A few picks I've had my eyey on to test out over the past year are the V-Picks, 2.75 mm Small Pointed and Screamer in particular. Also, the Dunlop Jazztones and Primetone and the Planet Waves Black Ice Extra Heavy .

Just wondering if the guys here who have used them could let me know how they found them, as no local stores where I am stock them, so I can't really try before I buy and DAMN, V-Picks are expensive, not to mention shipping.

Just to preface this, I started off using the Fender Smaller Teardrop picks, than Dunlop 1.14 mm Purple Tortex , and finally Ultex Jazz III 1.36 mm (though I still use all of those picks for different things). Things I really look for in a picks are first of all, the tip. Regular jazz III's have this tiny bit of plastic lining round the tip, and that really pisses me off, the picks get caught on the strings and give (IMHO) a shitty tone. So if the tip is smooth that's something I really look for. As well as being somewhat thick, anywhere from the Jazz III Ultex size (1.36 mm) to around 5 mm. As far as size goes I dig the dunlop jazz size, fits perfectly around my hand.
Last edited by jesse music at Mar 28, 2011,
Dunlop Teckpick > all.

Red is the best.

And plastic picks are for girls.

I hate plastic tone.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
Carbon Fiber Max Grip Jazz III's.

Best. Picks. Ever.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Quote by Tim the Rocker
Dunlop Teckpick > all.

Red is the best.

And plastic picks are for girls.

I hate plastic tone.

You get your tone from your pick? I get mine from the guitar/amp. Played with a variety of picks and never had a tonal change from the pics.
Quote by syntheticocean
You get your tone from your pick? I get mine from the guitar/amp. Played with a variety of picks and never had a tonal change from the pics.

The overall Tone is based on various minor tones.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
I use a Dunlop Big Stubby 2.0mm (purple), i think it's the best pick i ever used
Gear

Fender Squier Stratocaster
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Line6 Spider III 75W
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Small jazztone pointed is awesome. I hated the V picks but thats me.

Best jazz pick for me is the intune xj 1.14.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
syntheticocean: sorry dude, links up.

Tim the Rocker: Thanks for the recommendation, but standard size picks are not really my thing, I preffer the jazz/teardrop size.

Scopic: I haven't used the Carbon Fiber Max Grip Jazz III's in particular, but all of the other jazz III's (bar the ultex) have had that annoying plastic strip round the tip, I just assumed the others would have as well.

Shin83320: I've used stubby picks. My first impression, was damn nice thickness, great improvement in picking ability. However, especially on the 3.0 mm version, there is once again, this line of plastic round the tip which (for me) makes precise picking really hard.

pigeonmafia: Thanks for the info, I was going to go for the small pointed size, can I ask what gauge pick you went for?

DocArunas: Couldn't agree more, my favorite pick at the moment

Austin174: As I said before, standard size picks aren't really my thing but thanks for your input.
For the InTune xj? 1.14mm. No give at all in the pick. You can get them in higher gauges though if you want something even thicker
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Great question. Picks are the first part of the entire tone chain (picks -> strings -> pickups -> guitar wood/construction -> effects -> amp -> speakers) and vitally important in my opinion. I've experimented with various ones for years. Currently my favorite is the Red Bear Big Jazzer. There is a slight high pitched 'chirp' with the notes when playing with distortion that I don't like, and they are expensive but otherwise these picks are close to perfect for me. The tone is great, and they glide over the strings noticeably easier than, say, Jim Dunlop Jazz III's (which I used to use). The Big Jazzer name is misleading as they are really only a fraction larger than the Dunlops.
Last edited by andrew_k at Mar 28, 2011,
Jesus, the price of V picks in just a rip off.

Do they benefit your playing much? or isit just personal pref. compared to others ?
I've ordered some V Picks, should be here tomorrow. I've heard they're really comfortable and glide through the strings nice and easy, but they're prone to making weird noises. I'll drop by with a little review after I've played them a bit.

I really like the Ibanez Paul Gilbert signature picks; they have the same basic shape as a Jazz III, but they're thinner (though still rigid) and larger (for easier grip).
I have one V-Pick. The shredder model. Normally, I use Dunlop Jazz III's and the Shredder pick was kinda nice. It wasn't better than the Dunlops though. It does make sweep picking a tiny bit easier and I can pick a tiny bit faster with it... probably because it is really pointy.
Yeah