There are some thruts in there i made the mistake of buying a line 6 pod before loose pedals however it did help me find out what kind of sounds i liked and what pedals to use for them so now i can just get the pedals i need insted of throwing away €100+ on a pedal im not gonna use anymore...
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
I agree with the guitar and amp part, mainly because I'm in the process of saving for a mesa dual rec and thought about just spending what I have on a smaller amp because I could afford it right away. Then I realize I would probably still want to get the dual rectifier at a later date anyway.

I'm not too sure about the effects part though. A good cheap multieffects unit can really help a player determine their overall style and what effects they really need, then they can get those boutique pedals.
Twitter

LTD EC-1000 (Vintage Black)
Schecter Damien-FR
Crate Flexwave 120W

INDECISIVE AMP FUND: $500/$
i agree on the tube amp part

but it has to be a real classic like an old marshall or something that surely holds its value, and you have to buy it used, because if you buy it new you almost always lose money in the end

it can work with pedals as well but i think amps are safer
the 300$ botique pedals could end up being a collectors item, but they might as well end up getting sold for 30$ on ebay, you never know, especially as a beginner
the multifx units don't have much resale value, in fact they usually break rather soon, but the versatility that you get can really help you finding what (good gear) you want
whereas amps usually don't do this so it might really be a better idea to choose buying an old school classic over a new amp that sounds slightly better to you at this point but won't hold its value
in principle that is a good article but it is not very well researched price wise. for $500 you can get a MIM strat new not a squier and can if you look hard enough get a US made strat used. there are a bunch of Tube amps that are way under a grand as well. the article also says nothing about where all this extra cash you should be saving is coming from nor what you do in the mean time. you also have to figure out where to draw the line or you would just save forever to get that "better" piece of gear. the thing about boutique pedals is just plain stupid. plenty of good fx pedals can be had for far less that $300. i have pedals that i've used for the last 20 years and don't own a single boutique one. sure a cheap crap multi-fx unit won't last but there are plenty of good ones to be found that will.
Quote by pto654
I agree with the guitar and amp part, mainly because I'm in the process of saving for a mesa dual rec and thought about just spending what I have on a smaller amp because I could afford it right away. Then I realize I would probably still want to get the dual rectifier at a later date anyway.

I'm not too sure about the effects part though. A good cheap multieffects unit can really help a player determine their overall style and what effects they really need, then they can get those boutique pedals.

Thanks! Yes i think you might be right about cheap multieffects there, they can certainly be useful that way. I was only talking from a money point of view. If you realize the amount of money you spend on low quality gear over your guitar playing years, it's scary!
best,
Roger
Quote by monwobobbo
in principle that is a good article but it is not very well researched price wise. for $500 you can get a MIM strat new not a squier and can if you look hard enough get a US made strat used. there are a bunch of Tube amps that are way under a grand as well. the article also says nothing about where all this extra cash you should be saving is coming from nor what you do in the mean time. you also have to figure out where to draw the line or you would just save forever to get that "better" piece of gear. the thing about boutique pedals is just plain stupid. plenty of good fx pedals can be had for far less that $300. i have pedals that i've used for the last 20 years and don't own a single boutique one. sure a cheap crap multi-fx unit won't last but there are plenty of good ones to be found that will.

Hi, yes you are right about the prices, im from Europe so i didnt know about these prices in USA. People pay 1500 dollars (in euros) here for a MIM strat!?!
Ok and the boutique pedal thing, youre right of course, there's plenty of classic pedals that are not boutique like TS9, RAT, dd-3 etcetera.
Maybe i should change the price quotes in the article?
Roger
Quote by Roger Axe
Hi, yes you are right about the prices, im from Europe so i didnt know about these prices in USA. People pay 1500 dollars (in euros) here for a MIM strat!?!
Ok and the boutique pedal thing, youre right of course, there's plenty of classic pedals that are not boutique like TS9, RAT, dd-3 etcetera.
Maybe i should change the price quotes in the article?
Roger

perhaps however it would seem that you haven't done much homework on this article. the logic you use is fine in a perfect world however you take a very simplistic view on the subject. should players just buy the best equipment available? ideally yes but once again this isn't a perfect world. upgrading gear is a very natural process for musicians. there is a great deal to learn from getting the most out of the gear you have (and can actually afford). as nice as it would be to have top end gear it's not realistic for many. just saying "well save more" is to simple of an answer that doesn't take "life" in consideration. assuming that all players agree with a statement like Suhr's are way better than anything Fender makes is not the best plan. i'm a Fender guy and have played Suhr and Tom Anderson strats, didn't find either to be worth the extra money. play a couple of custom shop fenders and then come back and talk.
Quote by monwobobbo
perhaps however it would seem that you haven't done much homework on this article. the logic you use is fine in a perfect world however you take a very simplistic view on the subject. should players just buy the best equipment available? ideally yes but once again this isn't a perfect world. upgrading gear is a very natural process for musicians. there is a great deal to learn from getting the most out of the gear you have (and can actually afford). as nice as it would be to have top end gear it's not realistic for many. just saying "well save more" is to simple of an answer that doesn't take "life" in consideration. assuming that all players agree with a statement like Suhr's are way better than anything Fender makes is not the best plan. i'm a Fender guy and have played Suhr and Tom Anderson strats, didn't find either to be worth the extra money. play a couple of custom shop fenders and then come back and talk.

Hi Monwobobbo,
you're right, i will take out that statement about Fender and Suhr and such, it probably doesn't fall well with some people. I was just stating my personal opinion but maybe that shouldn't be inside.
I know upgrading gear is natural, i'm justing pointing that sometimes it really pays to wait some more, save cash a little longer and get something a bit more up the quality scale. I'll take your thoughts in and change the article.
Thanks everyone who replied.

I've received a lot of criticism on my article, some of which was very helpful, so i've decided to update my article a bit, i've taken in most of your suggestions, thanks for that. Here's the update:
all the best,
Roger

UPDATE 29 march 2011: After some reactions to this article i have to put things into perspective a bit:
I'm not saying that you can only buy quality gear at a high price, there are many great deals to be had if you shop smart. And yes, there are also great tube amps available for around 500 bucks...
And, if you're a beginner, don't worry about your budget, take a guitar playing friend to the shop and try out your various options and choose the best one.
Thanks for all your reactions!

http://www.guitarhow.com/23_guitarhow_buying_gear_think_big.html
your article is a little better but still misses the mark especially on the fx. dude advising people to blow $300 on one pedal instead of a multifx unit is not sound. perhaps encouraging them to buy individual fx which usually have better quality would be more appropriate. you also make a huge assumption about what people will be doing in 5 years. pushing boutique isn't practical and honestly often not a good bet until the person has enough experience to understand why and if that pedal is for them. i'd never spend that much on a pedal unless i was positive that i'd use it for life and that i couldn't achieve that sound cheaper. so far i haven't found that pedal.
ah well sorry but i do not agree with you... i can get a guitar that does the job for me for around 600 and i dont see a reason to save up all the time. sometimes the time is more important than that result in the very end... tho yeah saving up is always good but at some point there's the stop you want to take... otherwise you could save up all the time haha there's always the better-for-more

and the MFX thigny. sometimes people just want one unit to do the job so they don't drag the huge pedalboard/case all the time... some other people can't really afford all the pedals they need for live performance and go with MFX... some other people do not need that TOP-NOTCH sound from a boutique pedal ad just need tons of sounds for tons of fun in heir bedroom... so it's all down to personal preference and the situation. ,what is wrong for one is totally right for someone else
In my case I spent the last five years with different half stacks before wising up and realizing I don't need a huge amp and all those speakers. Now I am selling my half stack to get a 1x12 or maybe 2x12 combo.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)