Ok UG, ive been researching....a lot and posted mabye 5 or 6 threads regarding specific guitars and stuff relating to this topic. basically in a couple months im going to have some decent dough to splurge on a guitar. probably somewhere around $700-$900 for me. this is a lot of money for me and i reaally want to spend it on a nice guitar considering im really happy with my other gear. so heres the options ive conisdered:

#1- Charvel SoCal in Snow White
#2- Building an explorer type guitar (ide be cutting the body, then getting the neck from warmoth. i plan to build a wood grain finished one with gold hardware and OFR)
#3- Or just searching around for a guitar that has a nice finish and an OFR.

what do you guys think my best option is here. (btw the reason i would be cutting the body for the custom build explorer is cause i want to have some part in its creation :P)
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by carlosyugui
Charvel

can you vouch for it? any experience? (nice amp btw)
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
The Charvel is a very nice guitar. I've played it. I also don't know if you're any good at cutting and routing, because it's a VERY precise art/science and if you **** up, you may have to start over.

And I don't know what this guitar is for. Genre?
Quote by trueamerican
The Charvel is a very nice guitar. I've played it. I also don't know if you're any good at cutting and routing, because it's a VERY precise art/science and if you **** up, you may have to start over.

And I don't know what this guitar is for. Genre?

i could handle the cutting, its no problem. my dad wants to help me out and hes been cutting shit for like 30 years. hes a carpenter kinda dude. as for the genre....i would like to play metal out of it sometimes, but im mostly looking for something to shred on , and get nice cleans out of.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by trueamerican
So more of a neoclassical, bright tone?

not necessarily too bright, but somewhere between warm and bright....leaning a little on the warmer side. something that will work for rhythm if need be
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
i could handle the cutting, its no problem. my dad wants to help me out and hes been cutting shit for like 30 years. hes a carpenter kinda dude. as for the genre....i would like to play metal out of it sometimes, but im mostly looking for something to shred on , and get nice cleans out of.

So, do it as a "Father and Son" project.
Bonding with your father will be good.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Quote by EspTro
not necessarily too bright, but somewhere between warm and bright....leaning a little on the warmer side. something that will work for rhythm if need be

But mahogany would be a little too warm for you, no?

I'd recommend basswood or alder or maybe ash with a maple neck and rosewood/maple fretboard.
Quote by trueamerican
But mahogany would be a little too warm for you, no?

I'd recommend basswood or alder or maybe ash with a maple neck and rosewood/maple fretboard.

well again, i do want to leave a natural wood grain finish, and ive heard basswood can be quite the eye sore
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Just drop a fancy-arse top on it if that's a problem. You'd still be able to see if from the sides/back, but it'd fix the main problem.
Ash often has a pretty nice grain

Here's a pretty sick idea that would help balance warmth with brightness:

-Basswood body
-Cocobolo top (it is a bit expensive though, so if you can't get it, go with walnut, bubinga, or wenge)
-Maple neck
-Maple fretboard

Maybe make either the neck or fingerboard some birdseye or flame maple.

And a great neck would be birdseye/flame maple with wenge/walnut. MMmmmm
Quote by trueamerican
Ash often has a pretty nice grain

Here's a pretty sick idea that would help balance warmth with brightness:

-Basswood body
-Cocobolo top (it is a bit expensive though, so if you can't get it, go with walnut, bubinga, or wenge)
-Maple neck
-Maple fretboard

Maybe make either the neck or fingerboard some birdseye or flame maple.

And a great neck would be birdseye/flame maple with wenge/walnut. MMmmmm

was thinking about the flame maple neck, and bubinga body cause i love that look
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED