I wanna recreate an 8 string tuning tuned down 1 step (Low E) but my strings are to thin. What is the thickest string possible that can go through the bottom 'low B' slot?
Hey, I use ernie ball strings so I will tell you, the 8 string is normally 74 on an ernie ball 8 string slinky. Power Slinky is the biggest gauge in 7 strings, and the strings are 11, 14, 18p, 28, 38, 48, 58.
Ayy there
Don't do it man, you get addicted to the broots and then eventually you get tired of it.
I'm not talking about the biggest gauge SERIES in 7 string, i just mean in general. I think for a while I was using a .65 bass string, but that was a while ago. So yeah wither i am using a bass string or a single string from an 8 string series, I just mean (In general gauge) what is the thickest string that can fit in the low B slot of a 7 string.
Order Ernie Ball singles from Musician's Friend, I believe they go up to 70 or 72, by twos...
It's all based on how wide you're willing to cut the nut, and whether you can/want to modify the machineheads to make room. Other than that, it depends largely on your specific instrument/model. Hypothetically, though, you could use just about any reasonably sized string and make it work.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
most guitar tuning heads will only fit up to a 65. some won't even take a 65.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Freak, I did something along these lines about six months ago. I down tuned my RG 7321 a full step with the lowest string yet another step. The lowest string gauge is something like a .64. I had to have my nut cut (hahaha no pun intended) in order to accommodate the lowest string. Consequently I cannot go back up to standard because A) that thick gauge would have to be really tight to reach a standard tuning and will break and B) if I go to a thinner gauge it will move around inside the nut slot.

Also, I am not sure it is possible to do that. Would the saddles on your bridge accommodate that? I am unsure but perhaps someone on this forum can tell you if that is possible.

As KYmonster said you will get sick of it. I can tell you that from personal experience and I didn't even go as low as you. If you want the tuning of an eight string down one step then get an eight string and do so. It's like the guy at the shop said to me "You can't turn this dog into a pony."

Get an eight string man. Sounds like the direction you'll have to go.
That depends on your bridge, your nut, and your tuning pegs. I've put a .090 on my 8-string down to B, an octave down. It fits in the saddle, it fits on the nut, and it's tapered so it fits through the peg. Just the intonation was a tad off.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by AcousticMirror
most guitar tuning heads will only fit up to a 65. some won't even take a 65.

I have a 64 on my 7, and it just BARELY fit. I'll agree that a 65 would be the maximum before you have to start drilling into the machine head.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I have a 64 on my 7, and it just BARELY fit. I'll agree that a 65 would be the maximum before you have to start drilling into the machine head.
Alternatively, just grab some pliers and unwind the string down to the core. Plus I think it looks good to have just the core wound around the tuners on all strings.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I mean I run a .85 on my baritone but ya there's definitely some shit you gotta do.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer