Hey UG,

I'm restringing my new Gretsch.. but I'm wondering, is it important that the string really 'surrounds' the tuner on the headstock? Or are like 2 turns enough? I hope you know what I'm talkin about

BvH
Gear:

Fender American Strat, texas specials
Fender Tele Baja
VOX AC15
Ibanez Analog Delay
Boss Keeley Blues Driver
Katana boost
Dunlop Wah
^ He's talking about windings, not how to restring.

anyway, TS, you normally want about anywhere between 2 and 3 winds around the peg.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
you normally want about anywhere between 2 and 3 winds around the peg.

this is pretty much what i was gonna say, though i usually go for 3-4 on the lower 3 (D, A, E) and 4-5 on the higher ones (e, B, G)
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
I put my strings through with a small bit of slack, then I tune 'em up and snip the ends off. That usually leaves my high strings with 1-3 windings. On my lower strings, sometimes they don't even go around it once. As long as it stays in the tuner and doesn't slip you'll be fine.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Thats why I use the method I posted earlier, there is no slippage and the guitar stays intune better because there is less string that can stretch.
I wind as much takes to get a good angle between the nut and tuner post. Most tuning problems involve nut snag and the right amount of windings around the post means the string will leave the post at the appropriate point height wise and put minimal download pressure of the string on the nut. It should be just enough pressure to keep the string from popping out of the nut. This usually means on 3 per side headstocks set at an angle require more wounds for the D and G strings a little less for the A and B Strings and minimal for the high and low E strings. Make sense?