Page 1 of 2
So I have been using the traditional plastic guitar picks for the last 8 years and I have been looking for new and different types of picks out there to create a different sound. I am wondering if anyone knows of any cool types of guitar picks that can create a softer sound while strumming that I can play when my kids are sleeping or when my wife is watching her shows and doesn't want me to interrupt. I appreciate any and all help and suggestions.
inb4 subjectivism

OT: There are some Dunlop jazz style picks, can't remember what they're called, but they're about 2mm thick, and they're made of a softish material, so they take out a lot of high end. Quite nice for quiet playing.
And fingers.
Last edited by Baby Joel at Mar 27, 2011,
Answering the thread title, this one:

“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Jazz IIIs

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

sir, you're looking for the pick of destiny. it doesn't really exist in the conscious world, so just smoke weed and play with an ordinary pick.
Thin gauge Dunlop Nylons are what I would suggest. You'd still have to strum softly regardless of the pick though.

Also, this thread should be in the Guitar Gear and Accessories area.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
check out V-picks, they are expensive but well worth it the thickness ranges from .75mm to 11.85mm
Quote by Cyngus
check out V-picks, they are expensive but well worth it the thickness ranges from .75mm to 11.85mm

Isn't that over a centimeter thick?
Jazz III's..

But for some weird, different ones, you can get some made of stone
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Yes, they have some very thick picks.
Although I use my V-pick for more dynamic and 'loud' playing, not necessarily for quiet strumming.
I never understood why people use Tortex when all the do is dull your tone big time. Best choice for quiet strumming or playing is a Jazz III, they are very quiet picks and aren't that loud (they are kind of bright sounding though).

Red bears are the best picks IMO. Amazing quality and organic sounding, overtones jump out like nothing.
Fingers are good for the blues and would enable you for some quiet playing while giving you some cool tones. Not sure about finger picking if you're into metal however.
Jazz IIIs but the tortex version,
They have a much fuller sound but are waaayy cheaper than V picks
Dunlop 1.5mm is my favourite.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Quote by cisco444
I never understood why people use Tortex when all the do is dull your tone big time. Best choice for quiet strumming or playing is a Jazz III, they are very quiet picks and aren't that loud (they are kind of bright sounding though).

Red bears are the best picks IMO. Amazing quality and organic sounding, overtones jump out like nothing.

I love the tone Tortex picks give me plus they're actually comfortable to play unlike Jazz III's which are way too small.
I use green tortex picks that have been shaved to a fine teardrop shape. It takes a while to get the desired size using a pair of scissors, but I really like the attack.
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
Can we stop the jokes and be serious for a minute?

(Invalid img)

EDIT: FS.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last edited by JamieB at Mar 27, 2011,
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it. I am definitely interested in the felt picks. I did come across a pick on a different forum that I'd never heard of, it's called fuzzy pick. I was google searching premier recording guitar picks and that popped up. I think I'll try that and the Tortex kind and see what works best.
Quote by laid-to-waste
sir, you're looking for the pick of destiny. it doesn't really exist in the conscious world, so just smoke weed and play with an ordinary pick.

I was going to come in here to say it but you beat me to it!!!! >=[]
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
I use the Dunlop Tortex picks. Green for electric, orange for acoustic. I love them and they last pretty long compared to someothers i've used.
Yellow ones
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by Miniskirt
I would also agree with fingers. I think the only thing a pick is necessary for is a heavy "chugging" sound. You can even sweep with your fingers if you want.

I disagree, I prefer to play with a very bright sound to my playing, which is very hard to get with your fingers. Opinions, eh?

My favorite pick at the moment is my Joe Satriani planet waves medium pick. I've been using my steel JS pick and 2mm dunlop pick for so long I forgot how much I love the 'snap' of a good medium pick.
Quote by SlayingDragons
I disagree, I prefer to play with a very bright sound to my playing, which is very hard to get with your fingers. Opinions, eh?

My favorite pick at the moment is my Joe Satriani planet waves medium pick. I've been using my steel JS pick and 2mm dunlop pick for so long I forgot how much I love the 'snap' of a good medium pick.

I'm just saying the POSSIBILITY of being able to play anything with your fingers that you can with a pick. I don't SOLELY use fingers, but definitely worth trying.
STEEL PICKS, FOOL

All day everyday. They certainly aren't quieter than plastic picks but god damn, are they awesome for everything else.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
I really like my Dunlop Tortex 1mms. I also enjoy Dunlop's slightly softer .96mms.
Pittsburgh Penguins: 46-22-6
As long as they're thicker than .70mm and aren't celluloid, I love em. It depends on what I'm playing, but celluloid tend to disintegrate when I play metal. They're alright for rock and blues stuff though.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Page 1 of 2