Hi UG

Question: if I build pedals from a schematic and sold them to a frien or a couple of people at the guitar shop would this be considered piracy? would it still be if change the value of a component?

Thanks in advance
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
It's not piracy, but it's still copyright infringement, or something to do with Patent Infringement. Dunno if it still counts if you change components.
I do this all the time. So do many others. 90% of pedals you see on GC or wherever are basically clones. usually modified of other pedals. For instance, probably 95% of the overdrives you see are based on the Tubescreamer.

Although, in my case at least, when I am done, what I end up with looks very little like what I start with.
A lot of people, myself included, take little bits of several circuits and toss them together.
Legally it's copyright infringement, but companies don't usually chase down individuals unless they produce and market the things in any sort of quantity. Making a small number of clones at home is not really a problem.
Depends on the actual pedal and schematic, patent protections etc.

Your question can't be answered without more information.

But no one is going to pursue you for a few hundred bucks anyway.

So, what are you making?
With all that being said, most of what some of the various companies/people selling pedals that are generally modified clones of "old school" pedals. Some of whose companies are no longer around.
There are also TONS of DIY layouts and such for making your own pedals. Many of which there are no restrictions on.
ZVex is one company I know of that really frowns on use of their designs.

I generally build about 1 pedal a week. Thats around 50 a year, of which I sell maybe 10 or 20, depending on if I like it or not. I may get a request like "Hey can you make me another XYZ pedal", I do, but I rarely make one pedal more than twice. I get bored easily.

If you just wanted to make one for yourself, pretty much any design is fair game (Well, not really, but whose gonna know?).

Edit:
Not trying to dissuade you or anything, but if you are just trying to go for an easy buck and not because its something you think you would enjoy, find something else.
QUALITY Pedal design and building is a lot of work. and not exactly cheap either if you want to get into your own designs.

Protip: When using transistors or ICs, always use sockets. Never solder them directly to the board. This makes it easier to swap out components to see what sounds best. And some components are sensitive to heat.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 28, 2011,
Unless the pedal has a patent (like the Rockman) it's okay. Normally schematics are not copywrite protected, since 99% are based on prior pedal designs anyway. Otherwise if all the companies sued each other it would end up like a circular firing squad. The thing that is protected is their exterior name brand image. Don't sell something with graphics on it that looks just like the MXR block logo using the same font with different initials. It's like selling a new soda drink imitating the look of Coca-Cola's recognizable logo style. just don't try to pass it off as the real thing like a counterfeit copy. Rename it to call it something else and give it your own unique look.
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
Last edited by Yngwie#1 at Mar 28, 2011,
Most pedals are never patented and use circuits that are now in the public domain. If you do things like a tube screamer, ross compressor, and other older pedals there isn't much anyone can do to you. Hell... most companies can't do anything to you anyway since their so called "original" pedals are just copies of older ones or ripped off of people that design them for others to use freely.

That said... its not exactly cheap
Okay thanks for the replies guys
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
I believe its the actual circuit board layout that is whats copyrighted, not the schematic. There are some really good posts about this over at the diystompboxes forum. They get rabid about posting copyrighted stuff... they seem to know whats up.