hey guys. ive been determined to get the Vypyr 60 combo for a long time. but i went to a show last night and the bands guitarist were using the Line 6 valve half stacks and the tone blew me away. im going to be gigging, playing originals and some covers that go everywhere from Breaking Benjamin to Escape The Fate to Chevelle, All Time Low,A Day To Remember...mostly hard rock with some hardcore, pop punk and metalcore influences threw in. im willing to go used. One reason im tempted to go with the vypyr is i love how the effects are laid out and how easy they are to tweak. ive only used the effects on a spider II and i wasnt a fan. which would get a better tone? im yet to find a good clip of a vypyr with the metal tone i would be looking for. Any comments are appreciated! btw, i would be going for the combo versions.
It's a close one. I've heard one of the line 6 valve heads during a metalcore gig and it sounded unreal. Suppose you'll just have to try them both.

Oh and I hope no one wants to start a line 6 bandwagon off in this thread as this isn't the solid state spider amp.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser Fr
Peavey 6505+ 112
Last edited by mikey_360 at Mar 29, 2011,
Quote by mikey_360
Oh and I hope no one wants to start a line 6 bandwagon off in this thread as this isn't the solid state spider amp.

If they know what they're talking about they won't. This is actually a decent amp, although there's better out there for the price IMO.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Honestly and this just may be me, but I don't like either of them very much. As far as the Vyper goes, I've never been a fan of on amp effects.

I loved running my effects through the pod when I had it, and now I love my ME-70 for its onboard processing. And for the Spyder, still too many solid state components for it to be a true valve amp. Its more like a hybrid, kind of like the vyper series.

For your style and if you really like Peavey, I would suggest the 6505 head or combo. It's a great high-gain all tube amp that fits the type of music you mention. Or a good clone is the Bugera 6262. Its cheaper than the Peavey but in this case cheaper isn't worse, just different. Good luck on finding you amp of choice.
definitely the spider valve.

im a massive fan of the 112 and 212 versions for a bedroom practice amp and for band practice

i havent played the head version of it yet but the combo's start to lose clarity at high volume so that might be something to consider for gigging...
yeah, the combos losing clarity would be a problem for me..i would go for a halfstack but i dont have the room in my car to haul a 4x12 cab... maybe a head and a 2x12 cab? and as far as the effects i use on the amp, i mostly use chorus, delay, reverb, sometimes flange. i would be buying a few pedals like eq, noise gate, wah, etc.
I have owned 2 Vypyr 60'S both had issues with the wah coming on automatically and a couple of times it went off. But as far as tone I like the vypyr way better than the spider. The options are superior in every way. The amp was loud enough to do small gigs with. But in the end got rid of it because of reliability issues. Too bad it wasn't reliable because that modeling amp rocked! Ended up with a peavey classic 30 and love it, I have a small extension cabinet I use with it. The only thing the classic 30 you have to be aware of on the drive channel is the pickups you are using in your guitar.
yeah, ive had some issues with my 75w, mostly the amp shutting off while using the wah, sometimes when i swap presets, and the looper has quit. anyone have any comments on the durability for the line 6 amp?
When I was looking for a new amp, I tried both of those amps out. I preferred the Line 6, mostly for three reasons:

1) I like the footswitch better (this totally opinion). I really dislike the Sanpera footswitches; it's not that they're bad, I just dislike the feeling of pressing the little round buttons. The big switches on the Line 6 shortboards feel more like stompboxes.

2) This is the big one. Line 6 does constant updates, and (at least when I was looking) there was a pretty active community of users sharing custom tones. To me, it felt like I would get more life out the Spider Valve than the Vypyr.

3) The Spiders use Celestion V30 speakers in their cabs. As far as I could find out, Peavey uses some kind of in house one.

For full disclosure, I actually ended up getting an old Flextone Plus (one of Line 6's first modelling amps), so my experiences with both amps were in a Guitar Center for about 30 minutes each; I've never owned either one.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
One of our better local bands uses the Line 6 Spider valve MKI heads, and they get them sounding AWESOME. However, one of them is having HUGE feedback issues with his head (swap heads, no problems)...might be a tube issue.
The MKII (current version) seems to have a better FX loop.
Dialed in right, these thing ARE killer!
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
if you guarantee that a spider valve is better than a vypyr tube, show me. And i will sell my vypyr tube if i agree.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by mikey_360
It's a close one. I've heard one of the valve heads during a metalcore gig and it sounded unreal. Suppose you'll just have to try them both.

That's like saying a Fender 65 Twin is rubbish because a Fender Frontman practice amp is rubbish

Solid state spiders aren't crap because they're solid state they're crap because they sound horrible.

A solid state Preavy Vypyr actually sounds good and really good for the money.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Mar 28, 2011,
so...general opinion seems to be for the Spider Valve. yeah, all the demos i have seen of the vypyr just dont have the tight oomph ive heard from the spider. the still have that "modelling amp sound". btw, these are some examples of tones i would be using/needing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIn4IIhJvoA -clean and distorted tone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPgfapFr3-s heavy distortion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiaoV93zdlk clean and distorted

you get the general idea lol
Quote by shecter guy
so...general opinion seems to be for the Spider Valve. yeah, all the demos i have seen of the vypyr just dont have the tight oomph ive heard from the spider. the still have that "modelling amp sound".

Personally I have heard the exact opposite. The Spider Valve sounds very digital to me compared to the Vypyr Tube. The Vypyr also has better modeled high gain amps, IMO.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by mikey_360
It's a close one. I've heard one of the valve heads during a metalcore gig and it sounded unreal. Suppose you'll just have to try them both.

Yep, I went to a local show on Saturday night.. Dude was using a Valve head.. Sounded great. (It was a lame hardcore/whatever show, but I know the guys). And the lead guitarist was using a Spider III 15..

And of course the rhythm guy had an Ibanez GIO, while the lead player had a PRS SE Mikael.. They should've switched their gear around.
to offworld, this is just based off of videos and demos i have watched. u plan to go play the spider vlave in the next week or two as the local shops here stock them
Hey guys, I have played both amps, and have owned the peavey vypyr tube head. I don't really think it is an argument of which one is better. I think they are both different and do two similar things different and great. I only recommend the tube versions of these amps, because all the ss versions sound like shit and are a waste of money. You can get both the amps pretty cheap used, but depending on which one you get if it be combo or tube version you may have to do some upgrading to get the full potential out of it. I honestly had a Krank cabinet match with my vypyr tube head.......straight brutal!!! Anyways if you buy the vypyr combo I recommend replaces the speakers, with something like a vintage 30 or any other premium speaker of your choice. Also if you get either line 6 or peavey combo I recommend rebuilding the cabinets with premium plywood of your choice like marine birch, pine, maple, etc. and get new tubes from somewhere online that like jj's. I think that place still exist and if that was the name of it. It has been awhile. Also On the peavey the amps from the mid section over to the right I thought they were worthless and sounded shitty, but from the diesel to the peavey xxx sounded good going towards the left. I thought the effects were shitty, but did ok. I feel like the line 6 does better on stuff like blues, and clean, but I feel like the distortion is more digital and compressed with tube coloring. Which I find they both distortion sounds good on both amps they are both brutal, but different. Honestly I feel like you should own both and have the full experience. They are both affordable used. I am purchasing the line 6 mkii combo soon. I feel like if will meet my needs better and it comes with the vintage 30 so it is ready to go.

I been playing guitar for about 9 years or so and been recording just as long. I have played in a few metalcore bands and played some shows. I also don't really play metal any more and more into softer stuff now. I am a tone junky and feel like you should not skimp on your gear, get the best shit it is the only way you will be happy and you will save money because you will constantly keep buying better shit just skip the shit step and get good stuff.

Also a lot of people complain of feedback and shit well I recommend getting some rack and rack effects one being a feedback destroyer or something similar and a tuner. If you hit guitarcenters used section you can get those super cheap. I got my korg rack tuner, and a behringer feedback destroyer rack unit for 150. That is a steel and if you can't afford something google that shit and make it. Like you can make your own rack or cabinets.
we have a no necro-bumping policy. the thread is several years old. the people are long gone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/