I'm not sure if this is in the right place. If it's not please let me know and I'll move it.

So I have a question about microphones. Lately I've been doing some recording. I do this as a hobby rather than a profession. So far I've been using a Rock Band Mic to record with. Yes please kill me for this, but to be honest with you it's not that bad, but it has some severe limitations. Today I pulled out my Valveking 212 and set up the mic - So far I've only used my envoy 110 and it sounds pretty good through the mic. The valveking has a very full bassy sound. When I record with the Rock Band Mic I lose all that low end that makes it sound great. All I get is fuzz, the mids, and a lot of highs. I get very little to no low end.

I'm looking to get a mic and I've heard the Shure SM-57 is a great Mic to Go with. My question here is will it pick up all or most of the frequencies coming from the amp giving me the full sound I"m looking for?

Additionally how sensitive is the Mic? Will it listen to just what it's pointed at or will it pickup background noise as well? While I record with the Rock Band Mic it picks up me strumming no matter how loud the amp is.

Thanks for your help.
I'm no expert, but the SM57 is really pretty much the standard for mic-ing an amp. It'll be perfect for what you need. As for background noise, it'll pick up what it's pointed at.

From the Shure website -
"The SM57 has an extremely effective cardioid pickup pattern that isolates the main sound source while minimizing background noise. In the studio, it is excellent for recording drums, guitar, and woodwinds."

Good luck!
Quote by cjmabry

From the Shure website -
"The SM57 has an extremely effective cardioid pickup pattern that isolates the main sound source while minimizing background noise. In the studio, it is excellent for recording drums, guitar, and woodwinds."

websites ALWAYS over hype their products. a 57 would probably be the last mic i'd choose for woodwinds... but overall i agree with them/you.

TS do you have an interface? you'll need one with any real mic. if you do, the 57 is not a bad choice. it's not real bassy so it should do right about what you need it to do on that amp. i personally like to pair it with another mic that gets a little better low end as i find the 57 alone a little thin and boring, but if you want to lose some of the low out of the amp, it should do the trick.

if you're running your amp with any kind of real volume you wont have to worry about background noise. the mic's gain will be low enough that you wont be able to hear it over the amp.
Another "Should I buy the SM57?" thread.

Heres basically what you need to know. Yes, the SM57 is a good mic, its also got a learning curve. Sure, every major studio uses one but thats because they all know how to use one the right way and have the proper post FX to use on it.

First off, a shitty amp like a Valveking isn't going to sound good mic'd period. To put it as blunt as possible: garbage in, garbage out. Second, how you mic it will determine how it sounds. Its not as simple as "throw mic in front of amp, get sexy guitar sound". Finally, a lot of the sound is going to come down to how you post process it. What EQ, Compression, Reverb, Modulation, Ect. you add after recording will make or break your recording.

Honestly, start with something like a Pod Studio GX. It will cost you the same as a SM57 and you'll probably get better results for recording.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp