Page 1 of 2
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/mar/27/academic-study-big-society

In a nutshell: To keep any government funding, all arts and humanities research in the UK must now study "big society".

What the **** "big society" even is (apart from a government buzzword) is beyond me, but now apparently the near 100 year old Haldane principle that protects academic freedom in research has been "clarified" so now in fact big society is the highest priority of all research.

I lack words to express how ridiculous this is. Dear lord.

Thoughts?
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Mar 27, 2011,
Study the big society?

How much can one study a vision for the country based on the shaky principle that, in times of economic hardship, people will do stuff for nothing?
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Surely the more they study the big society, the more flaws they will find in it?
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
Panicked at the title.

Quote by MadClownDisease
In a nutshell: To keep any government funding, all arts and humanities research in the UK must now study "big society".

Oh, the humanities! Care levels kinda dropped roundabout here.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
It's retarded, they are cutting funding and telling the people who are going there to waste the money they are spending on ridiculous tuition fees to praise the government in effect.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Pfft well as long as it doesn't affect my squeezed middle or irritate my alarm clock nation I dont care. So glad I finished school

Cant be worse than general studies though

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Is the big society like "General studies" at A level? You know; that subject that doesn't really matter and never gets used?

And doesn't the big society revolve around people helping other people for free and caring for others? You know, that thing most people in first world countries are piss poor at?
Quote by Crofty89
Panicked at the title.

Oh, the humanities! Care levels kinda dropped roundabout here.

Haha the day they start forcing physics to study tory policy is the day I give up entirely...

But on a more serious note, this would include politics, economics, psychology, sociology... A massive range of things which genuinely do affect you.

EDIT: ALSO Yes, I know I misspelled the thread title...
I am currently studying Britain from 1945 to 1990 in history.

Turns out the "Big Society" hates pretty much everything the government does. And every time the "British Society" tries to change something, the government gets kinda pissy.

How they will show that in a good light is beyond me.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Bloody hell. This is Tory propaganda for school kids. Business and schooling should always be kept as far apart as possible; this is an attempt to blackmail teachers into more funding cuts, I think.
Quote by MadClownDisease
Haha the day they start forcing physics to study tory policy is the day I give up entirely...

But on a more serious note, this would include politics, economics, psychology, sociology... A massive range of things which genuinely do affect you.

Actually psychology wouldn't be included, psychology falls under sciences rather than arts and humanities. And while it would be understandable for a department of politics, economics or sociology to study Government bull, how are they going to justify cutting the funding to a department of music, classical studies or theology that doesn't study this big society?
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Quote by Steel8909
No one cares about Arts and Humanities.

Stupid people, perhaps.
TS, the late 1800's called... they reckon it'll all pan out for the best...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by Crofty89
Actually psychology wouldn't be included, psychology falls under sciences rather than arts and humanities. And while it would be understandable for a department of politics, economics or sociology to study Government bull, how are they going to justify cutting the funding to a department of music, classical studies or theology that doesn't study this big society?

>tories
>justify
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
all the scientists of the world should get together and form their own state. after that they should start their own space program and in 25 years we could have another planet colonised and we could leave the creationists and bureaucrats behind
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
You're all missing the point that TS's only source for this is a tabloid news source that's not exactly known for its impartiality, in fact most of the article is wrapped up in "It is claimed [...]"
LtBrenton

Quote by Douglas Adams
The art of flying lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Quote by soulflyV

If I didn't have a mudkip in there, I'd sig that.

http://ltbrenton.wordpress.com My blog. Check it out.

☠ ☠ ☠
I probably should, and I know this makes me a dick, but I actually don't care at the moment. I'd be upset if they started eating into the sciences and engineering, but other than that...

I think too many people go to university anyways, I don't think it's fair on people at all.
I'm a student nurse.

This was one of our lectures.

Lecturer got laughed out.

Good times.
"Levelled up. Still no solos."
[img]http://sc2sig.com/s/eu/1405270-1.png[/img]
Quote by Crofty89

Depending on the university psychology can fit in either humanities or science departments. Many offer students the choice to study for a MA or BSC so yeah it would be affected largely
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
What a load of Bull.

Even though I don't particularly support research into Art or English, I detest the notion that the govt can stick their noses in and tell people what to study.

I suspect all the decent lecturers and researchers in those fields affected will leave the country and head for a something more sensible.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Last edited by Joeval at Mar 27, 2011,
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Stupid people, perhaps.

don't shit talk art, it's one of the high points of human existence.
ridiculous. absolutely ridiculous.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
One massive positive I see in this is that the research unanimously finds that it's bullshit.

EDIT: ^ Hmmmm.
Last edited by TEK34 at Mar 28, 2011,
So it was a load of bullshit? Phew.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by I.O.T.M
So it was a load of bullshit? Phew.

I'd assume there's still elements of truth in it (Guardian/Observer's usually very good at this sort of thing), but the Guardian/Observer being a lefty paper massively overblew it.
Page 1 of 2