when i sweep , i used to mute the other strings with my strumming hand to reduce the noise.

but when it comes on tapping while sweeping, my strumming hand gets busy , so how to mute the strings while tapping ?

is there any youtube video about this topic ?
just put some scarf, wristband or whatever near the nut around the neck to mute the strings.
Yup.
Quote by Legion(Viktis)
just put some scarf, wristband or whatever near the nut around the neck to mute the strings.

this. if im tapping or sweeping high on the neck ill pull the scrunchie (my gf's old ones work fine) up higher on the neck, works pretty well for muting strings.
^that but sometimes you cant stop in the middle of a solo to put the scarf
so i use the fingers im not using to mute the unused strings or use my palm to mute the strings depending on what im tapping
i use my right hand to mute strings when i'm tapping. i don't use my left hand at all.
Quote by TractorMan
i use my right hand to mute strings when i'm tapping. i don't use my left hand at all.

This. Don't use scrunchies/bits of cloth to mute your strings, that's the refuge of poor technique.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Aleksi
This. Don't use scrunchies/bits of cloth to mute your strings, that's the refuge of poor technique.

i kinda agree to this. because , there's no problem with scrunchies but if i have to play riffs plus solo at the same time. i may not get enough time to put scrunchies in between my playing. and i have seen Michael Romeo as well as other players has nothing on their neck to reduce the noise.

let me share a video with you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG2804ggsI0
Quote by TractorMan

TractorMan - please watch my video . is he really muting through his right hand while tapping ? please explain how its so clean ,we can hear all the notes.
Quote by COBHC912
TractorMan - please watch my video . is he really muting through his right hand while tapping ? please explain how its so clean ,we can hear all the notes.

Yes, he's muting with his tapping hand; he uses the patch of skin by his thumb to mute the lower strings, this kind of area:

and for the higher strings he's using both his normal fret hand muting and the other side of his hand, this kind of area:

And his muting is some of the best in the world, I've seen him do that exact track live and it was absolutely flawless, not a note wrong. A little bit faster than the record as well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Yes, he's muting with his tapping hand; he uses the patch of skin by his thumb to mute the lower strings, this kind of area:

and for the higher strings he's using both his normal fret hand muting and the other side of his hand, this kind of area:

And his muting is some of the best in the world, I've seen him do that exact track live and it was absolutely flawless, not a note wrong. A little bit faster than the record as well.

Thanks a lot !! that's what i waned to know how he is muting, which part of the hand etc
Quote by Aleksi

I wouldn't say that. I know plenty of guitarists who can play sweep-tapping or two handed tapping passages perfectly cleanly, but use a scrunchie live, just in case.

Anyway, I'd like to add that Michael Romeo seems to be using plenty of compression. He picks the strings harder on those bends at the end, though the volume isn't very noticeably louder than the tapping/ legato sections. Compression cuts all sounds below a certain level and takes all sounds above that level and makes them more or less equally loud. Provided string noise is below the compressor's lower limit, it won't be heard (though any louder mistakes could be even more obvious).
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Hey
Have you tried "barring" with you left hand index finger? I suppose it depends on what notes you're fretting in order for that to work though. The answer could still lie with your right hand position. I rest the heel and thumb of my right hand actually on the strings so I'm kind of tapping from above if that makes sense?

Anyway, I'd like to add that Michael Romeo seems to be using plenty of compression. He picks the strings harder on those bends at the end, though the volume isn't very noticeably louder than the tapping/ legato sections. Compression cuts all sounds below a certain level and takes all sounds above that level and makes them more or less equally loud. Provided string noise is below the compressor's lower limit, it won't be heard (though any louder mistakes could be even more obvious).

Thanks for the useful point @Compression.
Quote by JimmyAlford
Hey
Have you tried "barring" with you left hand index finger? I suppose it depends on what notes you're fretting in order for that to work though. The answer could still lie with your right hand position. I rest the heel and thumb of my right hand actually on the strings so I'm kind of tapping from above if that makes sense?

yep bro i have understood your point !! thanks
You're welcome dude. I know it's frustrating!! The ol' sock/hairband/scrunchie method obviously works but not very practical...especially live and will not help your technique and make the problem go away.
Good luck with it
Quote by Prophet of Page
I wouldn't say that. I know plenty of guitarists who can play sweep-tapping or two handed tapping passages perfectly cleanly, but use a scrunchie live, just in case.

He does use quite a compressed tone, more so then than now I might add, but still, his playing is cleaner than 99% of the world during any technique at any speed you care to mention
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.