Anyone use or heard of hackberry Northren hackberry as a tone wood. Got a couple nice big slabs of it today?
according to west penn hardwoods, hackberry is described as "straight grained, moderately hard, strong in bending, but weak in compression. It also has high shock resistance, but lacks stiffness, with excellent glueing properties."

sounds like good guitar wood to me. have any pics of your boards?
Guitars made of hackberry have been made for some time, not in mass production, but it works as a BODY wood. Don't think it would be good to make a neck of it.

http://www.apolloguitars.ca/images/mc006.jpg

And i recco they look pretty good c:
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
according to west penn hardwoods, hackberry is described as "straight grained, moderately hard, strong in bending, but weak in compression. It also has high shock resistance, but lacks stiffness, with excellent glueing properties."

sounds like good guitar wood to me. have any pics of your boards?

Fender use some in the 70's and there is some awsome customs out there it looks alot like ash but takes a finnish much better. I have a chunk in the oven right now 14-3/4x 22 x 2-1/2. Only picks I have so far is the milling of it. Cant get it to up load
Attachments:
milling resize.jpg
Last edited by smokinjay at Mar 27, 2011,
Here is a block in my fancy ss kiln....lol Rough sawn so its hard to see the grain. Looks just like ash though. All knots and edges are coated with wax and the kiln is dead nuts on 170 pop it open Monday after coffee.
Attachments:
guitar body resize.jpg
Last edited by smokinjay at Mar 27, 2011,
I've seen a couple of build threads where Hackberry was used for the body and neck. However, it was for a short-scale guitar, so the neck's proportions probably made it a bit more rigid. Maybe it depends on the individual piece you get. Don't use it for a neck if it seems too flexible.
Quote by sashki
I've seen a couple of build threads where Hackberry was used for the body and neck. However, it was for a short-scale guitar, so the neck's proportions probably made it a bit more rigid. Maybe it depends on the individual piece you get. Don't use it for a neck if it seems too flexible.

Yea wasnt thinking of using it for necks.