.

is this a 2 or 3 channel recto btw??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Yea basically just mess with the eq and the key isnt vintage mode at all lol.
And like stated its a 3 ch. so it has a less desirable tone than an older recto try an od out too.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by XLONGARMSX
Yeah.

v30s would help but id try an od first due to it being a cheaper fix lol.

I personally think stock rectos sound isnt the greatest its good but minor mods can make them great!
I used to use an od with my mesa rov then my tech whos a mesa freak suggested he mod the amp so had it modded and I now use my od strictly for certain solos.
Its really one of the best sounding amps ive ever played.
If you know any mesa techs modding its an option too, I paid about $150 to have it modded and that included the efx loop mod so it wasnt very expensive but hes my freind too lol.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Mar 27, 2011,
I use a TS9 an it made my vintage mode go from ACDC to 80s thrash metal.
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by XLONGARMSX
Ok, I'll have to look into the whole modding thing. What Od do you suggest?

Most importantly, try to replace the G12T-75s with Vintage 30s. G12T-75 is a scooped speaker with a harsh top end... good with certain amps, not so good with others. Personally, I don't like the G12T with Rectos... it emphasises the Rectos already naturally scooped sound and exaggerates the top end fizz.

Second, I'd look at installing a Tung-Sol preamp tube in the V1 position of your Recto. Mesa uses JJs now as their stock preamp tube, which are alright, albeit a little dull sounding. The Tung-Sol is a brighter tube and should help wake your Recto up... makes it a little more aggressive in the midrange.

Lastly, consider using an overdrive to boost the front end. I'm not a big fan of it myself, but lots of people swear by the boosted Recto sound and it's become almost as famous as the unboosted sound. Any Tubescreamer type pedal will work... Maxon OD808, Ibanez TS-9 or TS-7, and the DigiTech Bad Monkey being popular options.
Quote by dNWaKE
I use a TS9 an it made my vintage mode go from ACDC to 80s thrash metal.

My vintage mode does Dream Theater constantly, sometimes im surprised that its called 'vintage' lol

admittedly Modern is deffo for the modern metal stuff but everything else Vintage mode is better IMO.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by some_dude_2
Most importantly, try to replace the G12T-75s with Vintage 30s. G12T-75 is a scooped speaker with a harsh top end... good with certain amps, not so good with others. Personally, I don't like the G12T with Rectos... it emphasises the Rectos already naturally scooped sound and exaggerates the top end fizz.

Second, I'd look at installing a Tung-Sol preamp tube in the V1 position of your Recto. Mesa uses JJs now as their stock preamp tube, which are alright, albeit a little dull sounding. The Tung-Sol is a brighter tube and should help wake your Recto up... makes it a little more aggressive in the midrange.

Lastly, consider using an overdrive to boost the front end. I'm not a big fan of it myself, but lots of people swear by the boosted Recto sound and it's become almost as famous as the unboosted sound. Any Tubescreamer type pedal will work... Maxon OD808, Ibanez TS-9 or TS-7, and the DigiTech Bad Monkey being popular options.

Wut?
Recto's dont sound scooped to me they sound extremely middy with a fizzy, nasally high end. Scooped would be Powerball I.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Wut?
Recto's dont sound scooped to me they sound extremely middy with a fizzy, nasally high end. Scooped would be Powerball I.

Go listen to some more amps...
So really dumb question, but what exactly will a OD pedal like the TS9 help with as far as my tone is concerned.
tighten up the low end
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by XLONGARMSX
So really dumb question, but what exactly will a OD pedal like the TS9 help with as far as my tone is concerned.

it tightens the bass, which is found it easy too look at as if it was cutting bass, but not the bass frequencies. it just gets rid of a bunch of flop. ive heard a lot of dudes needing an od pedal with their dual recs cause the the wide bass. basically, gain=0 output and tone wherever you want on the pedal, and tight bass is present
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Alright, I think I'll probably be getting the TS9. My friend told me I should go with the TS808 reissue. Is the 808 that much better that it's worth paying 80 more dollars?
Quote by XLONGARMSX
Alright, I think I'll probably be getting the TS9. My friend told me I should go with the TS808 reissue. Is the 808 that much better that it's worth paying 80 more dollars?

Na you pay an 80 bucks extra to have two resistors changed in the pedal wich you can do by yourself if your a tad handy
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
IMO the Maxon OD808 is the best OD to get a killer modern metal tone. I've played the TS9 and Bad Monkey OD and the Maxon was just plain better.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by DroptuneD
IMO the Maxon OD808 is the best OD to get a killer modern metal tone. I've played the TS9 and Bad Monkey OD and the Maxon was just plain better.

Its also plain pricier.

TS, you can also try using a parametric EQ.
Most of the flub on a recto comes from around the 63Hz frequency. Cut that back, you get a lot of thick bassiness without the boomy flubby blubberiness.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Its also plain pricier.

TS, you can also try using a parametric EQ.
Most of the flub on a recto comes from around the 63Hz frequency. Cut that back, you get a lot of thick bassiness without the boomy flubby blubberiness.

this

probably cheaper than a boost pedal too
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Alright while we're on the subject of tube screamers, is the TS9DX preferred over the standard TS9?