Hi all,

Well I've got my basic theory down, but I haven't learned the Pentatonic scale. I've seen soooo many people complain about how boring all of Kirk's solos are because he uses it. It seems to me like its a scale purely for improving solos am I right? I'm not looking to solo, and if I was I know major/minor scales, so should I even bother? Am I missing something?

Thanks.
Well, it's a widely-held belief by me that Angus Young plays a pentatonic scale and nothing else, so that might give you an idea...
I felt like it was one of those "you should learn everything anyways so why ask us if you should learn something or not" type questions, but I posted anyway :P *feels like a newb*

Oh well the damage is already done...

And about Kirk- its not that I'm adverse to the opinions of the masses, I just wanted to know if it is true that the Penatonic lacks "color" when compared to say, playing the 5th key over a rhythm?... Perhaps I should just learn it and find out for myself... *feels doubly stupid* oi
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
No you shouldn't bother. The pentatonic scale was created just for crazy solos.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
learn it,miight inspire something in your playing,dimebag basically did pentatonics.
The pentatonic is only a minor scale missing a couple notes, or a major scale missing a couple notes, I use it alot only because it is easier. I would say learn your seven modes, but even they are just the same scales played starting on different notes. If you want to get really tricky, these are some wierd scales I have found but not yet figured out how to use. The notes to these scales in C are listed below
Enigmatic
Tonic~half~~~one and a half~~whole~~whole~~whole~half~half
C~~~~Db~~~~~~E~~~~~~~~~F#~~~~G#~~~~A#~~B~~C
Neapolitan
Tonic~half~~whole~~whole~~whole~~whole~~whole~half
C~~~~Db~~~Eb~~~~~F~~~~~G~~~~~A~~~~B~~~~C
Neapolitan minor
Tonic~half~~whole~~whole~~whole~half~~~one and a half~half
C~~~~Db~~~Eb~~~~F~~~~~~G~~~Ab~~~~~B~~~~~~~~C
Hungarian minor
Tonic~~whole~half~~~one and a half~half~half~~~one and a half~half
C~~~~~D~~~~Eb~~~~~~F#~~~~~~G~~~Ab~~~~~~B~~~~~~~C
There are also whole tone and diminished scales, but I don't like those
Enjoy, they're pretty wierd, but fun
Quote by stubs.milligan
. I would say learn your seven modes, but even they are just the same scales played starting on different notes.

Nothing more?
Soundcloud
The pentatonic scale in general is one of the most "safe" sounding scales to cut your teeth on and that's why its hard to sound off with it. Lacking "color" is more a persons inability to create with it, and is subjective. To me if a scale does the job, it does the job. It's small minded people that usually haven't accomplished half of what someone else like KH has done, that has to come along and criticize as if they could do better...

(oh really...well then, make an album and let's see how well you do....in the meantime, yes, I would like fries with that)

It doesn't take wisdom to have an opinion, but I'd have to be an idiot to listen and believe half the things people say, when they themselves know nothing, but how to be arrogant with what little they've yanked from parroting others from some free internet tabs and learning to "widdle".

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Mar 28, 2011,
Its not what you play its how you play it just learn it, youll wind up using it sometime. About Kirk and them, just dont only play penta's man. Still worthwhile knowing especially if you ever want to play blues. i found to make it less boring i just through in some blues notes and completly changed the sound but still learning it at the same time. idk made it fun for me
When I die, want you to dress me in straght laced shoes
A box back coat and a Stetson hat;
Quote by iancmtaylor
I just wanted to know if it is true that the Penatonic lacks "color" when compared to say, playing the 5th key over a rhythm?

Probably, but try both, and maybe add the blues scale in there. Switch between all three in one solo. (man, I've gotta try this) I think if you could manage to get it to sound like you aren't changing anything (to an untrained ear. that is) that you could have one of the cooler solos around. I probably won't get it, my soloing is terrible, but it's theoretically sound, and could be really cool.
Out of curiosity, what does "I've got my basic theory down" mean? I took a basic music theory course and feel like it didn't really cover all the basics well enough for me to start, say, writing legit songs, or playing legit solos.
Quote by iancmtaylor
Hi all,

Well I've got my basic theory down, but I haven't learned the Pentatonic scale. I've seen soooo many people complain about how boring all of Kirk's solos are because he uses it. It seems to me like its a scale purely for improving solos am I right? I'm not looking to solo, and if I was I know major/minor scales, so should I even bother? Am I missing something?

Thanks.

well, if you learn the pentatonic scale your solos will be boring just like Kirks.

But seriously, pentatonic scales are very commonly used. I wouldn't avoid learning them out of fear/vanity. That would be silly.
shred is gaudy music
I don't think I'm going to, a pentatonic played over a major/minor has no dissonance? Then the only why you can create tension is via time signature (which is called 'phrasing' right?) and effects. Whereas playing major/minor over major/minor allows you to use all three- time signatures, dissonance, and effects to create tension.

My point is: am I right in thinking that a syncopated pentatonic over major/minor requires more work than a syncopated major/minor over a major/minor?
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
just because you use a pentatonic scale in places doesn't mean you have to stick with it.
if you kind of know it, or know it as a shape all you can do is wank.
this type of music comes from the true understanding of it (about a million times more exciting then a kirk hammet solo):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itcl4NDg9uY

if your wondering if its good to learn something, the answer is almost always 'yes it is'.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Quote by iancmtaylor

My point is: am I right in thinking that a syncopated pentatonic over major/minor requires more work than a syncopated major/minor over a major/minor?

Eh ?

Pentatonics are used so widely because they are very easy to learn and the 'shapes' particularly for guitarist are very close together, they also are contain very safe notes that listeners feel comfortable when hearing them, they establish a tonality very easily also.

Absolutely learn Pentatonics also don't just think that it applies to the Major / Minor scale. You can create pentatonic scales for Modes and Exotic Scales too. It's a good way of learning & finding ways to use them without wandering around the scale to try and establish the sound.
Quote by stubs.milligan
Nothing more

We have a modes sticky up the top which has a whole heap of useful links to educate you further about modes.

As for those other scales you were trying to figure out above, in the end everything is just a variation of a minor or major scale (when playing in a major or minor key, which is 99.9% of the time). You're just adding accidentals to those scales, so it's best to just experiment over different chord progressions and see which work for you. Some people may like the sound of the hungarian minor, some may want to stick with the standard minor.
Soundcloud
Why even ask if you should learn it? It will take 2 seconds if you already know basic theory. The pentatonic is just a Major or Minor scale without the 2nd and 6th (I think).

But to a large degree I think the pentatonic is a "safe" scale. That's not to say you shouldn't ever use it, but why limit yourself? You could be playing in a Natural Minor scale and playing the notes of the pentatonic and sounding great without limiting yourself to the pentatonic scale. Idk. That's just my take on it.
I hate my sig
hahaha.. in my opinion,, is not gonna sound boring because it depends on the person who uses it.. i think Dimebag and Dave Mustaine are good for pentatonic inspiration.. hahaha..