So I was just about to buy a new Ibanez SR605; I was quite literally about to go to the store and get it. But my friend saw a used Warwick Corvette Standard 5 string for 850 OBO on craigslist and I thought oh its expensive but I can em down.

I know Warwick is supposed to be a good brand but, I have never used one. What is it comparable to in terms of the neck size? I have smaller hands and I was thinking the neck could be too much for me but, I have played a Schecter studio 5 string a good bit and their necks are also considered large so is it anything like the Warwick.

The Warwick is considerably more expensive than the Ibanez so I can only assume it is better is this a safe assumption.

Lastly, I play in Drop A so I use the 5th string a lot with chugging riffs and I was wondering how that might affect my sound with the growl tone of a Warwick. I.E. would it be too muddy even with good EQ.
Apples and oranges.

Warwicks have generally bigger necks - though, they're quite comfortable. It depends on the age. Recently they changed the shape of the corvette necks to my knowledge. Either way, it won't be as slim as an Ibanez.

They're both going to have different qualities. It would be wrong to suggest that one is objectively better than the other, especially based on the price. In my experience Warwick have a tendency to put dreamer price-tags on their gear (not to say it's bad, I just think it can be a tad overpriced) where-as Ibanez are generally great for the money.

They're just going to be different. I can't imagine either would handle drop tuning particularly better than the other, so it really comes down to preference.
By the way I don't know if it matters but its a 2006 version of the Corvette Standard.

And would the heavier woods of the Warwick make it any more heavy sounding?

Which bass has the better pickups?

Also what is the deal with the adjustable nut on the Warwick? Is it useful?
^the adjustable nut and the pickups are the only things I prefer on the Warwicks.

If it's a 2006 model, the neck is going to be huge.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
If it's the one I'm thinking of, I've never felt anything else like it, they make Schecters feel thin. I can't play them at all.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Mar 27, 2011,
I just asked the guy who's selling it and he said its an ovangkol neck with a wenge fretboard so if any knows if that is awesome let me know.
Practically ALL Warwicks have exotic wood, so yes, that is awesome. (I think those are the standard woods they use as well). ^
pinga
Quote by Zephyr-Chills
I just asked the guy who's selling it and he said its an ovangkol neck with a wenge fretboard so if any knows if that is awesome let me know.

That's standard for most Warwicks, you've gotta find out if the body if Bubinga or Ash, $850 for an Ash Corvette is ridiculous and even if it's Bubinga it's a little high. Hell, I bought my Bubinga Std 'Vette for $550.
But I'd take my Warwick over an Ibanez any day of the week, the 'Wicks just got this defined growl that you can''t get from anywhere else.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
So I pretty much agreed upon 700 for the Corvette Standard and a case with the owner's kit etc.
I had ample time to look over it and the test the thing and even have a local music store look at it for me. Zero scratches or wear. Its made in Germany and looks ridiculously brand new.

So I just want to know if you guys think 700 is a good price.
If it's in that great of condition and all that then I'd say yes, definetly. But in the end it's worth as much as you think it's worth. If you like it and think $700 is worth it then you've made the right choice.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
If the ibanez is standard for a bass neck, a 06 Wick is a tree-trunk. effing huge. But still comfortable in a strange way. Really rounded and great for string skipping/sweeping. I learned how to sweep on my 06 Corvette double buck and I then moved to a 97 Thumb. I now have a thinner neck, but I miss the beefy neck a bit.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
i'm going to assume that you play metal because of the way you describe your playing and drop A tuning. If this is the case, I would go for the Ibanez. They're pretty much the standard for most metal bands and the thin neck will make faster playing MUCH easier. Personally, Warwicks aren't really my thing and neither are Ibanezes but every ibanez bass I have played has sounded great and for the price you can't beat it. You could ask the guy whos selling the Warwick to try it first but if ur situation is what I stated above, I would get the Ibanez.
Quote by paranoid joker
If price is no issue Warwick. If price is an issue, Ibanez. The warwick is substantially better, but it also costs way more. You get what u pay for

That whole "get what you pay for" doesnt really apply to Ibanez, you get a LOT more than what you pay for.

Also, Warwicks can be used for metal too. I think Ryan Martinie would like to have a word with you

As for the decision, they're two completely different basses. It all comes down to on what you would think is going to be more confortable to play in the long run.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid

Also, Warwicks can be used for metal too. I think Ryan Martinie would like to have a word with you

Jeroen Thesseling would be next in line then ^^
The metric system, bro, the metric system.
Quote by TheIrishPatriot
Have sex to Colors. Warning: You may never feel as epic ever again.
I have to say now that I bought the bass, cleaned, and set it up. I am glad I made the decision I made it looks brand new.

I also feel obligated to say that the neck being larger than usual is not that big of a deal in fact I have somewhat small hands and I find it easy to play. That was my main concern/misconception when going in to test it out. I just don't see what the big deal is with the neck size people say the same thing with Schecters, and once again I don't see what they are talking about.
Pics or a NBD thread!
RE: The necks, I've got a 75RI Fender Jazz and a Bubinga Corvette. The neck on the Jazz is almost paper thin, at least a quarter thinner than my MIM Fretless, and the neck on my 'Vette is chunky as all hell and I love both and use them for different situations.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Congrats nonetheless!
Now pics or gtfo.
Btw, great choice IMO.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band