How come it seems like the lower i tune, no matter what strings i use, the crappier tone i get. like i can tune to drop c with skinny top heavy bottoms and it sounds great. but if i tune to like drop b or a with heavier strings it sounds like garbage,
Pickups and amp.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
most guitars arent meant to be played that low, the resonance of the wood of the guitar, the pickups, etc. etc. are not really ideal for tunings that low. if you want to drop that far down, get a baritone guitar, or a 7 string.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
Most likely your amp
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
can you describe how tone is when you tune that low? cause i know for me, i need completly different amp settings for me when i dorp tune that low. i usually cut a little bass and up the mids.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by headfest88
most guitars arent meant to be played that low, the resonance of the wood of the guitar, the pickups, etc. etc. are not really ideal for tunings that low. if you want to drop that far down, get a baritone guitar, or a 7 string.

There's no difference in the wood used on a 7, it will have the same stuff that gets used for 6's with the same specs. And there are plenty of pickups designed for low tunings, but most guitars will sound fine for low tunings, regardless of whether the pickups are designed for it or not, as long as the pickups in it are decent.
Quote by littlephil
There's no difference in the wood used on a 7, it will have the same stuff that gets used for 6's with the same specs. And there are plenty of pickups designed for low tunings, but most guitars will sound fine for low tunings, regardless of whether the pickups are designed for it or not, as long as the pickups in it are decent.

yup
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
the tone just gets super muddy, like in drop a if i play a c power chord it sounds ok, but anything below just sucks
Quote by KYmonster
the tone just gets super muddy, like in drop a if i play a c power chord it sounds ok, but anything below just sucks

what amp and guitar are you dealin with? could help us alot
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
pretty good guitar, its an ibanez but could use different pickups, and a line 6 spider 15 (i know...i was 15 at the time)...
Well, thats probably the source of your problems. The Spider isn't particularly great, and can get pretty muddy. Try turning the gain down a bit, and also the bass.
Ibanez stock pickups are also known for being pretty muddy.
Quote by KYmonster
pretty good guitar, its an ibanez but could use different pickups, and a line 6 spider 15 (i know...i was 15 at the time)...

Hey!! What's wrong with the Line 6 Spider? I kinda love that thing.
Quote by littlephil
Well, thats probably the source of your problems. The Spider isn't particularly great, and can get pretty muddy. Try turning the gain down a bit, and also the bass.

yea i had that same problem with that amp when i used to have it. that little 8 inch speaker just cant handle the bass frequincies. sorry man, thats ur prob
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
i suggested a 7 string simply for the fact that it has the extra string so you can already play songs in lower tunings. i wasnt saying the wood in a 7 string is different. and not knowing what kind of pickups he has, thats a very valid thing to consider, there are many pickups that wont sound good in drop tunings.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
New amp, then Pickups. Also you may want to try some DR Drop Down Tuning Strings, Strings come down to personal taste, but they sound and Intonate beautifully Just a thought.
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
It's probably just the size of the strings you're using. You could use a longer scale length for more tension with thinner strings if you're really intent on tuning low? I use very light strings as I can't stand the bassy chunk of thick-as strings.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by littlephil

+1.

I have an Ibanez S540 in Drop B. I put in Dimarzio D-Activators and now it's great for that tuning. I noticed that it's nice to have a coiled G string as well for low tunings.