Hey there, guys. This is a song I wrote some time back. It's got some Protest the Hero influences in there along with a nice helping of Opeth about 2/3 of the way through.

It's in my profile; just click the link below. Tell me what you think and I'll C4C, as always.

Link:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Geldin/music/all/play974236
That sounded alot like Dream theater especially at 0:57 , I really like that part
I could defintitely hear the prog influence
The guitars sound a bit muddy although and the kick is too quiet

Also if you used the ux2 you should look into getting the metal shop pack, I think it has the tones you're looking for
I got the UX2 a couple of weeks ago, so I'm still playing with it. The drums were just a MIDI sampling of the drums I programmed in tuxguitar, so that may well be the problem right there.

Anything you want me to crit?
The guitar is really muddy, and sounded kind of like there was no cab/cab simulation or something? A bit fizzy like you ran it straight into the DI. The drums aren't that great, kick was too quiet. The song itself is pretty awesome though, you really packed a lot of stuff in there without boring me, the drums get a bit repetitive though. You have some pretty nice leads and stuff going on, and I liked the harmonies and everything, it doesn't sound really over the top like some progsongs do, where the song completely looses shape all in the name of being proggy, but your song remains solid. Definitely some nice pieces in there, like for example the keys at about 3:00. The song itself might just need a lit more polishing to give it just that extra push, and your production needs a really big polishing, but you were probably aware of that.

Overall it's a interesting piece to listen too, just work on your production. If you want I don't mind running your drums through Drumkit from hell and some samples I have if you sent me the midi.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Thanks for the feedback on my song! I don't really like the intro but at around 25 seconds it starts to sound a lot better. Like pinguinpanic said, your production could use some work, but the playing is solid. There are some good ideas but there are also some really generic riffs like at 2:45. But overall it has the potential to be a good song.
I really liked the guitar arrangements, the guitar tone is a bit muddy that is true and in some parts you can't hear what's going on with the playing.

You need to bring up the drums in the mix and of course better sound, try Ad drums or Ez drumkit from hell and then bring the drums to the front, that would make the track really full of power and energy, it's really good stuff man!! you got it there! just these changes and its ready to go!

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1417066
Actually, as I recall, I reviewed that back on "On Wings of a Dream". Unless there's been some change since a month or so ago, my comments stand.
Quote by Geldin
Hey there, guys. This is a song I wrote some time back. It's got some Protest the Hero influences in there along with a nice helping of Opeth about 2/3 of the way through.

It's in my profile; just click the link below. Tell me what you think and I'll C4C, as always.

Link:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Geldin/music/all/play974236

the guitars are extremely muddy, and strachy. around 1:00 to switched to double tracking, the whole song should be double tracked. the single track intro is killing itm maybe just give it a slight pan one way or the other? Also turn the gain down, that's prolly where some of your scratchyness is coming from.

Around 1:22, it sounds like your double tracking is out of time with each other. you get a back and forth sound through the headphones. i'm not sure if that was intentional, but it didn't tickle my fancy.

the biggest crit i have so far is the tone, it's really taking away from the song. The synth part at 3:10 is nice. Although a bit long, seems like an outro. The guitars that kick in towards the end, don't jive with that like i want them to. The leads are good but the rythm's in the background aren't needed, and just muddy the sound up.

It seems like you wanted to harmonize a scale run at the end, sounded like 3rds? it was a little out of time, those have to be perfect to sound good.

good song tho, a better tone, and a little less rythym is certain parts, and it's gold.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I think these guys are pretty much right. Just work on the tone and the drums. I can sympathize with the drum issue though, I have a similar problem with midi based drumming
Geldin,
Thanks for the review! I agree the guitars sound quite muddy. If you could get by with less distortion somehow, I think that would improve things. A lot of the drum patterns seem kind of random, though some are good. I do think the (doing it more) double-track guitar idea should improve things, you need less distortion when you do that. I like these keyboard parts (nice sounds & melody) at around 3:10, until the the end (the best part of the song in my opinion)! My favorite real guitar part was the end lead guitar, which I think had the best tone & playing. The earlier guitar playing was sometimes tight, sometimes not so much. I do like some of the guitar melodies.