Page 1 of 2
Hello Everyone! I'm currently a sophomore in high school, and I've recently taken to looking at colleges. I'm pretty fixed on going to school for music, or audio production.

Anyway I've been playing guitar for...well I forget actually, it could be anywhere from 3-5 years. However, I've only been working with music theory for under a year. My grades aren't too good. I usually get B's and C's and sometimes a D might like to creep in there. I go to a technical high school so I take an audio production course everyday, and I will continue to do so until I graduate.

I'm also having lessons given by a former student of Berklee, however things have apparently changed allot since then.

I've read that if I show something at least decent at the audition, and I have the money, then I can get in, but I don't want to act like it's "no big deal" to get in.

Also, I casually play guitar everyday. I'll admit, I'm not committing 6 hours to it every day, but I honestly believe that all I really need now is the music theory, and a bit of imagination to put together some music that can stand out. I'm confident that I have the ability to play almost anything I need to, but I am week at making my own stuff.

Thanks everyone!
Nice blog
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Kankuro
I'll post the mandatory 'slim to none'.

Ha, sometimes I hear that, other times I hear that people get in with a less than impressive audition...but they have lots of money too.
I think the user Xiaoxi attends Berklee, not 100% though. Maybe give him a message?

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Money is definitely a good thing in this particular scenario.
666 BRO
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I think the user Xiaoxi attends Berklee, not 100% though. Maybe give him a message?

Hey I think I'll give it a try. Thanks!
If I can't get into Berklee, I want to look into going somewhere over seas, preferably to an English speaking country like England. But I doubt this would be any cheaper, and I'm probably immature to want to go just because it's in another country. But you know, I think I'd learn allot from people of a different country. A bit of a different way of thinking you know?
Why do you want to go too berkle? If you want to learn music theory, then search the web, or go to the libary and read / study .. if you just want to make pop / rock / metal you don't need much theory other than what books can give you pretty easy..
Dutc tape solves all up to equations of 4. degree

Bugera 333xl
Peavey 5150 Cab
TC Electronics G-major
RG1527 w/ Dimarzio X2n-7 and Evo-7
Kramer Voyager
Ltd JH-600 w/ 2 emg 81, floyd rose and S and key inlays
Fender Classic 50 strat
Quote by Austindicola
If I can't get into Berklee, I want to look into going somewhere over seas, preferably to an English speaking country like England. But I doubt this would be any cheaper, and I'm probably immature to want to go just because it's in another country. But you know, I think I'd learn allot from people of a different country. A bit of a different way of thinking you know?

Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
What there a question somewhere in the OP? I read it but I dont remember a question actually being posed, and I'm not reading it again.

If not, I'll state the mandatory, "Cool Story Bro".
What are you looking to go for??? I am looking for the same stuff but found The Art Institute in Brookline to honestly be better than Berkley for me. Berkley to me is a bunch of stuck up kids with alota money from mommy and daddy who have no real passion in the music itself. If you got the money, you can get into Berkley but hell ain't cheap. AI isn't either, for a 4 year degree there it would be 140,000 on average in Audio Production.... yup... shitload of cash
they have a summer program that i got invited to and i had shit grades.
this signature has my gear in it. nothing more, nothing less

Gear
Ibanez S770PB
Jackson Rhoads
Custom Strat
Agile Al 3100
Rainbow Music Shop Custom Les Paul
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Spider III
Congrats, you want to go to a school to get a meaningless degree in music and waste a lot of money doing it :p
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I'm very glad i live en Denmark.. education is FREE .. MUHAHA.. learn if capitalistic americans ..

Bugera 333xl
Peavey 5150 Cab
TC Electronics G-major
Kramer Voyager
Fender Classic 50 strat
EDIT: I get paid to educate, i get about 1000 dollars a month..

Bugera 333xl
Peavey 5150 Cab
TC Electronics G-major
Kramer Voyager
Fender Classic 50 strat
You're going to want a music degree if you want a career teaching and it goes a long way to getting you into session playing. If you're serious about playing jazz or classical guitar as a career you'd almost definitely want to go to music school for all the "I dnt need muzic skool i can learnz stairway to heaven with tabz" guys on here. Going to a school with a reputation like berklee nearly guarantees you a good education and a pretty good chance at a job in music when you get out but i'm sure there are alternatives if you're not good enough/don't have the cash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alumni_of_Berklee_College_of_Music
Listen everyone, I want to go to a good school because I need to social experience of music. Being couped up in my room is getting me no where. Besides, Berklee is just an idea, I'll still be looking for the next two years. I doubt we'll have the money for it anyway.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
How 'bad' is your music theory?

Pretty seriously limited. I've got my major and minor scales down (but who doesn't?), I'm getting decent at improvisation and fitting things together, and I'm getting into allot of chord structure too.

Like I said, it's pathetic. But I think If I spend my time well enough I'll be able to fill in allot of the gaps
Berklee's audition/application process and requirements are clearly spelled out on the official website. You don't really need anyone else to tell you what to do in that aspect.

Keep in mind that going to a music conservatory is not fun and games. If you treat it like it is, you're going to be wasting a lot of money and time and ultimately be screwed once it's over. If you commit to this kind of school, it should be the beginning of your professional career and you will have to do a lot more than is required.

But you're only a sophomore in high school, don't be too "fixed" on anything yet. Keep your options open, even non-musical ones. When I was around that time, my biggest ambition was to "make it" in a rock band. Now I couldn't care less about that lifestyle or career path.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 28, 2011,
Hey Austin. I'm a current Berklee student (and not getting paid for my testimony here...).

Definitely apply, from what you stated it sounds like you have a great shot at getting in here. You will develop a load of great industry connections as well as have an awesome time getting better at playing. Check out my group Helicopria. It's a pretty good example of 5 Berklee students coming together and writing some kickass music in our first two years here.
Quote by Austindicola
Pretty seriously limited. I've got my major and minor scales down (but who doesn't?), I'm getting decent at improvisation and fitting things together, and I'm getting into allot of chord structure too.

Like I said, it's pathetic. But I think If I spend my time well enough I'll be able to fill in allot of the gaps

Let me rephrase.
Not just guitar theory, but all round theory.
Key signatures, intervals, harmony, counterpoint etc
Quote by Xiaoxi
Berklee's audition/application process and requirements are clearly spelled out on the official website. You don't really need anyone else to tell you what to do in that aspect.

But you're only a sophomore in high school, don't be too "fixed" on anything yet. Keep your options open, even non-musical ones. When I was around that time, my biggest ambition was to "make it" in a rock band. Now I couldn't care less about that lifestyle or career path.

I looked at everything on the website, but "formally" stated information always seems to translate differently. I would expect that maybe the people giving the auditions would think and make decisions a bit differently than how the site states.

Also I have NO interest what so ever in making it big or being some kind of "rock star". I don't want that at all. It just bugs me not having the talent and experience that I want.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Let me rephrase.

People always tend to overstate how "prepared" you need to be to get into a music school. While it doesn't hurt to know these things in advance, I can tell you that most colleges do not expect you to know much theory, much less the concept of counterpoint...which most people who graduate from music school still don't fully grasp (can YOU write a tonal fugue?). You go to college to learn all these things that people here insist on.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
People always tend to overstate how "prepared" you need to be to get into a music school. While it doesn't hurt to know these things in advance, I can tell you that most colleges do not expect you to know much theory, much less the concept of counterpoint...which most people who graduate from music school still don't fully grasp (can YOU write a tonal fugue?). You go to college to learn all these things that people here insist on.

I'm guessing this Berklee is a top school. Better school for music than my university.

When I'd left high school, I knew all my keys, could recognise intervals by ear and had a strong knowledge of harmony.

Quote by lockwolf
Congrats, you want to go to a school to get a meaningless degree in music and waste a lot of money doing it :p

Every degree you get fits under that category. It's all in how you use it.
Quote by Austindicola
I looked at everything on the website, but "formally" stated information always seems to translate differently. I would expect that maybe the people giving the auditions would think and make decisions a bit differently than how the site states.

Listen, I work for the auditions/interview process, so I can assure you that the professors play it very close by the book to give everyone an equal consideration. The descriptions on the site is exactly what you should expect, so disregard what everyone else says.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Let me rephrase.

Ha, hand me a dictionary and maybe I can tell you. Be in all honestly, I've just gotten into reading, and I'm struggling with it. I've only began first position, and I've only learned the first 5 strings. Also, my reading is aimed at guitar, so I have no experience with the bass staff. Time signatures are becoming pretty clear to me, intervals are working their way in as well. To be honest I can't define harmony or counterpoint. Which I'm sure is a problem.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Listen, I work for the auditions/interview process, so I can assure you that the professors play it very close by the book to give everyone an equal consideration. The descriptions on the site is exactly what you should expect, so disregard what everyone else says.

Hmm, that's pretty good to know, thanks!
Quote by Austindicola
Ha, hand me a dictionary and maybe I can tell you. Be in all honestly, I've just gotten into reading, and I'm struggling with it. I've only began first position, and I've only learned the first 5 strings. Also, my reading is aimed at guitar, so I have no experience with the bass staff. Time signatures are becoming pretty clear to me, intervals are working their way in as well. To be honest I can't define harmony or counterpoint. Which I'm sure is a problem.

Counterpoint won't be, but at least a basic grasp of harmony should be. If you're only just learning reading, I'd advise you really step up. The people you'll be against will have been reading in 2/3 clefs for years.

If you ever need any help, don't hesistate to pm me or Xiaoxi (can't spell it at all ) who is extremely clever when it comes to theory.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
I'm guessing this Berklee is a top school. Better school for music than my university.

When I'd left high school, I knew all my keys, could recognise intervals by ear and had a strong knowledge of harmony.

That's fine, but most people don't have those skills and knowledge when they leave high school. Unfortunately, the modern world thinks it's impossible for a kid to grasp tonal harmony or voice leading, or any of the other "advanced concepts" that composers like Mendelssohn and Bach took to learn before they were 10.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Counterpoint won't be, but at least a basic grasp of harmony should be. If you're only just learning reading, I'd advise you really step up. The people you'll be against will have been reading in 2/3 clefs for years.

If you ever need any help, don't hesistate to pm me or Xiaoxi (can't spell it at all ) who is extremely clever when it comes to theory.

That's awesome thanks! Could I ask for the basic concept of harmony? Just some of the stuff it involves? It seems to be a pretty big thing
Quote by Austindicola
That's awesome thanks! Could I ask for the basic concept of harmony? Just some of the stuff it involves? It seems to be a pretty big thing

It's a bit more tricky than that.

At its most basic, it's how notes interact with one another. How different intervals sound when played at the same time. A lot of the harmony taught is for voice.

But I can't really simplify it unless I had examples in from of me. Xiaoxi is the man to ask.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
It's a bit more tricky than that.

At its most basic, it's how notes interact with one another. How different intervals sound when played at the same time. A lot of the harmony taught is for voice.

But I can't really simplify it unless I had examples in from of me. Xiaoxi is the man to ask.

No I think I know where your going. So harmony should provide the basis for counterpoint then? Also, when I look up counterpoint it seems just to be two or more notes of equal value or importance played at once, but by how everyone seams to dread it, I'm guessing it's MUCH more than just that?
Well yeah, harmony is how notes stacked (to put it as basically as possible) are related to each other.

Counterpoint is how the notes relate to each other horizontally. But you need a grasp of harmony to write counterpoint, as the notes still have to sound good together.

Just remember

Harmony=vertical
Counterpoint=horizontal
Page 1 of 2