I acquired a V.J. Rendano P-Bass copy for free at an old garage sale. The previous owner had NO information about it...

Well yesterday I broke the G string, but I think I should replace all of the strings, as they are quite old...

How can I find out the string gauge of this bass?

I would like to keep the same gauge of strings on, but I have no clue on how to find out what that gauge is...

Thanks,
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
experience and comparison are the only real things that are going to tell you what the gauge is.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Quote by gilly_90
experience and comparison are the only real things that are going to tell you what the gauge is.

Sad but true!!!

OP, if you don't feel like just guessing or trying out diffrent ones then deciding on the one you like most then sticking with them "which is what most people do".

You can use a Micrometer or a pair of calipers... but in all honesty it would probably be easier just to pick a set of strings and run with it.

There are quite a few threads on here about strings, I would check into those and talk to other bassists to see what type "Flat, Round, Semi-round, Tape" and style "Mellow, bright, ect.." of string you want. Then pick a guage accordingly.
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Take it to a luthier. Since the previous owner didn't knew squat about it and the string are old, probably hasn't been set-up in a while. If you have it set-up, you'll notice worlds of difference.