Page 1 of 4
I graduated college in December with a bachelors in Business Management. I have been busting my ass off trying to find a job with my degree and nothing. There is not even 2 months left in my grace period and I have nothing. The only job I have is the same part time retail job I had while going to college, which I get SHIT hours and SHIT pay. How in the mother ****ing hell am I supposed to survive in this world with this bullshit of a ****ing country? I work my ass off to get a degree and for what? I can't even find a crappy full time job such as a full time retail, administrative, etc to make SOME money for god sakes. My parents don't understand how horrible it is and I don't know what I'm going to do.........Mental breakdown.......Any recent grads from the US having the same problem?
Blaming your country and its current economic position for your inability to find a job is probably part of your problem.
Nice rant, you inspired me to stop going back to college and pay off the little I got from loans.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Quote by boreamor
Degrees are worthless since most people have them now. Most students don't get that businesses want experience, not degrees.

There are so many things wrong with this post I don't even know where to begin.

EDIT: ^ thank you.
Sells durgs.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
The job market is pretty shit atm. Most people are lucky if they find a job in their field today. But tbh it's always been like that, it's currently just made worse by the economy. You graduate with a Bachelors and no one is going to be asking you to work for them, they get dozens of resumes from people just like you every day. The only people who get real jobs and careers right out of University are like PhDs and stuff.
bachelors in Business Management

I think I found the problem. Business is more than just schoolwork. You need some SERIOUS connections, and a ton of networking to get by in business. A degree helps, but not nearly as much in say a hard science or math field like engineering, chemistry, or architecture.
Go back to school and get your Master's. Seriously, the safest place to be right now is in school.
My name is Matt. Love me.
im halfway through my 3 year degree course and already know it will be like that when i finish, ive heard people for years talking about people with good degrees working part time in places like McDonalds, i know a few myself.
I guess what im trying to say is too many people look at university as a golden ticket, but its just not
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
Im a 3rd year, and already have lined up an engineering job for when i graduate, however this is what the ceo of the company told me when i talked to him.

Degrees dont mean a whole lot anymore, there are plenty of people with them, if you are found without a job, you should be spending it as though you ARE fully employed, ie working 8 hours a day IN SEARCH of a job.

he also said the way they can determine who REALLY wants the job vs who is just looking for a job (this is an engineering firm let me remind you) is if it specifically says on the resume that the person is willing to work two weeks without pay to prove themselves that they are dedicated to the company and position.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by iamtim1991
I think I found the problem. Business is more than just schoolwork. You need some SERIOUS connections, and a ton of networking to get by in business. A degree helps, but not nearly as much in say a hard science or math field like engineering, chemistry, or architecture.

This. Kind of goes with all education though. A piece of paper is useless unless you have a plan and the connections to implement it. It would also help to have had some sort of experience in the field, or a job that would have supported you going to school.
Quote by boreamor
Degrees are worthless since most people have them now. Most students don't get that businesses want experience, not degrees.

and how do you get experience if no one will hire you because you lack experience?
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by Seref
The job market is pretty shit atm. Most people are lucky if they find a job in their field today. But tbh it's always been like that, it's currently just made worse by the economy. You graduate with a Bachelors and no one is going to be asking you to work for them, they get dozens of resumes from people just like you every day. The only people who get real jobs and careers right out of University are like PhDs and stuff.

Not necessarily , because if you have a PHD, then you might be overqualified for the job. There are some exceptions as always but it depends a lot on the degree, your previous experience, etc.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
My roommate just graduated and got offered a job right away.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by JimmyBanks6
he also said the way they can determine who REALLY wants the job vs who is just looking for a job (this is an engineering firm let me remind you) is if it specifically says on the resume that the person is willing to work two weeks without pay to prove themselves that they are dedicated to the company and position.

That is a complete bullshit way of thinking for the following reasons:

1. That train of thought assumes that job applicants are looking for a job at your company just for the sake of working at your company and thus are not applying to any other companies next to yours.

2. It assumes that the person has such a low understanding of his/her value that he/she is willing to work for free

3. It assumes that even people who are actually willing to work for 2 weeks for free don't put that on every single resume to every single company they apply to.

4. It assumes that the right way of choosing employees is to look for the cheapest people available first and look at education, experience and personal impressions second.
Quote by CoreysMonster
That is a complete bullshit way of thinking for the following reasons:

1. That train of thought assumes that job applicants are looking for a job at your company just for the sake of working at your company and thus are not applying to any other companies next to yours.

2. It assumes that the person has such a low understanding of his/her value that he/she is agreeing to work for free

3. It assumes that even people who are actually willing to work for 2 weeks for free don't put that on every single resume to every single company they apply to.

4. It assumes that the right way of choosing employees is to look for the cheapest people available first and look at education, experience and personal impressions second.

say its complete bullshit or not, i dont care

he owns the company and has been extremely successful. he told me that is quite a standard way that engineering firms work for recent graduates.

i also know for a fact that aviation works that way regularly, young pilots will work for free in a heartbeat to increase their flight hours.

whether you think its bullshit or not for those reasons, suck it up because thats how it works with plenty of employers for new grads.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
This is why I always urge people to view college as the START of their careers, not a prelude to it. People who are set or are gonna be fine after college are the ones who "work their asses off" to build relevant professional experiences while they're still in school, even on top of a demanding academic schedule. They realize that it's not good enough to refer to that piece of paper that says you're qualified. Employers hire them because they already have tangible material to SHOW that they're qualified while in college. Working in that same old retail job for 2 years while you were in school wasn't good enough. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. It's not entirely too late though. Get a better attitude and because you only recently graduated, I believe you still have some resources in your college, so take advantage of them to really start making a difference.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 27, 2011,
All good reactions but I mean this is bullshit. I don't expect to get a job just cuz I have a degree but I mean this is utterly ridiculous. I have a great resume, a college degree, I had a job through high school and a different job through college (most people in my area are lazy and just go to college, party, no job). It was estimated when I first went to college that by the time I graduated, most of the older workers would be retired/retiring and I, along with my entire graduating class, would have little problem finding a job. Somebody with a Business Management degree should have no problem finding a job whether its pays $30k or $50k. It's such a broad degree (HR, management, accounting, etc) and every company needs plenty of employees/positions such as that. I'm just getting really pissed and really nervous
Quote by JimmyBanks6
say its complete bullshit or not, i dont care

he owns the company and has been extremely successful. he told me that is quite a standard way that engineering firms work for recent graduates.

i also know for a fact that aviation works that way regularly, young pilots will work for free in a heartbeat to increase their flight hours.

whether you think its bullshit or not for those reasons, suck it up because thats how it works with plenty of employers for new grads.

It's bullshit not because I think that it's unfair towards the people looking for a job, but because I'd hate to own a company and have a head of HR think that way because it does nothing other than ensure that the people my company ends up hiring are the ones who a. have no experience and b. are so horrible at what they do they have to resort to offer to work for free to get a job.
Quote by JimmyBanks6

yeah but for young pilots just getting the chance to increase their flight hours helps them, whereas in the CEO's statement, at least from what it is implied, you just work for free without getting anything in return.

Why not Zoidberg?

Alot of that probably has to do with what you majored in and where you went to school
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Do what I did, quit school, get your associates and become a fireman. You spend your time in school learning things your actually going to use. Not waste your time with useless theories, gen ed courses, and overpaying for a diploma that will leave you possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and going to sleep at night without job satisfaction. I wish someone would have explained that to me when I was growing up. All my friends who graduated from college are buried under debt and are working for 35k/yr max. It's a beautiful thing.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Working in that same old retail job for 2 years while you were in school wasn't good enough. I'm sorry, but that's the truth.

I agree with you but really how easy is it to get a job that could help you in your future career while GOING to college? A job like that expects full time hours, which you cannot work while going to college on a full time semester
Quote by anthsband
I agree with you but really how easy is it to get a job that could help you in your future career while GOING to college? A job like that expects full time hours, which you cannot work while going to college on a full time semester

Internships. Fight for them

TS, you got a degree in business management and you're working in a business as a retail associate. Why don't you use your degree to work your way up through the ranks of your current job and then work somewhere else in a few years?
Quote by CoreysMonster
It's bullshit not because I think that it's unfair towards the people looking for a job, but because I'd hate to own a company and have a head of HR think that way because it does nothing other than ensure that the people my company ends up hiring are the ones who a. have no experience and b. are so horrible at what they do they have to resort to offer to work for free to get a job.

Quote by Ostinattos
yeah but for young pilots just getting the chance to increase their flight hours helps them, whereas in the CEO's statement, at least from what it is implied, you just work for free without getting anything in return.

Nah this is where you guys are wrong, while it doesnt seem to the employee that they are getting anythign in return, they really are.

Engineers coming out of school, have no idea what the real world is like, school is just a shotgun of hundreds of theories you MAY need.

Engineering employers are looking for devotion, when you come out of school, the engineering firm is LOSING money on you. You are an investment, and need to be trained over years before you are a full blown engineer.

He was saying it takes about 5 years of work for a firm to have complete confidence
in a new engineer, and even then you will almost always have somebody looking over your shoulder and double checking your work.

Engineering firms look for devotion as they lose money on you at first, and a good way at putting yourself above others is if you are willing to work 2 weeks no pay, and hell , thats not much to ask imo.

and the thing here is that its not a debate. this is how many firms operate, whether you like it or not.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by anthsband

Are there any internships or something available? With those you get some sort of the work experience most jobs require.

Why not Zoidberg?

Quote by fearofthemark
and how do you get experience if no one will hire you because you lack experience?

Ahh, gotta love catch-22s.
Your best bet is to get a job at entry-level that is similar to the one you're looking for, then get some experience there, and then, when you're applying to the job you want, write in your resume (or at an interview) about how the skills you learned there will help you in your new position.
Quote by Lots O' FX
There's a guy named, I shit you not, Hunter Goldhammer. I have never met him, I only heard his name over the PA, but I assume he's a dwarf paladin.

Quote by skwelcher
I'm like the real life version of the socially awkward penguin.
Quote by metaldud536
Internships. Fight for them

TS, you got a degree in business management and you're working in a business as a retail associate. Why don't you use your degree to work your way up through the ranks of your current job and then work somewhere else in a few years?

because that would require actual effort and going beyond what was taught in business school.

I'm sorry, but having worked in fields like animation and graphic design, where degrees actually are completely worthless and people hire you based on personality and actual capabilities alone, I find it hard to take people who come out of university with zero experience who expect to be handed high-tier jobs just because they have a piece of paper seriously.
Hopefully I'll do well enough (commerce/economics) that I'll get recruited by some big firm straight outta uni.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by JimmyBanks6
Nah this is where you guys are wrong, while it doesnt seem to the employee that they are getting anythign in return, they really are.

Engineers coming out of school, have no idea what the real world is like, school is just a shotgun of hundreds of theories you MAY need.

Engineering employers are looking for devotion, when you come out of school, the engineering firm is LOSING money on you. You are an investment, and need to be trained over years before you are a full blown engineer.

He was saying it takes about 5 years of work for a firm to have complete confidence
in a new engineer, and even then you will almost always have somebody looking over your shoulder and double checking your work.

Engineering firms look for devotion as they lose money on you at first, and a good way at putting yourself above others is if you are willing to work 2 weeks no pay, and hell , thats not much to ask imo.

and the thing here is that its not a debate. this is how many firms operate, whether you like it or not.

that actually makes sense, I never thought about that that way. I retract my previous statement and will think about this more thoroughly in the future.
Quote by anthsband

Professional experiences doesn't exclusively refer to jobs. There are things that you can do even as academic projects that the real industry is interested in. There are also internships, workshops, seminars with industry insiders, and plenty of other opportunities in a decent college that connects you to the real world environment and provide you with the opportunity for important people to pay attention to you.

A person who thinks their degree title is a golden ticket will passively do the minimum in an internship. They complete their internship credit and that's end of it.

A person who thinks ahead will actively do more than required and build solid relationships in the internship and prove that he's dedicated and a valuable asset, and that internship may very well turn into a job right after, or at least the executives will be keeping an eye on him until graduation.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by CoreysMonster
I find it hard to take people who come out of university with zero experience who expect to be handed high-tier jobs just because they have a piece of paper seriously.

As do I, this is coming from someone who only has a summer job in a factory (although it got moved up to an engineering internship for this coming summer). I wouldn't be surprised if my double major in Industrial Engineering Technology and Industrial Distribution left me jobless (dosen't help with my very average GPA). Even though my school has a very high placement rating in these 2 majors.
Last edited by FireHawk at Mar 27, 2011,
Quote by CoreysMonster
because that would require actual effort and going beyond what was taught in business school.

I'm sorry, but having worked in fields like animation and graphic design, where degrees actually are completely worthless and people hire you based on personality and actual capabilities alone, I find it hard to take people who come out of university with zero experience who expect to be handed high-tier jobs just because they have a piece of paper seriously.

I'm sorry and you are? I never once said I expect a high paying job. I do however expect to get something in return for going to college for 4-5 years (went 75% through accounting and switched to management....going to go back to finish accounting soon) and collecting an enormous amount of debt. I don't expect to get hired at some $80k a year job. I do however expect it to be able to find some kind of $35-50k regular entry level job, not at the difficulty that I am having.

You act like I'm some piece of shit person who thinks they're better than anybody else. I apply to jobs ALL THE TIME. I use tons of resources including my college's job database, websites such as careerbuilder, staffing agencies, and have even used personal connections. The real world today is just ridiculous nowadays, plain and simple.
Quote by CoreysMonster
that actually makes sense, I never thought about that that way. I retract my previous statement and will think about this more thoroughly in the future.

Yeah it seemed a little weird to me at first to me as well until he explained the reasoning

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Page 1 of 4