What is the best way to edit the actual sound waves in pro tools? I play metal mostly and i double track everything, two left, and two right. I wanna then tighten everything up as much as possible, especially the triplets. What tools/methods are best for tightening things up in pro tools? Besides the obvious ones like play as clean as you can.. Thanks.
USA Jackson RR1, Carvin Custom 7 String, Peavey 6505+, Krank Krankenstein Cabinet, Carvin Power Conditioner, Line 6 G 90 Wireless, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Full tone OCD Overdrive, ISP Decimator, Boss TU 2 Tuner
We could all explain how to edit an audio track, but the manual has someone who was paid to describe it in plain English. Have you tried the manual? What is in the manual that you don't understand?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Geez, opened up a bit of a minefield here. Everyone has their own habits - just google some tips if you're that desperate, there's plenty of tutorials out there. And as Chris said, I'm sure the manual will explain the basics in clear, concise instructions!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Threads like this make me wish Pro Tools wasn't so easily available. Theres a reason why when you buy the program, you get a quick start manual, an in depth manual, a training DVD and the URL for Avids site with tutorials and shit.

Even then, you're still better off just playing it better. Garbage in, Garbage out
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by TechnicolorType
no need to be meanie heads guys.

Yeah, a little harsh from me but when you get as many resources for training from Avid right out of the box, you should be able to find the answer before asking here (especially since I'm one of a few people here that use PT)
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Yeah seriously it was just a question. I usually prefer the way my peers explain things or someone recording similar styles. But whatever
USA Jackson RR1, Carvin Custom 7 String, Peavey 6505+, Krank Krankenstein Cabinet, Carvin Power Conditioner, Line 6 G 90 Wireless, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Full tone OCD Overdrive, ISP Decimator, Boss TU 2 Tuner
Quote by Kenova
Yeah seriously it was just a question. I usually prefer the way my peers explain things or someone recording similar styles. But whatever

Google is your friend.
Quote by FireHawk
I think he was asking about techniques rather than how to actually do it?

EDIT: I don't use Pro Tools so I can't help you on PT specific stuff...

I can't help on PT specific stuff either, but this is universal -

Slip editing - cut a track, move the wave to make it tighter, move on, cut, move, etc. Like I said, google is your friend
Also don't cut in the middle of a wave.

For example when cutting two vocal track together:
1) Line up both vocal takes so they are in perfect time with each other
2) fine a spot between words where it appears to be no sound.
3) Zoom in really close and cut where there is the least amount of sound (or where there is silence) on both tracks
4) Delete the unneeded part
5) Play back the vocals with nothing else and make sure it flows together perfect
6) Repeat steps 1-5 until you can't tell it was 2 takes.

(this works best assuming you recorded the vocals takes without really changing anything on interface/pre-amp/daw,etc between takes)

EDIT: If you record your bass and guitar through direct input and record the signals dry, playing time, and you are vary careful this can also be done for that to.

Also if you can't hold time very good (besides the fact you aren't ready to be recording if you can't hold time) then none of the stuff I mentioned will work.
Last edited by FireHawk at Mar 29, 2011,
Quote by FireHawk
Also don't cut in the middle of a wave.

For example when cutting two vocal track together:
1) Line up both vocal takes so they are in perfect time with each other
2) fine a spot between words where it appears to be no sound.
3) Zoom in really close and cut where there is the least amount of sound (or where there is silence) on both tracks
4) Delete the unneeded part
5) Play back the vocals with nothing else and make sure it flows together perfect
6) Repeat steps 1-5 until you can't tell it was 2 takes.

(this works best assuming you recorded the vocals takes without really changing anything on interface/pre-amp/daw,etc between takes)

EDIT: If you record your bass and guitar through direct input and record the signals dry, playing time, and you are vary careful this can also be done for that to.

Also if you can't hold time very good (besides the fact you aren't ready to be recording if you can't hold time) then none of the stuff I mentioned will work.

+A million (especially the last point...if that's the case, just practice more with a metronome)

If you don't slip edit on dry tracks then it'll come out all wonky.

Also try different recording methods - Some people like to mute everything but the metronome when recording, some people like just drums, some people play along with scratch guitar tracks. Anything's worth a shot in order to get a better recording, there's always the undo button (which I personally abuse).
Quote by Meelad360
Google is your friend.
Well, not to be asdfhashufas but if google "editing sound waves in pro tools" then the first result is THIS topic. lol.
nonetheless, there are others things throughout the pages but doing a quick search is only going to bring him right back here.

what FireHawk said is your best bet apart from playing as tight as you can.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Mar 29, 2011,
Quote by TechnicolorType
Not to be a total bitch but if you google "editing sound waves in pro tools" then the first result is THIS topic. lol.

nonetheless, there are others things throughout the pages but doing a quick search is only going to bring him right back here.

Being more specific helps. "Editing guitar tracks in pro tools", or even "slip editing" which I mentioned earlier will show him what he wants to see. They may even lead him to another forum that may be more active than here (no offense regulars).
Last edited by Meelad360 at Mar 29, 2011,
Quote by Meelad360
+A million (especially the last point...if that's the case, just practice more with a metronome)

If you don't slip edit on dry tracks then it'll come out all wonky.

Also try different recording methods - Some people like to mute everything but the metronome when recording, some people like just drums, some people play along with scratch guitar tracks. Anything's worth a shot in order to get a better recording, there's always the undo button (which I personally abuse).

Totally true here, try everything...I personally prefer using scratch tracks (when possible) Plus a click and drums. Click has to be super loud though.

and like the other guys have said Slip editing is your friend. its simple and works, its just time consuming until you get the hang of it.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
Totally true here, try everything...I personally prefer using scratch tracks (when possible) Plus a click and drums. Click has to be super loud though.

and like the other guys have said Slip editing is your friend. its simple and works, its just time consuming until you get the hang of it.

Like I said I'm not familiar with pro tools, but in Reaper there's a function where you can group all the tracks (press the "G" key), and with that it's far less time consuming because you can edit all the tracks at once.
Quote by Meelad360
Like I said I'm not familiar with pro tools, but in Reaper there's a function where you can group all the tracks (press the "G" key), and with that it's far less time consuming because you can edit all the tracks at once.

Yes, and there is something similar in PT, I am still learning PT working in the studio and such, but I can't remember the shortcut off the top of my head.

problem with grouping tracks like that is that the tracks have to be played well and in time in the first place to edit like that.
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
Yes, and there is something similar in PT, I am still learning PT working in the studio and such, but I can't remember the shortcut off the top of my head.

problem with grouping tracks like that is that the tracks have to be played well and in time in the first place to edit like that.

Not necessarily if you can see the transients clearly. As long as you go from left to right for each track together, it should be the same. But then again, it might get confusing if it's super far off. Either way, if it's that far off time, the person shouldn't be recording anyways (unless it's just for fun).
Quote by Meelad360
Not necessarily if you can see the transients clearly. As long as you go from left to right for each track together, it should be the same. But then again, it might get confusing if it's super far off. Either way, if it's that far off time, the person shouldn't be recording anyways (unless it's just for fun).

Yeah, thats what i'm saying. not that its impossible, but if you line em' all up like that you might get kind of confused if they're super far off, in which case it may be easier to do them one at a time, and get them to a point of workable tracks and then go back and do it again.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Thanks guys for the real help! Btw I'm good at playing to a metronome and playing precise I just want my shit to sound almost "inhuman" because that's what the recording is for, if I wanted to listen to a live recording I would go to a show. Anyone that listens to metal knows that it's edited to all hell and personally I love the way it comes out when it sound's so "tight" its mechanical. Well anyways thanks for finally some real advice other than just saying how stupid I am haha :P
Quote by Kenova
Thanks guys for the real help! Btw I'm good at playing to a metronome and playing precise I just want my shit to sound almost "inhuman" because that's what the recording is for, if I wanted to listen to a live recording I would go to a show. Anyone that listens to metal knows that it's edited to all hell and personally I love the way it comes out when it sound's so "tight" its mechanical. Well anyways thanks for finally some real advice other than just saying how stupid I am haha :P

totally dude. like, don't even humanize the drums, and slipedit the crap out of the thing. I even had a friend who quantized the guitar tracks...
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Another useful technique I use is to move the track I'm editing underneath the kick and snare parts. Use the kick and snare to visually help you be precise in where to move the part you're editing.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.