Hi all, I plan on recording an EP with my band soon. We will be using a studio to record drums and probably vocals, but guitars I plan on doing with my stuff in my room. I have a pretty good recording setup (good enough, I think) and I could record the guitars into Cubase with a click track, and then take them to the studio for a proper mix after recording the drums.

Anyway, the point of this thread is I need to get as good a tone as possible. Think Machine Head's The Blackening.

Link for anyone who hasn't heard it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc2HH-nGpvc

Here is a link of the tone I am getting on my setup right now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwNvtUJkQ0Q

I have tried a few things, including the MSDI on the amp which didn't sound great, micing the amp with an SM57, and I have found the best sound so far is plugging the FX loop into my Presonus Audiobox and using the direct sound of the amp, and applying an amp simulator to it onboard Cubase.

The gear I am using is a Peavey 6505+ Combo and a Schecter Hellraiser. My pedals, which are not being used in the above link, are a Boss NS-2 and GE-7.

If anyone has any feedback for me please let me know. Thanks.
Last edited by Random3 at Mar 27, 2011,
Pro Tip: Record guitar AFTER tracking the drums. Trust me, its better that way.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Get some serious EQ into the equation. The way your amp sounds coming through a speaker is very different from when it's run into a computer (which I'm sure you've found out). An EQ will let you boost/cut certain frequencies either you like or don't like. I sat down one day, looped a guitar track over and over again, and went through a 31-band VST EQ for about an hour, getting it exactly the way I wanted. My shitty basic tone turned into a fire-breathing monster. Saved it as a preset and now I just slap it on all my recordings.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Thanks, that will be a serious help

I mean, I usually use an onboard EQ both on the amp simulator and on Cubase but I have never spent any real amount of time tweeking it. I usually do a bass cut and a slight high boost.

So what you are suggesting is keep doing what I'm doing (direct in, no mic) but use EQ to get the sound I want yeah?
More or less. Personally I always prefer miking the cab, as I have yet to find a good-sounding tone from going direct in. That, and my home amp doesn't have a line out
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Last edited by swordsofplague at Mar 28, 2011,
had to make sure my outboard EQ was off because it adds lots of low end. your guitars just aren't bright enough.

the overall tone is pretty fair, but it needs more of everything but lows.
a different impulse with a more bright mic'ing spot might help.

and someone above was talking about using post-EQ above to get a good sound.
EQ'ing can help.

but you shouldn't rely on post-EQ to get a good sound. using a filter to get some hiss out or something is a different story.
but you should be able to get a satisfying tone from the source.
Quote by lockwolf
Pro Tip: Record guitar AFTER tracking the drums. Trust me, its better that way.

Pro Tip: Listen to Lockwolf.
..I was watching my death.
You will always use less gain for recording than you will live.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
ive seen questions asked about recording guitars at home and drums/vocals in the studio before, and then got to thinking about how i would do it. i would start by booking 2 studio sessions. first one would be to just get the drums down, or maybe bass as well. then take a raw version of the drum tracks, and go home.

record your guitars at home, and make sure you get a DI track for each take as well. save those in an uncompressed format, and take it back to your second recording session.

have the engineers re-amp your DI signal, and record that. you get the benefit of their knowlege and gear, but you were able to record at home. then record vocals and whatever else is left.

may not be the way that suits you best, but it makes sense to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h82Pz-TbZU

Here's a recording I just did today, I concentrated harder on the tone and using the EQ both on the amp and on Cubase. I also tried to make it sound 'brighter'.

Feedback anyone?
Last edited by Random3 at Mar 29, 2011,
sounds much better to me.

the chords come out good but like at 2:02 it still sounds a little fuzzy.

question, do you have an OD pedal and/ or are you using it?

what are you using for impulses?
Quote by TechnicolorType
sounds much better to me.

the chords come out good but like at 2:02 it still sounds a little fuzzy.

question, do you have an OD pedal and/ or are you using it?

what are you using for impulses?

I have a Digitech Bad Monkey OD which I used on my Valveking but it really adds nothing to the 6505.

The impulses I am using are on this thread, I got some advice from the guy and he recommended them. The name is Catharsis-Awesometime-Fredman, no idea if that is the name of the impulses or whatever.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1384800
by nothing do you mean the gain or what? an OD should always be able to add a little bit of kick to an amp. which is what it sounded like your tone could use.

those impulses are by Ryan (Catharsis Studios) and are great.

but there's a ton more you might want to try out.
www.guitarampmodeling.com has a bunch to download.
there's probably some good ones on the Andy Sneap board as well.

are you blending them together?
in that link, it shows Lepou Cabinet. Well get Lepou Cabinet 2 instead if you don't have it.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Mar 29, 2011,
The Gain control, on average, shouldn't be much higher than noon. You'd be surprised how little gain you really need.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
whatever you think you'd like.

if you like the sound of your amp head through a marshall cabinet then get a marshall impulse, etc.
Quote by Random3
Yeah I just use the gain on the amp.

I'll have a look at those other impulses, thanks.

EDIT: Wow, there are a lot there. Any recommendations that can narrow down my search?

Try to find Catharsis impulses, I really like the "Spres-high"

Edit: Oh, you found it already. Well yeah, I like the "spres-high".
Had a play around, here is a short clip I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLmTzo1_Xg0

The drums are EZDrummer Drumkit From Hell, and the bass is Cubase VST.

For the guitars I plugged my FX send from my amp into my interface and recorded directly. The amp settings were:

Post gain: 4
High: 6
Mids: 6
Lows: 4
Pre gain: 4
Presence: 6
Resonance: 5

I used the Redwirez Marshall impulses, using a (simulated) Marshall 1960A cab and a Shure SM57 0 inches from the amp. Didn't bother with the TS808 because it didn't seem to add anything to the tone, in fact made it sound worse but maybe I had it set up wrong.

I did a low pass filter of 5db at 200hz, and a high pass filter of 6db at 14000hz.

Any feedback? Remember I am trying to get a nice metal tone for use in an EP (hopefully!)