So a few days ago I go to turn on my mesa rectoverb head and as soon as I took it off standby it flicked itself to channel 1 for about 2 seconds before shutting off.

I figured it was a fuse problem. There was a nasty smell coming out of it and the fuse was black/burnt a bit.

Today I went out and got new fused, threw them in...and the same exact thing happens.

What gives?

P.S.

I recently put in all fresh tubes about a month or two ago. Upon inspecting the tubes they have no issues like black marks or anything like the fuses do.
Last edited by Supafly1824 at Mar 28, 2011,
Fuse blowing is a sign of a more serious problem, the fuse protects the rest of the amp.
Take it to a tech, there's really no way of telling what the issue is.
get a fire extinguisher
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Maybe a tube problem?
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Just tried replacing the tubes. Still the same problem. Shuts off as soon as I take standby off.

Any other ideas on possible fixes? My band hits the recording studio this weekend and I nor my other guitarist has a backup amp I would be able to use this week.
Quote by Supafly1824
Just tried replacing the tubes. Still the same problem. Shuts off as soon as I take standby off.

Any other ideas on possible fixes? My band hits the recording studio this weekend and I nor my other guitarist has a backup amp I would be able to use this week.

That's a mofo, man. My gut is telling me whatever winding on the transformer the channel switching relays are powered from could be shorted. That would explain why the channel immediately switches and then the fuse blows.

But to rule that out, can you switch the channels in standby mode, as in, the LED's switch on the head according to the channels? Whatever is powering those Relays is likely also powering those LED's. If it switches channels (or LED's) in standby mode, I doubt it's a shorted winding there.

Don't by any means take that as gospel, though. I don't have the amp in front of me so it's hard to say.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Mar 28, 2011,
One of the power tubes may have failed, burning out a screen resistor inside the amp and tripping the fuse. It's a common fault in tube amps and the resistor itself is a cheap part to replace... unfortunately an amp techs bench fee usually involves a minimum ($80 where I live), regardless of how simple the job is. Swapping new tubes in won't help since the resistor is already burnt, so the fuse will just keep blowing.

The channel changing is probably the relays inside the amp returning to their normal state after loosing power due to the blown fuse.
Last edited by some_dude_2 at Mar 28, 2011,
Yeah, this needs to go to a tech. You're beyond a fix you can do yourself.

I assume you're checking the HT fuse on the board (I think that's where it is on that amp) and the tubes you're using are known to be good and work in another amp.